Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Siddhartha (1922)

by Hermann Hesse

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (Smiler69)
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (chwiggy)
    The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar thematically.
    Phantastes by George MacDonald (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar themes of a young man looking for spiritual meaning.
    Buddha, Volume 1: Kapilavastu by Osamu Tezuka (JqnOC)
    Ramayana by C. Rajagopalachari (Jona25)
    Remember, be here now by Ram Dass (JFDR)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (chwiggy)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (chwiggy)
    Buddha by Karen Armstrong (Nickelini)
    Mahābhārata (R. K. Narayan ed.) by Vyasa (Jona25)
    Creation by Gore Vidal (mcenroeucsb)
    The Black Girl in Search of God (becca58203)
    The Holy Bible Revised Standard Version by Thomas Nelson & Sons (charlie68)
    charlie68: Connects with a lot of the same themes in Ecclesiastes and the Gospels.
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (JFDR)
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books share a similar quest for self-knowledge with the ultimate realization that what one is looking for was with you all the time. After all, there's no place like Om

English (234)  Spanish (9)  French (6)  Italian (6)  Swedish (4)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  All (267)
I read this in a few hours on a flight home. Teared up a few times. Still rolling it around in my head. ( )
  Wattsian | Jul 8, 2018 |
This is the story of the quest of Siddhartha, a wealthy Indian Brahmin who casts off a life of privilege and comfort to seek spiritual fulfillment and wisdom. On his journey, Siddhartha encounters wandering ascetics, Buddhist monks, and successful merchants, as well as a courtesan named Kamala and a simple ferryman who has attained enlightenment. Traveling among these people and experiencing life’s vital passages–love, work, friendship, and fatherhood–Siddhartha discovers that true knowledge is guided from within.
  Lake_O_UCC | Jul 8, 2018 |
Such a beautiful book.

I first read this book in seventh grade, and although I enjoyed it I can't claim I really understood it. It was a gorgeous read then, and is a gorgeous one now. The story is a beautiful myth, an exploration of Buddhism and Hinduism that was written before either one was thoroughly understood by the West.

The introduction and the analysis offered at the beginning of the book both enhance the reading of the actual story, and reading [a:Joseph Campbell|20105|Joseph Campbell|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1429114498p2/20105.jpg] I can even further understand the text itself. I think this is the sort of book that the more one reads it, the later in life one reads it, the more thoroughly it can be understood and appreciated.

I can't recommend this book enough, but I do know why everyone might not enjoy it. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Such a beautiful book.

Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I think this is the kind of book I will have to reread more than once before I fully understand everything. It's quite a beautiful book, sometimes difficult to follow, but overall a fulfilling read. ( )
  carmacreator | Jun 13, 2018 |
[It] attempts to postulate an answer to the riddle of man's confused and contradictory existence in this universe.

Hesse, HermannAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mila, MassimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neugroschel, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosner, HildaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(German)

Lieber, verehrter Romain Rolland!

Seit dem Herbst des Jahres 1914, da die seit kurzem angebrochene Atemnot der Geistigkeit auch mir plötzlich spürbar wurde, und wir einander von fremden Ufern her die Hand gaben, im Glauben an dieselben übernationalen Notwendigkeiten, seither habe ich den Wunsch gehabt, Ihnen einmal ein Zeichen meiner Liebe und zugleich eine Probe meines Tuns und einen Blick in meine Gedankenwelt zu geben. Nehmen Sie die Widmung des ersten Teiles meiner noch unvollendeten indischen Dichtung freundlichst entgegen von Ihrem

Hermann Hesse
In the shade of the house, in the sunshine of the riverbank near the boats, in the shade of the Sal-wood forest, in the shade of the fig tree is where Siddhartha grew up, the handsome son of the Brahman, the young falcon, together with his friend Govinda, son of a Brahman.
(Spanish)
En la penumbra y bajo el Sol, al margen del río y cerca a las barcas; a la sombra del bosque de Sauces, creció Siddhartha, el bello hijo del brahmán, el joven halcón, compañero de Govinda, amigo suyo y también hijo de un brahmán.
(German)

Im Schatten des Hauses, in der Sonne des Flußufers bei den Booten, im Schatten des Salwaldes, im Schatten des Feigenbaumes wuchs Sidartha auf, der schöne Sohn des Brahmanen, der junge Falke, zusammen mit Govinda, seinem Freunde, dem Brahmanensohn.
Dal verbo suchen (cercare) i Tedeschi fanno il participio presente, suchend, e lo usano sostantivato, der Suchende (colui che cerca), per designare quegli uomini che non s'accontentano della superficie delle cose, ma d'ogni aspetto della vita vogliono ragionando andare in fondo, e rendersi conto di sé stessi, del mondo, dei rapporti che tra loro e il mondo intercorrono. Questo cercare che è già di per sé un trovare, come disse uno dei più illustri fra questi «cercatori», e precisamente Sant'aAgostino; quel cercare che è in sostanza vivere nello spirito.
NOTA INTRODUTTIVA
Nell'ombra della casa, sulle rive soleggiate del fiume presso le barche, nell'ombra del bosco di Sal, all'ombra del fico crebbe Siddharta, il bel figlio del Brahmino, il giovane falco, insieme all'amico suo, Govinda, anch'egli figlio di Brahmino.
[attributions added]
Kamaswami: "... And what is it now what you've got to give? What is it that you've learned, what you're able to do?"
Siddhartha: "I can think. I can wait. I can fast."
Kamaswami: "That's everything?"
Siddhartha: "I believe, that's everything!"

Chi è Siddharta? È uno che cerca, e cerca soprattutto di vivere intera la propria vita. Passa di esperienza in esperienza, dal misticismo alla sensualità, dalla meditazione filosofica alla vita degli affari, e non si ferma presso nessun maestro, non considera definitiva nessuna acquisizione, perché ciò che va cercato è il tutto, il misterioso tutto che si veste di mille volti cangianti. E alla fine quel tutto, la ruota delle apparenze, rifluirà dietro il perfetto sorriso di Siddharta, che ripete il "costante, tranquillo, fine, impenetrabile, forse benigno, forse schernevole, saggio, multirugoso sorriso di Gotama, il Buddha, quale egli stesso l'aveva visto centinaia di volte con venerazione". Siddharta è senz'altro l'opera di Hesse più universalmente nota. Questo breve romanzo di ambiente indiano, pubblicato per la prima volta nel 1922, ha avuto infatti in questi ultimi anni una strepitosa fortuna. Prima in America, poi in ogni parte del mondo, i giovani lo hanno riscoperto come un loro testo, dove non trovavano solo un grande scrittore moderno ma un sottile e delicato saggio, capace di dare, attraverso questa parabola romanzesca, un insegnamento sulla vita che evidentemente i suoi lettori non incontravano altrove.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553208845, Mass Market Paperback)

In the novel, Siddhartha, a young man, leaves his family for a contemplative life, then, restless, discards it for one of the flesh. He conceives a son, but bored and sickened by lust and greed, moves on again. Near despair, Siddhartha comes to a river where he hears a unique sound. This sound signals the true beginning of his life -- the beginning of suffering, rejection, peace, and, finally, wisdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:09 -0400)

In the novel, Siddhartha, a young man, leaves his family for a contemplative life, then, restless, discards it for one of the flesh. He conceives a son, but bored and sickened by lust and greed, moves on again. Near despair, Siddhartha comes to a river where he hears a unique sound. This sound signals the true beginning of his life-- the beginning of suffering, rejection, peace, and, finally, wisdom.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,233,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible