Art & Max by David Wiesner

Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Wordless/Concept/Counting Book

Art & Max by David Wiesner

Recently added bylnl005, emily.fratu, davidgn, private library, kali.joy, mollydaugherty, ReadingMentors

I truly enjoyed this lovely picture book. Simple in text yet rich in illustration leads to a beautiful semi-wordless book. What a twist in the middle with the unraveling of Art him- or it- self.
  kali.joy | Sep 16, 2015 |
Two lizard/gecko creatures have two different approaches to art. Arthur takes a traditional, pretentious stance, while Max is much more enthusiastic and ebullient. When Arthur grandly tells Max, "You can paint me," Max - like Amelia Bedelia - takes him literally. Then he finds creative solutions to get Arthur back to his normal color and shape. Once he's restored, Arthur is more open to Max's joyful approach. ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 11, 2015 |
Summary: A pesky little lizard, Art, makes a big mess, but forges a strong relationship with the more stable, talented Max.
Illustrations: Watercolor, realistic, deconstructed
Age Group:
Themes: sibling relations, annoyances, friendship, teamwork, messes, acceptance
My impressions: Wonderful story for kids of all ages. Appropriate, fun, great messages, beautiful, amazing illustrations. Would recommend to everyone.
Lesson Plan: Ask students if they identify more with Art or with Max, Why? Ask them if they know anyone who reminds them of Art or Max. Talk about the relationship between Art and Max and the beginning of the book and at the end. What changed? Why? Do you like the way the story ended? Have students complete a consensus board in small groups. ( )
  a.coote | Jun 4, 2015 |
Oh wow. Best since "Tuesday" - better in some ways. Love the little ones! I could see sharing this over and over again - it wouldn't take long before a 3 year-old would read it to mom & dad. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This modern fantasy tells the story of two reptiles, Arthur and Max who share the same interest in painting. Max is learning how to become a painter. His first attempt sends the two through different media of artists. He fails repeatedly, but he still has courage that he will be successful. He then completes his art and Arthur is proud of him.
  BayleeWestrick | Apr 13, 2015 |

Art is an artist, and Max would like to be an artist. When trouble arises and Art is changed because of Max, they go through a series of different adventures until Art is put back again. If I were teaching this to younger students, we would look at theme and what is being said by Art and how Max proves himself by the end to be an artist, just not the type of artist that Art thought he should be. The art was, of course a great, and the story flowed from page to the next smoothly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618756639, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: With eye-popping illustrations, three-time Caldecott medalist David Wiesner takes readers on a stunning journey through the art world. Art & Max is the story of two artists: Art, a collared lizard who is studiously painting a portrait when we first meet him, and Max, who has just picked up paints and brushes and is ready to go. What follows is a magical journey of explosive color--brilliantly highlighted by the desert background--where acrylic paints, watercolor, and line drawings, are deconstructed and re-invented, and Art undergoes a Jackson Pollack-like transformation. Combining minimal text with remarkable images, this is a book to be cherished and poured over, inspiring the artist in all of us.--Seira Wilson

Amazon Exclusive From Author David Wiesner: The Development of Art & Max
(Click on images to enlarge)

Introduction to the photos below:
These images show the development of the opening spread for my latest picture book, Art & Max. Given that a picture book is so brief, the opening pages must set the scene and introduce the characters in a concise and effective way. On the half title and title pages of Art & Max, I show Max racing across the landscape, from left to right. Now, on pages 4 and 5, he enters the scene as the story begins.

This drawing is from an early dummy, before I had fully designed the characters or fully worked out the story. Max was originally a chameleon, but I decided to make him a Collared Lizard instead. I have reversed the position of Arthur and Max to continue the left to right movement from the title page. I am exploring body stances to find an expressive interaction between the two characters. This isn’t it. Arthur is beginning to look better. Their physical relationship still doesn't feel right. Here the characters are looking good, but I think Max still needs to burst onto the scene somehow. Now Max is off his feet, literally flying into the picture, and the landscape has also come together. The scene, painted, as it appears in the book. The story of Art & Max has begun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:34 -0400)

Max wants to be an artist like Arthur, but his first attempt at using a paintbrush sends the two friends on a whirlwind trip through various media, with unexpected consequences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,705,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible