Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis

1,6952814,207 (3.85)1 / 94
Member:GoldieBug
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Teen Books, Autographed
Rating:*****
Tags:autographed, science fiction, romance, teen fiction, young adult, cloning, space opera, spaceships

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

English (281)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (284)
Now this was some great YA! It has a heck of a first chapter (I dare you to read it and not be hooked), and it keeps up the pace the whole time. A great read that also brings up some questions that really make you think. My only complaint is that the ending was a little weak, but I see that sequels are planned - can't wait! ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
This was a solid three-star read simply for the complex characters until it petered out into a blah finish at the end. The foreshadowing was awfully heavy-handed, I knew from about thirty pages in exactly what was up with the Elders.

This wasn't a terrible story but honestly, how is this stuff getting published? I would never have picked it up in a bookstore, it was a smart move on the publishers' part to let io9 post the first hundred pages. It got at least one person who would have skipped it to at least pay for the e-book.

There were some really solid moments in this story: interactions between characters, personal revelations, and descriptive writing. The abrupt ending just kind of wrecked the parts I did like, and left me thinking "so what?". Her editor should have given it a little more time rather than rushing to capitalize on the Twilight craze. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
A young adult book about a teenage girl, Amy, and her parents who are cryogenically frozen in order to board Godspeed, a ship bound for a new Earth in a new solar system. The opening scene is stunning and haunting as Amy describes watching both her mother and father be frozen, and then describes being frozen herself. Chilling stuff - no pun intended! The story is a little slow at first, Amy's chapters are told from inside her frozen state, and we are introduced to Elder, a ship-born leader in training who rescues Amy when she is woken/reanimated 50 years ahead of schedule and left to drown in the cryogenic freezing liquid. The mystery lies in who woke her up early - and who is killing other frozens aboard the ship? ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
Teenage fiction apparently, but i rather enjoyed it. ( )
  ghostdog801 | Jul 2, 2014 |
I freaking LOVED this book.
Beth Revis redefines dystopian novel. Not only was the idea of the book just so brilliant, but I honestly loved everything that happened. Not once did I consider putting the book down. (And hey, perks: one of my favorite Beatles songs is the title…how cool is that?)
Amy is a really cool, clueless-without-being-clueless character that I definitely loved. But, what I think was what drew me into the book was that it was about space. I’ve always had a weird fascination with anything weird (make sense?)—and freezing people only to unfreeze them three centuries later is definitely my kind of weird.
Amy, while being interesting and my favorite character could have had more foundation to her life. I mean, we all know what Earth looks like—I don’t need her takes on how green the grass and how wide and blue the sky is. I want real things that I don’t know…for some reason I just felt she wasn’t solid; so that’s one of my only complaints.
I didn’t like Eldest. He was a jerky, megalomaniac brat that pissed me off on more than one occasion. Elder on the other hand was another favorite character of mine.
There’s a murder mystery, interwoven beautifully with a little bit of romance and all things weird-and-freaky that really makes this book stand out in today’s standard of YA novel, so if any of those genres interests you, you should definitely give this a go.
And c’mon, admit it, the cover is gorgeous! It definitely draws your eye at the store, and makes you wonder ‘hmm…what’s that?’ so the author gets extra points for such a lovely cover.
I really can’t wait for the next one: I’m dying here, imagining what might possibly happen!
  cicibear26 | Jun 28, 2014 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,643,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible