Art & Max by David Wiesner

Authors:David Wiesner
Info:Clarion Books (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Wordless/Concept/Counting Book

Art & Max by David Wiesner

Arthur tries to share is wisdom of painting with Max, an over excited lizard. Although this Wiesner literature has text, the images help tell the story.
  alcrumpler | Jul 21, 2014 |
Art and Max both like to paint. Art is an accomplished painter whereas Max is very curious about painting. Art and Max discover a lot about art and a lot about each other within the pages of this book.
  gfurth | Jun 12, 2014 |
Art & Max is a wonderful book that really shows the reader the the process behind art. It shows what it means to take something apart and start again, and it has two wonderfully silly characters who make this book as wonderful as it is. It starts off with one friend, Max, wanting to paint like his friend Arthur. Arthur knows how to paint and decides it is time that he allow his friend to learn from him. The story really begins when Max decides it would be a good idea to paint Arthur. The two characters go through an adventure from then on where the reader is taken through the process of art, all the way from pencil drawing to detailed paintings. This book is an excellent book to use with students to discuss art, as well as to discuss the idea of thinking about the entire process of something, not just the final product. ( )
  bblender | May 22, 2014 |
Wonderful book about art! The goofy main character shows us the process of art by reversing his friend into a bundle of thin pencil line. It's a great example of reverse engineering (the reverse of making something to find out how it was made). College kids would even take something away from this book, perhaps archaeology majors. I would definately read this to a class starting an art or science lesson. The colors and illustrations are great I like how the author leaves clues so we can make inferences to the next step in the creative process. ( )
  DayDreamBear | Feb 8, 2014 |
Wiesner work, Max wants to be an artist and ends up fantastically "un-doing" Art. Amsuing and fun results of art expermination
  bp0128bd | Jan 24, 2014 |
"Careful, Max!"

Art is an artist, and Max would like to be an artist. When trouble arises and Art is changed because of Max, they go through a series of different adventures until Art is put back again. If I were teaching this to younger students, we would look at theme and what is being said by Art and how Max proves himself by the end to be an artist, just not the type of artist that Art thought he should be. The art was, of course a great, and the story flowed from page to the next smoothly.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618756639, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: With eye-popping illustrations, three-time Caldecott medalist David Wiesner takes readers on a stunning journey through the art world. Art & Max is the story of two artists: Art, a collared lizard who is studiously painting a portrait when we first meet him, and Max, who has just picked up paints and brushes and is ready to go. What follows is a magical journey of explosive color--brilliantly highlighted by the desert background--where acrylic paints, watercolor, and line drawings, are deconstructed and re-invented, and Art undergoes a Jackson Pollack-like transformation. Combining minimal text with remarkable images, this is a book to be cherished and poured over, inspiring the artist in all of us.--Seira Wilson

Amazon Exclusive From Author David Wiesner: The Development of Art & Max
(Click on images to enlarge)

Introduction to the photos below:
These images show the development of the opening spread for my latest picture book, Art & Max. Given that a picture book is so brief, the opening pages must set the scene and introduce the characters in a concise and effective way. On the half title and title pages of Art & Max, I show Max racing across the landscape, from left to right. Now, on pages 4 and 5, he enters the scene as the story begins.

This drawing is from an early dummy, before I had fully designed the characters or fully worked out the story. Max was originally a chameleon, but I decided to make him a Collared Lizard instead. I have reversed the position of Arthur and Max to continue the left to right movement from the title page. I am exploring body stances to find an expressive interaction between the two characters. This isn’t it. Arthur is beginning to look better. Their physical relationship still doesn't feel right. Here the characters are looking good, but I think Max still needs to burst onto the scene somehow. Now Max is off his feet, literally flying into the picture, and the landscape has also come together. The scene, painted, as it appears in the book. The story of Art & Max has begun.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:54 -0400)

Max wants to be an artist like Arthur, but his first attempt at using a paintbrush sends the two friends on a whirlwind trip through various media, with unexpected consequences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,656,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible