The Guermantes Way by Marcel Proust

The Guermantes Way (1920)

by Marcel Proust

Series: In Search of Lost Time (3)

1,861293,715 (4.35)1 / 72

English (22)  Swedish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All (29)
2.5* for the book, 3* for the Neville Jason narration of the audiobook edition

Proust is too long-winded for my tastes hence my lowish rating. When I finish reading/listening a bit, I would paraphrase what had happened during that section & the plot, such as it is, was interesting to me but it was like panning for gold to get to it. Neville Jason did a fine job with the narration - it isn't his fault that the book kept sending me to sleep! ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 15, 2017 |
I think I am now officially halfway through. The narrator is now an adult and not a particularly nice one. He's a dreadful snob and social climber and the book really in the main covers a couple of social events. It is excellent in its portrayal of wit in social settings, and the scene of miscommunication towards the end with M. de Charlus is brilliant. And the narrator has spent a considerable number of pages at the end agonising about whether he's been invited to a party or not, so there's quite a cliffhanger for the next one. I'm still finding these very slow-going and requiring of much concentration, but a worthwhile challenge. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Nov 27, 2016 |
While the parts about the narrator's grandma and the various reactions to the Dreyfus affair are top notch, much of this is a dull retread of elements from the first two volumes. The weenie narrator has now bloomed into a full-blown creeper, but thankfully (albeit boringly) his vague malady mostly relegates him to acting on his obsessions via desultory public lurking. Skewering upper-class salon life is fun, but not fun for hundreds and hundreds of pages. ( )
  xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |
I'm determined to finish this rather epic challenge. 3 volumes into In Search of Lost Time (or Remembrance of Things Past depending on the translation) and I'm still not that excited. I can see that parts are well written but I just feel a little as if the whole thing could be condensed into one volume. Of maybe 50 pages. I'd even go to 500 pages, but I've read over 1000 now and I'm still wondering when I'm going to get 'into' this! The Guermantes Way continues the story of the nameless narrator and his time in Paris where he finally gets invited into the higher circles of society only to be disappointed by the vulgarity of it all and how similar it is to other society events he has been to. As each volume seems to need the narrator to fall desperately in love with someone, so this volume obliges. In this case it's the Duchesse de Guermantes, and so the whole volume centres on his attempts to get close to her. There were some touching parts but there were some where I would happily have skim-read if it weren't for the fact I'd get more disillusioned if I did. I've heard it gets better... ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
After finishing The Guermantes Way, the third volume in Marcel Proust's "In Search of Lost Time," my opinion of the author hasn't changed. He's clearly brilliant and has interesting things to say, but boy, I really wish he would get on with it sometimes.

This third installment brings our narrator to yet another obsession with a woman for no apparent reason.... he becomes more creeptastic with each novel. The more interesting segments of the novel deal with high society and the narrator's disappointment upon finding that the circle he longs to be in is filled with snobs.

Proust's prose is beautiful and challenging... enough that I need a bit of a break before heading onto then next book in the series. ( )
  amerynth | Jul 16, 2015 |

Proust, Marcelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anguissola Beretta, AlbertoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cornips, ThérèseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De Maria, LucianoEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raboni, GiovanniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salinas, PedroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott Moncrieff, C. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The twittering of the birds at daybreak sounded insipid to Françoise.

After the relative intimacy of the first two volumes of In Search of Lost Time, The Guermantes Way opens up a vast, dazzling landscape of fashionable Parisian life in the late nineteenth century, as the narrator enters the brilliant, shallow world of the literary and aristocratic salons. Both a salute to and a devastating satire of a time, place, and culture, The Guermantes Way defines the great tradition of novels that follow the initiation of a young man into the ways of the world. This elegantly packaged new translation will introduce a new generation of American readers to the literary richness of Marcel Proust.

First time in Penguin Classics
A Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition with french flaps and luxurious design
Penguin Classics' superb new edition of In Search of Lost Time is the first completely new translation of Proust's masterwork since the 1920s

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:29 -0400)

Volume three of the author's epic work In search of remembrance in which the author explores the themes of time, space and memory.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,527,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible