Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Barefoot Book: 50 Great Reasons to Kick…

The Barefoot Book: 50 Great Reasons to Kick Off Your Shoes (edition 2010)

by L. Daniel Howell

Collections:Your library, Owned books
Tags:ER, nonfiction, health, healthy lifestyle, @ 617

The Barefoot Book: 50 Great Reasons to Kick Off Your Shoes by L. Daniel Howell

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Based on the title, I was expecting a more whimsical book. I enjoyed it despite its more scientific bent. Having read several books and articles on barefoot running, I already knew a lot of this information but learned a few new things and appreciated the focus on going barefoot in general, not just when running.
  barefeet4 | Jul 15, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a very interesting book. All throughout the text, there are short bits giving reasons to take off your shoes. The rest of the book is text explaining the dangers of shoes, and how relaxing it is to "kick them off." The only problem I had was that it seemed to ignore situations that, no matter what, shoes are necessary, and although he suggests going barefoot in public places, it isn't always safe, and judgement by oneself is necessary. Maybe the author thinks this should already be known, but not putting it in there makes him seem slighlty ignorant.

Although sometimes I felt like I was reading a book written by a health nutjob, it certainly has its foot facts straight. Overall, the book reached it's goal, as it has definitely made me think of taking my shoes off more. It certainly can't hurt, right? ( )
  sublime98 | Nov 16, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ever since I read "Born to Run", I have been intrigued by the barefoot running trend. Why would you want to run, walk, or hike barefoot? Well, this book answers those questions. The author describes the construction of the foot, and how its structures work to best advantage. This leads to a discussion of the way humans walk and run, and how the barefoot gait differs from the shod gait.

He talks about the problems caused by wearing shoes, and how going barefoot eliminates or minimizes those problems. There is a full chapter on the effect that wearing high heels has on women's feet. But there are also chapters on the effects of shoes on the feet of growing children, as well. Besides the standard shoes, he also discusses the "transitional" shoes - the ones that are minimalist for one reason or another, such as flip-flops, Vibram Five-Fingers, Birkenstocks, and moccasins.

He answers his initial question, Why bare your feet? in small summaries on graphical footprints throughout the book. Each quick answer appears next to the paragraphs that discuss that reason in detail. Most of the answers concern improved health, such as "strengthen feet and legs", "reduce stress on your joints" or "because shoes cause corns and calluses". A few address happiness and well-being, such as "to lift your spirits and become closer to creation," or "Because it is fun."

The book is well-focused on the topic of Why, with a few welcome comments on How one starts becoming a barefooter (or nelipot). He lists problems that might happen when starting out (such as toughening up the skin, and new aches to expect as the Achilles tendon starts stretching out). There are also references to resources for further information on how.

Recommended for those who are wondering why they might want to start going barefoot. ( )
1 vote EowynA | Oct 23, 2010 |
  1000booksin5years | Oct 9, 2010 |
I got this book as an early review from Librarything. It called out to me from the list of books because, as much as I like buying and looking at shoes, I don't like wearing them very often. I'm in my ever-present flip flops until the first snow arrives and then back in them once the snow is gone.

This book gives you 50 reasons to go barefoot, a no-brainer for someone like me, but pretty compelling for people who think wearing shoes is the best thing to do for their feet. If you think about it, your feet are not fragile little things that need protecting. They withstand our weight, absorb the shock of our walking and running, help us keep our balance, etc. Wearing shoes immobilizes the feet, not letting them absorb impact or expand the way they need to in order to help us move.

Women's shoes are particularly bad, and it doesn't take a PhD to note that. Just look at those things!! Of which I have many many pairs. Men's shoes are just as bad and running/athletic shoes are pretty bad too. You get an education with this book on how shoes are made and how they purposefully alter how your foot moves (twisted ankles, anyone?).

An interesting note, children's feet stop developing around age 8, so they really shouldn't be in shoes up until then. I've always always wondered by people put shoes on babies and children who can't walk yet. Just for looks, obviously, but let those feet run free! Baby shoes are pretty silly.

Even if you don't like being barefoot, read this book, it may change your mind about ditching your shoes. Even if it's for a little while. ( )
  manadabomb | Oct 3, 2010 |

Our addiction to wearing shoes has been linked to conditions ranging from foot fungus and bacteria to bunions and fallen arches. Ill-fitting and high-heeled shoes cause damage to the knees and spine, and continuous wearing of any kind of shoes builds up these problems. Daniel Howell describes the benefits of a simple alternative: going barefoot. The barefoot lifestyle corrects misalignments and increases foot strength and flexibility, and it is practiced in many other countries. In a reader-friendly, accessible style, this practical book explains the health advantages of going barefoot, provides tips for increasing barefoot time, and encourages everyone to experience the health benefits and the natural, vital pleasure of a barefoot connection with the earth.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:08 -0400)

Hunter House

An edition of this book was published by Hunter House.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Barefoot Book: 50 Great Reasons to Kick Off Your Shoes by howellphddaniell was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible