The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross

The Apocalypse Codex (edition 2012)

by Charles Stross

Member:kotikirjasto
Title:The Apocalypse Codex
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Ace (2012), Kindle Edition, 336 sivua
Rating:**

The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross

Recently added byzlmc, private library, KLBrooks, PaulBaldowski, david_c, yon.birkie, Barry.Philip.Cook
    The Drums of Chaos by Richard L. Tierney (destaphiton)
    destaphiton: The New Testament meets The Dunwich Horror, with some sword-and-sorcery and pulpy sci-fi thrown in.

English (24)  French (2)  All languages (26)
Bob Howard continues his mildly inept manhandling of otherworldly horrors, coming up against evangelism running rampant in Colorado and threatening the fair shores of Blighty. Paired up with a couple of contractors engaged by External Assets, Bob spends most of the story in the States - with his wife Mo far out of frame - and new oversight of his activities by a bounder called Lockhart. Angleton remains on the sidelines, as do The Auditors - with plenty of ties-in references to all previous books and occurrences in the series.

Better than Jennifer Morgue, in my opinions, and comparable with The Fuller Memorandum, Codex does, however, feel like a retread of old ground. I also found some nagging sense of repetition in the storytelling that left me wondering whether Stross wrote the book as a serial. I didn't make notes of the bits that bothered me - they seemed to be elements around character description and references to the nature of Bob's mission that used the same terms and references again and again like we might have forgotten what's going on since we left the last chapter behind.

I preferred The Atrocity Archives and The Fuller Memorandum, for sure - although, I did like the continuity references peppered throughout. The sense that Bob has come a long way in the last ten years with all these references gives the loyal reader a sense of knowing involvement. We have made that journey with him and join Bob in his fight against the imminent CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN.

I'd cautiously welcome another volume, though I'd ask Stross to pause a moment and gather his original thoughts before setting about it. ( )
  PaulBaldowski | Jan 24, 2015 |
Great fun Modesty Blaise rotated through some dimensions and lovingly reconfigured as a Laundery "contractor". ( )
  listog | Oct 7, 2014 |
This one has Bob back in America trying to find out why a US preacher wants in tight with the UK government. I'm not sure if I'm want to keep reading the series since all the characters are convinced that the Old Ones will come and destroy life as we know it. This book kept banging you over the head with that fact even with Bob and his cohorts trying to stop the preacher from bringing back his version of Jesus. Overall it was a good story, I just don't want to think that everything they do is just make work before the end times. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Enjoyable although the series may be getting a bit long in the tooth. I also read this one with something akin to double vision since two of the main characters were essentially renamed comic strip characters Modesty Blaise and Willie Garvin.
  MikeRhode | Feb 6, 2014 |
Another good title in the Laundry series. Bob is getting older and (sometimes) wiser. New characters, more Black Chamber but maybe some more Angleton would have been good. Well thought out plot line. ( )
  libgirl69 | Nov 13, 2013 |

Charles Strossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fredrickson, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence

Dr. Laurence J Peter, The Peter Principle
For Teresa Nielsen Hayden
Things are getting better: It's been ten months, and I only wake up screaming about once a week now.

"For outstanding heroism in the field (despite himself), computational demonologist Bob Howard is on the fast track for promotion to management within the Laundry, the supersecret British government agency tasked with defending the realm from occult threats. Assigned to External Assets, Bob discovers the company--unofficially--employs freelance agents to deal with sensitive situations that may embarrass Queen and Country. So when Ray Schiller--an American televangelist with the uncanny ability to miraculously heal the ill--becomes uncomfortably close to the Prime Minister, External Assets dispatches the brilliant, beautiful, and entirely unpredictable Persephone Hazard to infiltrate the Golden Promise Ministry and discover why the preacher is so interested in British politics. And it's Bob's job to make sure Persephone doesn't cause an international incident. But it's a supernatural incident that Bob needs to worry about--a global threat even the Laundry may be unable to clean up.."--… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,159,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible