Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Between Shades of Gray (edition 2012)

by Ruta Sepetys

Title:Between Shades of Gray
Authors:Ruta Sepetys
Info:Speak (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:P12, historical, world war 2, soviet, Lithuania, Siberia, NKVD, suspenseful, winter, adventure

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Recently added bycteclibrary, private library, Jill41, lmlibrary, maria_eads, AbigailL.b1, bebonee, marypca, Alexaks
    The Endless Steppe: Growing Up in Siberia by Esther Hautzig (keristars)
    keristars: "The Endless Steppe" is also a children's book about the exile of Russian Jews to Siberia during WW2.
    Playing for the Commandant by Suzy Zail (joyfulgirl)
    The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great stories of hope and survival in the face of brutality and genocide
    Night by Elie Wiesel (ashleeeyyy88)
    All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (ashleeeyyy88)
    The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer (Milda-TX)
    The Day Lasts More than a Hundred Years by Chingiz Aitmatov (Othemts)
    Stalemate by Icchokas Meras (Othemts)
    Torn Thread by Anne Isaacs (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these deeply moving novels based on grim historical facts, teenage girls exiled from their homes do backbreaking work in labor camps, one in Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia and the other in Siberia, while fighting hunger, illness, and despair… (more)
    Kolyma Tales by Varlam Shalamov (dreamydress48)
    dreamydress48: Siberian work camps theme.
    Man Is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag by Janusz Bardach (fountainoverflows)
    fountainoverflows: A well-written and extraordinary memoir of a man's survival of the gulag. His story also starts in Lithuania during WW2.
    Leave Your Tears in Moscow by Barbara Armonas (fountainoverflows)
    fountainoverflows: A book which Sepetys alludes to in her author's note and from which she drew some of the incidents that appear in Between Shades of Gray. An important historical document.
    The Road of Bones by Anne Fine (celerydog)
    celerydog: challenging WW2 YA read
    Between the Stillness and the Grove by Erika De Vasconcelos (VivienneR)
    Forgotten Fire by Adam Bagdasarian (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two historical fiction novels for teens introduce readers to little-known atrocities of war. Although grim in nature, both books are compelling and eye-opening looks into the horrors that have happened to people because of their nationalities or ethnic backgrounds.… (more)

English (243)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  English (Middle) (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (251)
I recommend this book to people who like history. I think that this will be liked by the people who enjoy reading history because, it is about history and the Soviet Union when Hitler was in Germany . I have read the book and I am a big history nerd so I ate it up, I also loved it because I am big fan when it comes to learning stuff about Hitler and the Soviet. I recommend this book because the action never stops, something is constantly happening. Between Shades of Gray is full of action, adventure, and tons of different kinds of emotions. The reader of this book with never get bored, once you start reading you don't want to put it down. I am not a big reader but this book was one of my favorite, Sepetys, Ruta is a great writer and I cannot wait to find and read another one of her books.

Lina was taken in her night gown, they had twenty minutes to pack there stuff and leave. The Soviet Union was taking Lina, Jonas(her brother), and her mom. Many thing were going through her mind including where was her dad. The Soviets took her and her family to a train, they rode the train for about two months stopping every so once in a while to get food and water. On the train she had fallen in love with and boy named Andrius. They got to a camp and worked day after day for only three grams of bread. Lina shared a small cabin with some random stranger, her brother and mother, it was thin and constantly cold. Andrius and Lina soon got split up when Lina and her family was taken to a different camp. Lina's mother and her father died, earlier she had found out that her father was in another camp. Her and Jonas stayed alive on hope and love. ( )
  AbigailL.b1 | Oct 13, 2016 |
Between Shades of Gray grips your heart at page one and slowly begins to dig it's nails in with each page you turn. It's an emotional book about survival and how having hope can make a world of difference.

Lina and her family are deported and we get to experience the journey through paragraphs of words. Each sentence holds a certain punch and each tiny mark of punctuation pulls out a new emotion. It's not always pretty, but it's a story that's felt deep within the soul. I couldn't believe all that Lina went through. The way she was treated made me sick. To think that there are people out there that experienced the life in which these characters lived makes my heart hurt. It was an awful way of life and so many were lost during this historical time. Children, adults, women, and men... Some even lost their selves. They were broken down, stripped of all rights, and left with little dignity. It truly makes you appreciate the life you live and all of the privileges that you take for granted each day.

I can't say enough good things about this book. The writing was flawless and the story is one that is all consuming. I loved the way everything played out and I especially loved the quaint hints of romance. It wasn't an in your face love, but more of an I will do everything to protect you kind of love. It is definitely going on my all time favorites list. I recommend it to anyone that loves stories with an utter rawness that leaves you breathless at times.

ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
I picked up this book thinking it was about to Holocaust. As I read it of course I realized I was wrong but, I fell so deeply into this book it was astonishing. I recommend this book to every fellow reader I meet. It was truly amazing. I could not put it down. I finished it in one day. ( )
  Hve6610 | Oct 2, 2016 |
A moving and well told story of Lina, a young Lithuanian girl, who loves drawing and who is taken from her home with her family in 1941. The novel tells the story of the hardship and cruelty of the life in a Russian work camp for Lina, her brother and her mother. Well researched and interesting. ( )
  Tifi | Aug 15, 2016 |
Back in March of this year I read Salt to the Sea. I was so impressed with Sepetys writing, I knew I had to read this sister-book, Between Shades of Gray. While I knew that it was well researched and it was a very moving account of what some Lithuanians endured during the war, it didn't resonate with me as Salt did. In Salt the passages were written from multiple points of view. The reader was inside everyone's head. Here, we only have the situation in Lina's context. Also, I really did not care for the flashback techniques that were employed. I found them very jarring and did not enjoy the perspective I think they were meant to provide. This by no means put me off Sepetys, she is so very gifted and I look forward to reading more by her. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Aug 1, 2016 |
Hope Morrison (The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books, May 2011 (Vol. 64, No. 9))
This harrowing novel recalls the systematic deportation of thousands of Lithuanians following the Soviet invasion of their country in 1939. Fifteen-year-old Lina, along with her mother and younger brother, is taken during the night and shipped off on a freight car for a six-week journey to a labor camp in Siberia. After spending nearly a year there, her family is again deported, this time to a frigid outpost in the northernmost region of Siberia, where survival seems unlikely. Conditions in the camps are horrendous, with inmates forced to perform hard labor in exchange for bread rations and denied the basic necessities of warmth, shelter, and sanitation. Abuse at the hands of the NKVD (Soviet police) is abundant, and horrific acts of violence punctuate the narrative. A talented artist, Lina draws for an outlet—; more importantly, she creates pictures full of coded information that she hopes will somehow get to her father, who is suspected to be in a Soviet prison. Lina’s voice offers a careful balance of emotional engagement and factual summary, providing a compelling account of this seldom-told chapter of history. The novel provides a testament to the power of community, as the deportees keep one another strong through the most traumatic events and hold on to their will to survive in the direst of survival situations. Readers will want to know more at the end, since an epilogue suggests that Lina survived and returned to Lithuania but leaves many questions unanswered; ultimately, however, this is a powerful story that deserves extensive reading and discussion. An author’s note, encouraging readers to learn more about the events in the book, is included. Review Code: R -- Recommended. (c) Copyright 2006, The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. 2011, Philomel, 344p., $17.99. Grades 8-12.

added by kthomp25 | editBulletin of the Center for Children’s Books,, Hope Morrison
Judy Brink-Drescher (VOYA, April 2011 (Vol. 34, No. 1))
Up until the night the Russian military pounded on her door, fifteen-year-old Lina lived a nearly idyllic life. She had recently been accepted to a prestigious art school and was told she had a very promising future. Now, men speaking a strange language are telling her mother that the family is being deported from their Lithuanian homeland. Without knowing the precise whereabouts of their father, Lina, her mother, and brother soon find themselves packed into a cattle car with many other frightened countrymen. With the help of sixteen-year-old Andrius, Lina discovers her father is on the same train but bound for a different destination. She decides to document all she can in images so he can find them later. Unbeknownst to anyone, many would not survive this trip, and those that did would end up in Siberian labor camps. It was also under these circumstances that Lina and Andrius discover the true meaning of family, love, and loss. In the shadow of the Holocaust, many might be unfamiliar with Stalin’s orchestrated genocide of the Baltic States. The first deportations began in 1941; many were unable to return to their homeland until the mid-1950s. Sepetys’s father and many of her relatives were among those who either managed to escape into refugee camps or were deported or imprisoned. In her debut novel, Sepetys offers both a compelling love story and a well-researched historical chronicle. The themes throughout this novel are mature, and therefore the book is recommended for high school and above. VOYA CODES: 4Q 3P S (Better than most, marred only by occasional lapses; Will appeal with pushing; Senior High, defined as grades 10 to 12). 2011, Philomel, 352p., $17.99. Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Judy Brink-Drescher
In memory of Jonas Sepetys
They took me in my nightgown.

Lina is just like any other fifteen-year-old Lithuanian girl in 1941. She paints, she draws, she gets crushes on boys. Until one night when Soviet officers barge into her home, tearing her family from the comfortable life they've known. Separated from her father, forced onto a crowded and dirty train car, Lina, her mother, and her young brother slowly make their way north, crossing the Arctic Circle, to a work camp in the coldest reaches of Siberia. Here they are forced, under Stalin's orders, to dig for beets and fight for their lives under the cruelest of conditions.

Lina finds solace in her art, meticulously and at great risk documenting events by drawing, hoping these messages will make their way to her father's prison camp to let him know they are still alive. It is a long and harrowing journey, spanning years and covering 6,500 miles, but it is through incredible strength, love, and hope that Lina ultimately survives. Between Shades of Gray is a novel that will steal your breath and capture your heart.

In 1941, fifteen-year-old Lina, her mother, and brother are pulled from their Lithuanian home by Soviet guards and sent to Siberia, where her father is sentenced to death in a prison camp while she fights for her life, vowing to honor her family and the thousands like hers by burying her story in a jar on Lithuanian soil. Based on the author's family, includes a historical note.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,686,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible