Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Yanks : The Epic Story of the American Army in World War I

by John Eisenhower

Pulling readers down into the trenches with his intimate battlefield knowledge, John S.D Eisenhower, a retired brigadier general, delivers the complete story of the United States' role in World War I, from the fortunate selection of John 'Black Jack' Pershing as commanding general, to the astonishingly rapid buildup of troops, to America's decisive intervention. While the bulk of recent Great War accounts approach the conflict from British and French perspectives, YANKS focuses entirely on the often misrepresented story of the American Expeditionary Force which, in an incredible span of just 18 months, grew from an under-equipped band of 120,000 troops into a dominant force of four million. Eisenhower has mined little-known diaries and memoirs to illuminate an extrordinary cast of war heroes, both famous and unsung. With chapters focusing on legends like Pershing, George Patton, Douglas MacArthur, and Sergeant Alvin York, as well as the brave Privates (nicknamed doughboys) who fought on the front lines, this riveting work captures the birth of the modern Army, reasserting the true contributions of America in World War I.… (more)

3618. Yanks The Epic Story of the American Army in World War I, by John S. D. Eisenhower with Joanne Thompson Eisenhower (read Aug 19, 2002) This is the first book by John Eisenhower I've read, though I have often thought about reading other books by him especially The Bitter Wood, his account of the Battle of the Bulge. But I won't, now. This book was a disappointment. A far better book on the same subject is The Defeat of Imperial Germany 1917-1918, by Rod Paschall, which I finished on (appropriately: the 74th anniversary of our entering the 1st World War) April 6, 1991. Eisenhower's book might be great for people who had a relative in a particular unit in World War I, or maybe for wargamers, but one not overly interested in the technical aspects of war won't enjoy it much, I don't think. A tiny footnote: he says the US was at war with Austria-Hungary as of Apr 6, 1917, but I find that war was not declared on that country by the US until Dec 7, 1917. I wonder why we declared war on it then. [I have since heard it was to encourage the Italians, who were reeling from the defeat suffered in October, 1917.] Anybody have access to the Congressional Record for that date who can tell me? ( )
  Schmerguls | Nov 17, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,688,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible