The Honourable Schoolboy by John Le Carre

The Honourable Schoolboy (original 1977; edition 2011)

by John Le Carre

Member:suzebutch
Title:The Honourable Schoolboy
Authors:John Le Carre
Info:Penguin Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 606 pages
Tags:fiction, multi-country, laos, vientiane, espionage

The Honourable Schoolboy by John le Carré (1977)

English (36)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
I'll say my least favorite Le Carre so far (number 5 I believe), but still good. Great talent for description and setting... great at not over-doing written accents... there are points it dragged a bit I thought... It could have been 500 instead of 600 pages and we all would have been fine I think... Still, I just read The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, so I'm a little spoiled... think it will be a bit before I finish the trilogy and read Smiley's People. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 21, 2016 |
Pretty good read. Not as good as Soldier-Sailor, the quintessential Le Carre. The plot was more Hollywood than is usual with this author. ( )
  clarkland | Aug 13, 2015 |
At first I hated it, then loved it, then by the time I was done I was somewhat disgusted with it again.

For starters, whereas Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy treats you like a grown-up, The Honourable Schoolboy (THS) starts off sounding very much like a Nancy Drew sequel -- patiently laying out plain explanations for every term of likeable Circus jargon (and making it seem rather flat and lifeless in the process), as well as offering facile re-introductions for all the characters.

Things really get underway in the middle, but the plot has a much lower "thread count" than does Tinker Tailor, and there really aren't many surprises in it. The narrative is good but whenever it gets close to Smiley and the Circus, it suddenly gets much more hurried and caricatured. I later read that Le Carre was afterwards in doubt about whether he should have included Smiley at all since he felt people were getting needlessly distracted from the "real story" around Jerry Westerby -- which explains his seeming impatience and lack of attention when writing those scenes.

The summary of this book would give you to understand that this is the book where Smiley "gets revenge" on Karla. In fact, Karla barely figures at all except as a name, and Smiley ends the book having achieved precisely nothing. After all is said and done, all the good people are out on their ear again and the world moves on indifferently. The people who "won" succeed by stealing successes worked for by others, and the only other lingering feeling about the success of the main operation was how tragic it truly was for its targets, and for the main character, Jerry. This pretty much destroys the book's enjoyability for me; it ultimately doesn't develop the story or the characters of the previous book: it spins their wheels before leaving them in the ditch.

The scenes set in the Orient and in the warfare in Cambodia were interesting and vivid. I can bring myself to enjoy this book if I'm looking for a sequel to Joseph Conrad's dank and unquiet "Heart of Darkness", but not if I'm looking for more of what I loved in Tinker, Tailor. ( )
  joeld | Aug 7, 2015 |
another brilliant read by John le Carre ( )
  allysonrabbott | Jul 24, 2015 |
I am very fond of The Honourable Schoolboy, and I admire Le Carré's literary ambitions. It's a great middle book in the Quest for Karla story. But for some reason (perhaps those literary ambitions?) it's a slow-moving (and long!) book that requires some work to get through. It's rewarding and worth it, but it's work. ( )
  JoePhelan | Dec 14, 2014 |
A retired missionary and his daughter, a Hong Kong policeman, an Italian orphan, an English schoolmaster, an American narcotics agent, a slovenly Kremlinologist, a mad bodyguard, the quite splendid Craw -- all are burned on the brain of the reader. If they are not marooned in loneliness, their cynicism corrodes or they go blank when there are no explanations, only helicopters. Loneliness, in fact, rather than betrayal, is the leitmotif. It is the leper's bell around their necks. They have only themselves to be true to, and they are no longer sure who they are. Not a page of this book is without intelligence and grace. Not a page fails to suggest that we carry around with us our own built-in heart of darkness.
added by John_Vaughan | editNY Times, John Leonard (Jul 20, 1977)

le Carré, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laing, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nousiainen, JussiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soellner, HeddaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soellner, RolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I and the public know
What all schoolchildren learn,
Those to whom evil is done
Do evil in return.
-W.H. Auden
For Jane, who bore the brunt, put with my presence and absence alike, and made it all possible.
Afterwards, in the dusty little corners where London's secret servants drink together, there was argument about where the Dolphin case history should really begin.

Part 1 WINDING THE CLOCK

19. Golden Thread

20. Liese’s Lover

21. Nelson

22. Born Again

John le Carre's classic novels deftly navigate readers through the intricate shadow worlds of international espionage with unsurpassed skill and knowledge and have earned him -- and his hero, British Secret Service agent George Smiley -- unprecedented worldwide acclaim.

In this classic masterwork, le Carre expands upon his extraordinary vision of a secret world as George Smiley goes on the attack.

In the wake of a demoralizing infiltration by a Soviet double agent, Smiley has been made ringmaster of the Circus (aka the British Secret Service). Determined to restore the organization's health and reputation, and bent on revenge, Smiley thrusts his own handpicked operative into action. Jerry Westerby, "The Honourable Schoolboy," is dispatched to the Far East. A burial ground of French, British, and American colonial cultures, the region is a fabled testing ground of patriotic allegiances?and a new showdown is about to begin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

In an attempt to recover from the devastating effects of having uncovered a double agent in a high position in its organization, the British Secret Service carries out an elaborate espionage scheme in the Far East.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,478,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible