Master and Man by Leo Tolstoy

Master and Man (1895)

by Leo Tolstoy

Do you know that there are only 5 reviews of this story on goodreads? That is pathetic, this is fantastic, and some of you need to get off your bums and read it! It isn't long...go on, you know you wanna!

This is by far my favorite Tolstoy work! It is a beautiful story of sacrifice and the value of life... regardless of station. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
I'm a huge Tolstoy fan, so I knew I would probably love this book when it was recommended to me and it didn't disappoint in the least. Tolstoy gives us the perspective of multiple characters as they battle against nature (both their internal natures as well as the rugged winter) and struggle to survive. For me, Tolstoy's writing is timeless because even though technology has advanced, human nature is still very much the same. ( )
  Neftzger | Nov 23, 2012 |
I know that Tolstoy was a genius and a talented author. However, this story seemed quite bland to me and I found that it never really "grabbed" me in a way that could be comparable to "War and Peace". ( )
  markusnenadovus | Dec 15, 2007 |

This classic short tale from one of the greatest writers of the 19th century is a parable about the relationship between master and servant, the terrible power of nature, and an encounter with death that saves one man's life and another's soul. Landowner Vassili Andreyich and one of his peasants, Nikita, embark on a trip to a neighboring village on business on the eve of a holiday festival. But bad weather strikes and leaves them stranded in the wilderness... and challenges everything they know about themselves and each other. This classic 1895 story, translated by HENRY BERGEN (b. 1873), will delight and move fans of Tolstoy's, and of all great literature. Russian writer COUNT LEV ("LEO") NIKOLAYEVICH TOLSTOY (1828-1910) is best known for his novels War and Peace (1869) and Anna Karenina (1877).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:04 -0400)

A rich collection of short stories from the Russian master.

3 pay1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,074,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible