Art & Max by David Wiesner

Art & Max

by David Wiesner

Arthur is a talented artist. Max is enthusiastic to learn. But when Max gets a little ahead of himself, trouble follows and Arthur may never be the same. Then again, he may be even better. This a funny book about the adventures art can take us on, but having read a few of Wiesner's wordless picture books I can't help but think I might like this one even more if it were wordless too. ( )
  adrouet | Apr 29, 2019 |
This book is about two chameleons, Arthur and Max, who are painting art, Max ends up painting Arthur instead of his canvas. At first this creates conflict, but eventually Arthur gets over it. This book has huge illustrations with beautiful art work in it. This book models how to make a short story that appeals to children of young age, and how to create art that matches the words beautifully. ( )
  kgautier | Oct 12, 2018 |
I could use this in the classroom through having students discuss the different types of art.
Have them explain to each other what was happening in the illustrations that do not have words. ( )
  jharding16 | Oct 10, 2018 |
Picture book about an artist and his friend where one of them gets "erased" and then drawn again. Fun exploration of art and the illustrations are great. ( )
  lycomayflower | Jul 6, 2018 |
This book is about a lizard named Max who wants to paint like his friend Arthur. The only problem is... he doesn't know how to paint!! He ends up painting Arthur, and goes through different types of art mediums in order to learn to paint and do art.
  arilove808 | Feb 11, 2018 |

Art is an artist, and Max would like to be an artist. When trouble arises and Art is changed because of Max, they go through a series of different adventures until Art is put back again. If I were teaching this to younger students, we would look at theme and what is being said by Art and how Max proves himself by the end to be an artist, just not the type of artist that Art thought he should be. The art was, of course a great, and the story flowed from page to the next smoothly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618756639, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: With eye-popping illustrations, three-time Caldecott medalist David Wiesner takes readers on a stunning journey through the art world. Art & Max is the story of two artists: Art, a collared lizard who is studiously painting a portrait when we first meet him, and Max, who has just picked up paints and brushes and is ready to go. What follows is a magical journey of explosive color--brilliantly highlighted by the desert background--where acrylic paints, watercolor, and line drawings, are deconstructed and re-invented, and Art undergoes a Jackson Pollack-like transformation. Combining minimal text with remarkable images, this is a book to be cherished and poured over, inspiring the artist in all of us.--Seira Wilson

Amazon Exclusive From Author David Wiesner: The Development of Art & Max
(Click on images to enlarge)

Introduction to the photos below:
These images show the development of the opening spread for my latest picture book, Art & Max. Given that a picture book is so brief, the opening pages must set the scene and introduce the characters in a concise and effective way. On the half title and title pages of Art & Max, I show Max racing across the landscape, from left to right. Now, on pages 4 and 5, he enters the scene as the story begins.

This drawing is from an early dummy, before I had fully designed the characters or fully worked out the story. Max was originally a chameleon, but I decided to make him a Collared Lizard instead. I have reversed the position of Arthur and Max to continue the left to right movement from the title page. I am exploring body stances to find an expressive interaction between the two characters. This isn’t it. Arthur is beginning to look better. Their physical relationship still doesn't feel right. Here the characters are looking good, but I think Max still needs to burst onto the scene somehow. Now Max is off his feet, literally flying into the picture, and the landscape has also come together. The scene, painted, as it appears in the book. The story of Art & Max has begun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:34 -0400)

Max wants to be an artist like Arthur, but his first attempt at using a paintbrush sends the two friends on a whirlwind trip through various media, with unexpected consequences.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,793,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible