Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman

Misquoting Jesus

by Bart D. Ehrman

Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists by Dan Barker (Nickelini)
    Who Wrote the Gospels? by Randel McCraw Helms (ehines)
    ehines: Helms deals with the origins of the gospels; Ehrman with the transmission of them. Helms's book is better written and he's got an easier story to tell (the story of finding one origin vs describing a seemingly infinite number of textual variations).
    Gesù. L'invenzione del Dio cristiano by Paolo Flores d'Arcais (Panairjdde)
    Panairjdde: Il libro di Flores d'Arcais tratta dell'immagine di Gesù e del Cristianesimo delle origini come sorge dall'interpretazione dei testi neotestamentari, ricostruiti così come descritto da Ehrman.

English (83)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (86)
The Bible is the inerrant word of God. It contains no mistakes. Really?

“How does it help us to say that the Bible is the inerrant word of God if in fact we don’t have the words that God inerrantly inspired, but only the words copied by the scribes—sometimes correctly but sometimes (many times!) incorrectly? What good is it to say that the autographs (i.e., the originals) were inspired? We don’t have the originals! We have only error-ridden copies, and the vast majority of these are centuries removed from the originals and different from them, evidently, in thousands of ways.
[...]
I came to realize that it would have been no more difficult for God to preserve the words of scripture than it would have been for him to inspire them in the first place. If he wanted his people to have his words, surely he would have given them to them (and possibly even given them the words in a language they could understand, rather than Greek and Hebrew). The fact that we don’t have the words surely must show, I reasoned, that he did not preserve them for us. And if he didn’t perform that miracle, there seemed to be no reason to think that he performed the earlier miracle of inspiring those words.” ( )
  mantvius | Aug 29, 2016 |
Just Brilliant! Readable and real.
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Bart
  StPaulsChurch | Jul 19, 2016 |
This book contains nothing new to biblical scholars. What it does is present, in layman's terms, with copious examples, of the errors, contradictions and interpretations of the various existing copies of New Testament manuscripts. Most laypersons are not aware that we have no originals of anything from the NT - not a single gospel or letter of Paul. All are copies of copies of copies of copies and as such they are understandably filled with errors and edited omissions and additions by scribes over the centuries.

There have been a few attempts to discredit Ehrman's work, but the facts and references speak for themselves. Evangelicals could have a very difficult time with the information here because it discredits much of what they have come to believe and what has been manufactured by such churches over the past century.

It is enlightening for that reason alone. ( )
  mldavis2 | Jan 31, 2016 |
An insightful look into how manuscripts of New Testament books were copied, transcribed, altered through time. Some changes can be seen as simple mistakes in the process, some may have been deliberately altered (not necessarily with any nefarious intent), other things may have been added to clarify a growing understanding of the theology, but were responding to questions of the time. Though this has been seen as a "debunking" of the Bible, it only makes the whole process of understanding the text more fascinating to me. And I started seeing interesting parallels between pre-Gutenberg transmission of information and the way misinformation can be disseminated and duplicated on the Internet...and imagine trying to trace it back to its original source :-) ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
To Bruce M. Metzger
To discuss the copies of the New Testament that we have, we need to start at the very beginning with one of the unusual features of Christianity in the Greco-Roman world: its bookish character.
Introduction
More than almost anything I've ever written about, the subject of this book has been on my mind for the past thirty years, since I was in my late teens and just beginning my study of the New Testament.
More than anyone else from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, it is to two Cambridge scholars, Brooke Foss Westcott (1825-1901) and Fenton John Anthony Hort (1828-1892), that modern textual critics owe a debt of gratitude for developing methods of analysis that help us deal with the manuscript tradition of the New Testament.

For almost 1,500 years, the New Testament manuscripts were copied by hand––and mistakes and intentional changes abound in the competing manuscript versions. Religious and biblical scholar Bart Ehrman makes the provocative case that many of our widely held beliefs concerning the divinity of Jesus, the Trinity, and the divine origins of the Bible itself are the results of both intentional and accidental alterations by scribes.

In this compelling and fascinating book, Ehrman shows where and why changes were made in our earliest surviving manuscripts, explaining for the first time how the many variations of our cherished biblical stories came to be, and why only certain versions of the stories qualify for publication in the Bibles we read today. Ehrman frames his account with personal reflections on how his study of the Greek manuscripts made him abandon his once ultra–conservative views of the Bible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

When Biblical scholar Ehrman first began to study the texts of the Bible in their original languages, he was startled to discover the multitude of mistakes and intentional alterations that had been made by earlier translators. For almost 1500 years these manuscripts were hand copied by scribes who were influenced by the cultural, theological and political disputes of their day. Both mistakes and intentional changes abound in the surviving manuscripts, making the original words difficult to reconstruct. Ehrman reveals where and why these changes were made and how scholars go about reconstructing the original words of the New Testament as closely as possible. He makes the provocative case that many of our cherished biblical stories and beliefs stem from both intentional and accidental alterations by scribes--alterations that dramatically affected subsequent versions.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,270,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible