Art & Max by David Wiesner

Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Wordless/Concept/Counting Book

Art & Max by David Wiesner

Oh wow. Best since "Tuesday" - better in some ways. Love the little ones! I could see sharing this over and over again - it wouldn't take long before a 3 year-old would read it to mom & dad. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This modern fantasy tells the story of two reptiles, Arthur and Max who share the same interest in painting. Max is learning how to become a painter. His first attempt sends the two through different media of artists. He fails repeatedly, but he still has courage that he will be successful. He then completes his art and Arthur is proud of him.
  BayleeWestrick | Apr 13, 2015 |
Arthur knows how to paint. He is ready to share his wisdom with Max. This book made me laugh aloud, it could be used for an art lesson.
  peyrobs | Apr 12, 2015 |
Summary: This is a hilarious book about a little lizard named Max who wants to paint running up to an artist lizard and asking to paint. Reluctantly, Art tells Max he can paint him, which is where everything goes crazy. ( )
  AmandaLK | Apr 12, 2015 |
This book is about two friends, Art and Max who love to paint. Art is already an artist, but Max thinks he is as well, and makes a mess from the beginning! Art tells Max to try and paint him and that’s exactly what he does! Before you know it, Arthur is covered in paint and furious. He tries to shake off the paint and it blends together like watercolors. Max turns on a giant fan to blow the paint off, which doesn’t work either. Next, Max gives Art some water to drink and all of sudden, the paint washes away and only the outline drawing of Art is left! The outline falls to the ground in a tangled mess and Max struggles to put Art back together. After this is accomplished, Max uses a vacuum cleaner to blow the paint back onto Art and makes a masterpiece of color. Art is pleased with his new look and they both begin painting again.
I like the theme of “personal creativity” that is expressed throughout this story. Max and Art have two different ideas of what art is, but both agree in the end. I also like this book because of the soft, detailed watercolor illustrations on each page. For taking place in a desert, the colors are used beautifully! I also like the fact that there is very little text in this story. This allows the reader to use the illustrations to predict what the characters are thinking and what is happening next. You can read this story several different ways and some of the characters in the pictures are not even mentioned in the story. For example, there are two other lizards with Art and Max on each page who are involved in story, but are not mentioned in the text. This allows for the reader to make up their own version of the story and how these two lizards fit in. Weisner is well known for having little or no text in some of his books, which leads to using your own imagination! ( )
  KristyPratt | Apr 6, 2015 |
"Careful, Max!"

Art is an artist, and Max would like to be an artist. When trouble arises and Art is changed because of Max, they go through a series of different adventures until Art is put back again. If I were teaching this to younger students, we would look at theme and what is being said by Art and how Max proves himself by the end to be an artist, just not the type of artist that Art thought he should be. The art was, of course a great, and the story flowed from page to the next smoothly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618756639, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: With eye-popping illustrations, three-time Caldecott medalist David Wiesner takes readers on a stunning journey through the art world. Art & Max is the story of two artists: Art, a collared lizard who is studiously painting a portrait when we first meet him, and Max, who has just picked up paints and brushes and is ready to go. What follows is a magical journey of explosive color--brilliantly highlighted by the desert background--where acrylic paints, watercolor, and line drawings, are deconstructed and re-invented, and Art undergoes a Jackson Pollack-like transformation. Combining minimal text with remarkable images, this is a book to be cherished and poured over, inspiring the artist in all of us.--Seira Wilson

Amazon Exclusive From Author David Wiesner: The Development of Art & Max
(Click on images to enlarge)

Introduction to the photos below:
These images show the development of the opening spread for my latest picture book, Art & Max. Given that a picture book is so brief, the opening pages must set the scene and introduce the characters in a concise and effective way. On the half title and title pages of Art & Max, I show Max racing across the landscape, from left to right. Now, on pages 4 and 5, he enters the scene as the story begins.

This drawing is from an early dummy, before I had fully designed the characters or fully worked out the story. Max was originally a chameleon, but I decided to make him a Collared Lizard instead. I have reversed the position of Arthur and Max to continue the left to right movement from the title page. I am exploring body stances to find an expressive interaction between the two characters. This isn’t it. Arthur is beginning to look better. Their physical relationship still doesn't feel right. Here the characters are looking good, but I think Max still needs to burst onto the scene somehow. Now Max is off his feet, literally flying into the picture, and the landscape has also come together. The scene, painted, as it appears in the book. The story of Art & Max has begun.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:54 -0400)

Max wants to be an artist like Arthur, but his first attempt at using a paintbrush sends the two friends on a whirlwind trip through various media, with unexpected consequences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,572,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible