The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross

The Apocalypse Codex (edition 2012)

by Charles Stross

Title:The Apocalypse Codex
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Ace (2012), Kindle Edition, 336 sivua

The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross

Recently added byblather, private library, mustelid, lemurtrek, Caomhghin
    The Drums of Chaos by Richard L. Tierney (destaphiton)
    destaphiton: The New Testament meets The Dunwich Horror, with some sword-and-sorcery and pulpy sci-fi thrown in.

English (26)  French (2)  All languages (28)
An American evangelical ministry is bringing Jesus back, but it's not the Jesus they think it is. Bob Howard is assigned the job of sorting it out with supposed outside contractors who are a pair of super-witch-spies. They take off to Denver, about to be swamped by an unnatural snow storm and cut off from the outside world while a huge sacrifice is planned to bring about the Apocalypse. Slick, action-packed sci-fi-spy-horror romp. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
What should be a routine job, as usuall, goes sideways for Robert Howard. The unreformed geek, computational demonologist, is being groomed for upper management in The Laundry. But he has his own reservations. Providing deniable oversight to a freelance witch and mayhem expert team, dealing with a deluded televangelist, and avoiding the American Black Chamber (not so much "cousin" as "psychotic ex-girlfriend") is all part of the job.
  DJ_Cliffe | May 3, 2015 |
I thought that this entry in Stross' wonderful Laundry Files series started out a bit slowly. About a third of the way in, though, it kicked into gear and wound up being an excellent story. ( )
  wanack | Feb 12, 2015 |
Bob Howard continues his mildly inept manhandling of otherworldly horrors, coming up against evangelism running rampant in Colorado and threatening the fair shores of Blighty. Paired up with a couple of contractors engaged by External Assets, Bob spends most of the story in the States - with his wife Mo far out of frame - and new oversight of his activities by a bounder called Lockhart. Angleton remains on the sidelines, as do The Auditors - with plenty of ties-in references to all previous books and occurrences in the series.

Better than Jennifer Morgue, in my opinions, and comparable with The Fuller Memorandum, Codex does, however, feel like a retread of old ground. I also found some nagging sense of repetition in the storytelling that left me wondering whether Stross wrote the book as a serial. I didn't make notes of the bits that bothered me - they seemed to be elements around character description and references to the nature of Bob's mission that used the same terms and references again and again like we might have forgotten what's going on since we left the last chapter behind.

I preferred The Atrocity Archives and The Fuller Memorandum, for sure - although, I did like the continuity references peppered throughout. The sense that Bob has come a long way in the last ten years with all these references gives the loyal reader a sense of knowing involvement. We have made that journey with him and join Bob in his fight against the imminent CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN.

I'd cautiously welcome another volume, though I'd ask Stross to pause a moment and gather his original thoughts before setting about it. ( )
  PaulBaldowski | Jan 24, 2015 |
Great fun Modesty Blaise rotated through some dimensions and lovingly reconfigured as a Laundery "contractor". ( )
  listog | Oct 7, 2014 |

Charles Strossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fredrickson, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence

Dr. Laurence J Peter, The Peter Principle
For Teresa Nielsen Hayden
Things are getting better: It's been ten months, and I only wake up screaming about once a week now.

"For outstanding heroism in the field (despite himself), computational demonologist Bob Howard is on the fast track for promotion to management within the Laundry, the supersecret British government agency tasked with defending the realm from occult threats. Assigned to External Assets, Bob discovers the company--unofficially--employs freelance agents to deal with sensitive situations that may embarrass Queen and Country. So when Ray Schiller--an American televangelist with the uncanny ability to miraculously heal the ill--becomes uncomfortably close to the Prime Minister, External Assets dispatches the brilliant, beautiful, and entirely unpredictable Persephone Hazard to infiltrate the Golden Promise Ministry and discover why the preacher is so interested in British politics. And it's Bob's job to make sure Persephone doesn't cause an international incident. But it's a supernatural incident that Bob needs to worry about--a global threat even the Laundry may be unable to clean up.."--… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible