Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis

2,1033203,133 (3.8)1 / 100
Member:GoldieBug
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Teen Books, Autographed
Rating:*****
Tags:autographed, science fiction, romance, teen fiction, young adult, cloning, space opera, spaceships

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

English (321)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (325)
Frexing like Rabbits... *Very minor spoilers in first paragraph*

"Frexing" -the world's oldest past-time and the favored activity of all of the Feeders that live on the spaceship Godspeed, when the "Season" is active. And I don't mean the social season for high society. I'm talking about the scheduled mating season on Godspeed where everyone gets an extra dose of hormones in their water so they can be in an optimal mood to openly frex like rabbits in the garden, in the hallways, in the middle of the road, in the corn fields or anywhere there's an open patch of space not already occupied by their neighbors.

Amy is not from Godspeed. She and her parents are from Sol-Earth but they have decided to move to a new planet, Centauri-Earth and aid in its development and colonization. The planet is about 250 years away though so they are being transported on Godspeed via cryo chambers. So imagine Amy's surprise when she is awoken from her cryo chamber about 200 years too early and now has to live on a ship from the Twilight Zone with about 2000 people who are mind controlled by the drug Phydus so they are calm and will conform yet, they think she's the one who isn't normal.

So this story wasn't quite what I was expecting but it was still very entertaining to say the least. It's actually part murder mystery which I always enjoy so I really liked trying to figure out who the culprit was. It wasn't that hard to solve but it was still fun.The ship has some crazy shenanigans going on though and some of the characters aren't very likable but that's really part of the story so you just have to go into it with an open mind and be prepared for anything. It also portrays some heavy issues like suicide and rape though so if you don't like reading about those you might want to steer clear of this one.

EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. I've always wondered if you can freeze people and thaw them out to live again. I also like sci-fi books. This one though shows that there are dictators no matter what year it is and also a little white supremacists. I do think the author should have never told us what year they left or at least but it further ahead. Just 15 years away to me isn't very realistic.

But over all a good read and I'm looking forward to the next one. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
If I sum this book up in two words it would be "Space Oddity"

The first three quarters of this book is just so boring. It took me forever to finish. I even had to renew it at the end so I could finish it.

The story itself is also rather peculiar too. I was at a loss as to how this was all going to come together in the end. I want to say It read kind of youngish for me but then there are some situations that were not for young people at all. There is a near rape that gets handled rather oddly, plus numerous mentions of sex.

But, in the end it did come together and even made sense, in a odd, I'm out in deep space for too long, kind of way. So, I bumped my 2.5 rating up to 3 stars. ( )
  Leah422 | Jul 10, 2016 |
  MarijaSabljic | Jun 28, 2016 |
Man, this one was on track to be pretty darned awesome. Then it wasn't. It took a wrong turn along the way and turned into a morality tale/open-ended story. It just got weak. Hmph. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,263,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible