The Secret World of Polly Flint by Helen…

The Secret World of Polly Flint (1982)

by Helen Cresswell

English (3)  German (1)  All languages (4)
I have taken so many snippets from this book deep into my mind... every spring I hear Polly saying 'it's not spring until you can put your foot on 12 daisies', and often when I look across a misty lake I remember 'water always finds it's own level.' I re-read it because I went back to Wellow and saw the maypole and suddenly the whole book came flooding back. ( )
  atreic | Jul 15, 2011 |
My 5-star rating comes from how much I loved this book as a kid. I'm not sure I'd like it as much now. But when I was younger this was my kind of escape. I even used the idea for the essay of my entrance exam to high school. ( )
  Thalia | Apr 29, 2006 |

"Have they told you?" His voice was lowered now, he was speaking of secrets to be told.

"Told me? What?"

"Of the lost village..."

As soon as she arrives in Wellow, Polly Flint knows there is magic in the place. And she should know because she is an unusual girl who can see things others can't. The story goes that if you put your ear to the ground on Sundays you could hear the church bells of the missing village of Grimstone.

But Polly Flint seems to be able to call up the village that had disappeared from the face of the earth - and the people who lived in it, as they slip in and out of time.

Polly Flint, a girl who sees things other people can't, finds herself involved with the "time gypsies" of Grimstone, inhabitants of a lost village who have become trapped in a time not their own.

1 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,141,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible