Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Siddhartha (original 1922; edition 2002)

by Hermann Hesse

Member:Smiler69
Title:Siddhartha
Authors:Hermann Hesse
Info:Shambhala (2002), Edition: New Ed, Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Given Away/Sold
Tags:20th Century, Fiction, German Literature, Literature, Bildungsroman, Buddhism, Philosophy, Existentialism, Religion, Spirituality, India, Nobel Prize, 1001 Books, Read in 2002, Sold

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (1922)

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (Smiler69)
    Mahābhārata (R. K. Narayan ed.) by Vyasa (Jona25)
    Ramayana by C. Rajagopalachari (Jona25)
    Buddha by Karen Armstrong (Nickelini)
    Buddha, Volume 1: Kapilavastu by Osamu Tezuka (JqnOC)
    Remember, be here now by Ram Dass (JFDR)
    The Black Girl in Search of God (becca58203)
    Creation by Gore Vidal (mcenroeucsb)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (JFDR)
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books share a similar quest for self-knowledge with the ultimate realization that what one is looking for was with you all the time. After all, there's no place like Om

English (155)  Spanish (4)  Italian (4)  Swedish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (175)
Simple. Elegant. Something I wish I had discovered when I was younger. This book opened me up to Demian, also by Hesse, which I'm discovering is absolutely amazing. ( )
  waelrammo | Sep 14, 2014 |
This is the story of Siddhartha's journey to find nirvana. I found it interesting how this journey progressed.

If I were to pick some morals from this story, they would be not to judge others and to really try to find happiness from the things around you--not what you think you want.

I only wish it felt that easy to follow this advice... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

I only wish it felt that easy to follow this advice... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I really loved this one. It's especially illuminating if you have some understanding of Vedic religion and how that fed developments in Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism, though that's not essential. Set on the Gangetic Plain about 2600 years ago, it's about one man's search for enlightenment. This man, Siddhartha, son of a Brahmin, even in the presence of Gautama Buddha himself, is unable to find a way if it depends on the teachings of others. There is, Siddhartha comes to believe, no single illuminated path for all men and women to follow. We must each of us make our own mistakes. We must all suffer, and no warning against it will ever help us. For to live some kind of bizarre life of comfort that prevents suffering also prevents our finding peace. The writing style is very honed down, lean, without abstruse digressions. It fulfills for me that fundamental need that all good fiction must meet: it reveals a completely imagined world. And isn't that what we really require from fiction: that it take us out of ourselves? That it, to paraphrase John Gardner, perpetuate the dream? Highly recommended. I much prefer it to Steppenwolf. Up next Journey to the East and The Glass Bead Game. ( )
  William345 | Jun 11, 2014 |
Siddhartha, by Nobel Prize-winning author Hermann Hesse, tells the story of the spiritual self-discovery of a man named Siddhartha in India during the time of the Buddha. The son of a Brahmin, Siddhartha leaves home on a quest for spiritual enlightenment and how he ultimately finds it. Every event, whether it is staying with some ascetics or living a rich and decadent life, all contribute towards this experience and eventual attainment of enlightenment for Siddhartha.

Written in a simple, lyrical style, Hesse's prose carries the reader along as a river - the very river in which Siddhartha sees the illusory nature of time and the cyclic nature of human experience. Perhaps not the best understanding of Indian philosophy; nevertheless, Siddhartha is an interesting meditation on the nature of life and demonstrates how Hesse himself aimed to cure his Lebenskrankheit by investigating Hindu and Buddhist teachings in which this book shares similar experiences.

I liked it but not as much to warrant a full three stars; maybe more like 2.5-2.7 stars if one can be that precise. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
[It] attempts to postulate an answer to the riddle of man's confused and contradictory existence in this universe.

Hermann Hesseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mila, MassimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neugroschel, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosner, HildaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(German)

Lieber, verehrter Romain Rolland!

Seit dem Herbst des Jahres 1914, da die seit kurzem angebrochene Atemnot der Geistigkeit auch mir plötzlich spürbar wurde, und wir einander von fremden Ufern her die Hand gaben, im Glauben an dieselben übernationalen Notwendigkeiten, seither habe ich den Wunsch gehabt, Ihnen einmal ein Zeichen meiner Liebe und zugleich eine Probe meines Tuns und einen Blick in meine Gedankenwelt zu geben. Nehmen Sie die Widmung des ersten Teiles meiner noch unvollendeten indischen Dichtung freundlichst entgegen von Ihrem

Hermann Hesse
In the shade of the house, in the sunshine of the riverbank near the boats, in the shade of the Sal-wood forest, in the shade of the fig tree is where Siddhartha grew up, the handsome son of the Brahman, the young falcon, together with his friend Govinda, son of a Brahman.
(Spanish)
En la penumbra y bajo el Sol, al margen del río y cerca a las barcas; a la sombra del bosque de Sauces, creció Siddhartha, el bello hijo del brahmán, el joven halcón, compañero de Govinda, amigo suyo y también hijo de un brahmán.
(German)

Im Schatten des Hauses, in der Sonne des Flußufers bei den Booten, im Schatten des Salwaldes, im Schatten des Feigenbaumes wuchs Sidartha auf, der schöne Sohn des Brahmanen, der junge Falke, zusammen mit Govinda, seinem Freunde, dem Brahmanensohn.
Dal verbo suchen (cercare) i Tedeschi fanno il participio presente, suchend, e lo usano sostantivato, der Suchende (colui che cerca), per designare quegli uomini che non s'accontentano della superficie delle cose, ma d'ogni aspetto della vita vogliono ragionando andare in fondo, e rendersi conto di sé stessi, del mondo, dei rapporti che tra loro e il mondo intercorrono. Questo cercare che è già di per sé un trovare, come disse uno dei più illustri fra questi «cercatori», e precisamente Sant'aAgostino; quel cercare che è in sostanza vivere nello spirito.
NOTA INTRODUTTIVA
Nell'ombra della casa, sulle rive soleggiate del fiume presso le barche, nell'ombra del bosco di Sal, all'ombra del fico crebbe Siddharta, il bel figlio del Brahmino, il giovane falco, insieme all'amico suo, Govinda, anch'egli figlio di Brahmino.
[attributions added]
Kamaswami: "... And what is it now what you've got to give? What is it that you've learned, what you're able to do?"
Siddhartha: "I can think. I can wait. I can fast."
Kamaswami: "That's everything?"
Siddhartha: "I believe, that's everything!"

Siddhartha is het verhaal van een brahmanenzoon die zijn leven wijdt aan het zoeken naar het ware zelf. Als asceet in de bergen mediteert en vast hij, maar vindt de waarheid niet. Zwervend als bedelmonnik hoort hij spreken over de Boeddha, maar ook de grote Meester kan hem de waarheid niet geven. Dan stort hij zich in het wereldse leven, wordt minnaar van de courtisane Kamala, verwerft rijkdom en bezit, totdat hij voelt hierin ten onder te zullen gaan; en opnieuw wordt hij bedelaar.

Geleid door het heilige Om komt Siddhartha ten slotte aan de grote rivier, symbool van harmonie en vergankelijkheid. In de hut van de oude veerman leert hij de wereld der dingen lief te hebben en te begrijpen.

'Van een steen kan ik houden, en ook van een boom of een stuk schors. Het zijn tastbare zaken, en van wat tastbaar is kan men houden. Maar van woorden kan ik niet houden. Daarom zie ik niets in een leer.'

Zo is Siddhartha van asceet en bedelmonnik, levensgenieter en rijkaard teruggekeerd tot de eenvoud van een kind: hij heeft de harmonie, het eeuwige Om gevonden.

Hermann Hesse (1877-1962) ontving in 1946 de Nobelprijs voor Literatuur. Tot zijn beroemdste romans horen Demian, De steppewolf, Narziss en Goldmund en Het Kralenspel.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553208845, Mass Market Paperback)

In the novel, Siddhartha, a young man, leaves his family for a contemplative life, then, restless, discards it for one of the flesh. He conceives a son, but bored and sickened by lust and greed, moves on again. Near despair, Siddhartha comes to a river where he hears a unique sound. This sound signals the true beginning of his life -- the beginning of suffering, rejection, peace, and, finally, wisdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:29 -0400)

In the novel, Siddhartha, a young man, leaves his family for a contemplative life, then, restless, discards it for one of the flesh. He conceives a son, but bored and sickened by lust and greed, moves on again. Near despair, Siddhartha comes to a river where he hears a unique sound. This sound signals the true beginning of his life-- the beginning of suffering, rejection, peace, and, finally, wisdom.… (more)

Twelve editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible