Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis

1,7342914,081 (3.85)1 / 96
Member:GoldieBug
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Teen Books, Autographed
Rating:*****
Tags:autographed, science fiction, romance, teen fiction, young adult, cloning, space opera, spaceships

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

English (290)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (293)
Goodreads Synopsis: A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

My Review: This book is crazy. It feels like it messed with my head. An amazing story that I couldn't put down. I need to read more, even though I know this book is over. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm obsessed. It's insane. When I started reading it, I often stopped to think about what I was reading. And when I did that, it really started to seem weird. Things didn't add up. But while I was reading it, everything made perfect sense. I couldn't stop. I'd read, and then stop and think about it and wonder just what I was really reading. It has a religious haze around it that I broke through, but couldn't quite shake while I was reading it. It's like a murder mystery, but it's also nothing like that. I can't quite pinpoint what this book really is. All I know is that I need more. Harley was probably my favourite character. He was one of the people that really made the book come alive. Someone to connect with, even though everyone was on a spaceship in the middle of the galaxy. The whole Eldest/Elder thing confused me up until the very end when everything suddenly made perfect sense. Amy's life is effed. Elder's life is effed. I can't comprehend what it would be like to live like this. Medicated. Sheep. I don't know what to think about it. It's crazy. It's like I don't know what to do with my life now that this book is over. Find the next one, maybe. Yeah. That'll be fun. Anyways, thanks for reading. Definitely check out this book, it's amazing.

(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com) ( )
  aurora.schnarr | Aug 26, 2014 |
Mystery and intrigue drive the plot of this science fiction thriller. The ship Godspeed was launched towards Centuari-Earth with both a cryogenically frozen complement of colonizers and a living generational crew. The story is revealed in alternating chapters. Amy expected to be frozen for 300 years, but finds herself awoken 50 years early. Elder has been raised to be the next leader of the people on Godspeed. They are each in different ways isolated and alone in a world where they have no control. They find themselves trapped on a ship that runs on lies, and now someone is killing the colonizers – and Amy’s parents could be next. They must stop the killer, and decide what kind of leaders they will be.

Intrigue, hidden secrets, and lies drive the plot of this science fiction thriller as Amy and Elder hunt for a killer aboard a generational colonizing ship. Amidst their grief and fear, they must determine what kind of leaders they want to be. ( )
  ktoonen | Aug 24, 2014 |
An interesting look at what happens when people follow blindly along after a designated leader. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
From Book Obsession: http://bookobsessiongpl.blogspot.com/2013/05/kearstens-book-club-across-universe...

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

Last week was yet another book club meeting (you missed it?!). This time, our book of choice was Beth Revis' Across the Universe, which we very loudly discussed for a good hour and a half.

Our discussion leader, Zach, started us off with a tour of the awesome Godspeed schematics on the official Across the Universe website (it's very cool). And then we started talking "Across the Universe"... And what, you ask, did we talk about?

Do you expect science fact to be included in your science fiction? Does it matter if something is *wrong*? (though, thanks to the teens who'd read ahead, we discovered that the thing that was wrong - trying to avoid spoilers here - was explained in the second book)

How much truth should our leaders tell us? Is it okay to lie to 'the people' if it will keep them happy?

How crazy-pants and scary is genetic modification?! (according to book club: A lot. A lot scary.)

And, finally, diversity and cover representations, specifically white-washing, where the cover models of a book clearly misrepresent the characters within. Elder is described in the book as a person of color, yet the cover model on the hardcover is clearly a Caucasian male. Grrrrrrrr....

We had a great discussion inspired by this tense science fiction book about big ideas and we think you might enjoy it, too. Already read it? Try one of these book-clubber-suggested titles!

Matched by Ally Condie - In the society, officials decide who you love, where you work and when you die. Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen. Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one, until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices, between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path no one else has ever dared follow, between perfection and passion.

Rash by Pete Hautman - In a future society that has decided it would "rather be safe than free," sixteen-year-old Bo's anger control problems land him in a tundra jail where he survives with the help of his running skills and an artificial intelligence program named Bork.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver - Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, she falls in love. (Note: Kearsten's Book Club also discussed Delirium - read about that discussion here!)

Brave New World by Aldus Huxley - Huxley's terrifying vision of a controlled and emotionless future "Utopian" society is truly startling in its prediction of modern scientific and cultural phenomena, including test-tube babies and rampant drug abuse. ( )
  kayceel | Aug 12, 2014 |
Surprising. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,662,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible