Revolutionary Road. by Richard. Yates

Revolutionary Road. (original 1961; edition 2006)

by Richard. Yates

Member:skro
Title:Revolutionary Road.
Authors:Richard. Yates
Info:Vintage Books (2006), Taschenbuch
Collections:Your library, Tatsächlich Gelesen
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012 - Erworben, 2012 - Gelesen

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates (1961)

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (thesearch, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Einen Autor, den Richard Yates, "glühend liebte" und "bei dessen 'Gatsby' er am Ende meistens in Tränen ausbrach".
    Rabbit, Run by John Updike (readerbabe1984)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (cafepithecus)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    A Tragic Honesty: The Life and Work of Richard Yates by Blake Bailey (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Laut Eva Menasse eine "bewunderswert detaillierte" Biographie zum tragischen Leben von Richard Yates. Zitat: "[...] gnadenlosen Handel: privates Glück gegen künstlerisches Talent, körperliche und geistige Gesundheit gegen Ruhm."
    The Wife by Meg Wolitzer (jhedlund)
    Jernigan by David Gates (arztriper)
    Room at the Top by John Braine (Booksloth)
    Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Night Games: And Other Stories and Novellas by Arthur Schnitzler (Jesse_wiedinmyer)
    Rich Man, Poor Man by Irwin Shaw (Monika_L)
    The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler (Monika_L)

Heart-breaking, atmospheric, full of truth and rawness. Enjoyed the film when it first came out and had been meaning to read for some time. Read very quickly over a day of travel which intensified the experience. ( )
  aine.fin | May 3, 2016 |
This one is a high three--there were parts that I did really like but parts that I felt dragged a bit. Here were two people that I just wanted to slap--a visceral reaction like that is a good thing in this case. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Beautifully written and highly depressive. This characters are so alive that their story get into you. I confess I watched the film before reading the book, but it was not something that spoiled my experience in enjoying the book, if not, it only made me love it more for both are so similar in the way it gets under your skin. This book is about human lives facing falling dreams and hopes, in Frank's words "the hopeless emptiness", and the hard part, facing the reality of oneself. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
What can I say, I enjoyed the book from the opening chapter to its conclusion. It's a trip back 1950's America when things were perfect. Or at least when the country was still ignorant of little things that would change the entire nation. Things such as Civil Rights and Vietnam. When the middle class was upwardly mobile and expanding. When women received a higher education so as to become a better housewife and mother. You guys understand that I'm being facetious, yes?

Parts of the book, like some of the conversations between characters, seemed a bit drawn out and overly complex. But, I found them to be acceptable and usually not much longer than necessary to conveyed the deeper meaning of the section. I mean, Yates isn't like Hemingway who could turn a paragraph into two pages. Or Stephen King that must be paid by the sentence.

This novel was made into a movie in 2008 that starred Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet as Frank and April Wheeler, the main protagonists. I don't remember seeing the movie, although my wife insists that we did. While reading the book, I couldn't help but see and hear DiCaprio and Winslet speaking the lines in my mind. They are Frank and April. ( )
  baggman | Feb 11, 2016 |
Writing in controlled, economical prose, Mr. Yates delineates the shape of these disintegrating lives without lapsing into sentimentality or melodrama. His ear for dialogue enables him to infuse the banal chitchat of suburbia with a subtext of Pinteresque proportions, and he proves equally skilled at reproducing the pretentious, status-conscious talk of people brought up on Freud and Marx.

Richard Yatesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Emeis, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ford, RichardForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alas! When passion is both meek and wild! -John Keats
To Sheila
The final dying sounds of their dress rehearsal left the Laurel Players with nothing to do but stand there, silent and helpless, blinking out over the footlights of the empty auditorium.
Ko so potihnili zadnji pojemajoči glasovi generalke, člani igralske skupine Laurel niso vedeli, kaj bi – kar stali so, tihi in nemočni, in mežikali čez odrske luči v prazno dvorano.
Nobody thinks or feels or cares any more; nobody gets excited or believes in anything except their own comfortable little God damn mediocrity.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375708448, Paperback)

The rediscovery and rejuvenation of Richard Yates's 1961 novel Revolutionary Road is due in large part to its continuing emotional and moral resonance for an early 21st-century readership. April and Frank Wheeler are a young, ostensibly thriving couple living with their two children in a prosperous Connecticut suburb in the mid-1950s. However, like the characters in John Updike's similarly themed Couples, the self-assured exterior masks a creeping frustration at their inability to feel fulfilled in their relationships or careers. Frank is mired in a well-paying but boring office job and April is a housewife still mourning the demise of her hoped-for acting career. Determined to identify themselves as superior to the mediocre sprawl of suburbanites who surround them, they decide to move to France where they will be better able to develop their true artistic sensibilities, free of the consumerist demands of capitalist America. As their relationship deteriorates into an endless cycle of squabbling, jealousy and recriminations, their trip and their dreams of self-fulfillment are thrown into jeopardy.

Yates's incisive, moving, and often very funny prose weaves a tale that is at once a fascinating period piece and a prescient anticipation of the way we live now. Many of the cultural motifs seem quaintly dated--the early-evening cocktails, Frank's illicit lunch breaks with his secretary, the way Frank isn't averse to knocking April around when she speaks out of turn--and yet the quiet desperation at thwarted dreams reverberates as much now as it did years ago. Like F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, this novel conveys, with brilliant erudition, the exacting cost of chasing the American dream. --Jane Morris, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:33 -0400)

The devastating effects of work, adultery, rebellion, and self-deception slowly destroy the once successful marriage of Frank and April Wheeler, a suburban American couple.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,853,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible