Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis

2,1313243,070 (3.79)1 / 100
Member:GoldieBug
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Teen Books, Autographed
Rating:*****
Tags:autographed, science fiction, romance, teen fiction, young adult, cloning, space opera, spaceships

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

English (325)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  English (329)
In her debut book, Beth Revis provides an entertaining, science fiction adventure. Sci-Fi novels, in the Young Adult universe, are few and far between, but Across the Universe stands on its own and will surely find a place in the hearts of many fans.

Amy, in present day, is frozen - along with her parents - and loaded on a ship launched for a new planet. Her parents are part of a crew that was deemed vital to securing and inhabiting the new planet. Amy is along for the journey.

Three hundred years later, aboard Godspeed, Elder is the next in line to lead the ship’s people. After centuries onboard, there is no diversity, no difference, and no uniqueness among the people on the ship.

The story is told from both Amy and Elder’s perspective. Amy’s story starts the day she is frozen and continues when she is awoken - fifty years before schedule. Elder’s story starts on Godspeed as he fights with Eldest (the current leader) to learn more about the ship for his future rule.

Across the Universe is definitely futuristic. We have a self-contained space ship, cryogenics and some advanced medical and scientific sub-plots that I will not get into least I spoil it for you. The characters are well rounded and endearing - Harley being my instant favourite. I wasn’t a fan of Elder in the beginning, but I loved the way Beth handled his characterization. He grew on me in the end, becoming more complex than initially presented.

The one thing I found lacking was that I failed to be wowed by the mystery. As soon as the villain was introduced I saw right through him - it was a little too obvious. A lot of time was spent trying to throw the scent off, but the actions of the villain were pretty transparent. However, the way the story progressed and the way questions raised were answered, helped in creating a good tension for the story and kept me quite engaged until the end. I find that I am curious to know what happens next in Amy and Elders life and am looking forward to the sequels.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I wanted to think for once I could possibly enjoy a YA sci-fi novel, and I really, really didn't. I couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to even start liking it at all, and the stupid logical voice in my head kept screaming at me that "this makes no sense" all the time.

I'm sorry, but I absolutely cannot believe that someone who's cryogenically frozen can still actually dream, and while she's still basically frozen (though thawing) she can hear...yet all the while her heart is NOT BEATING. If your heart doesn't beat and there's no blood flow to your brain, it isn't functional and you can't possibly experience REM sleep or any other sort of consciousness that I can possibly imagine. (and please don't tell me about near-death experiences where you feel like you're outside your body and all that -- these are called "near-death" experiences for a reason.)

I've also had a large number of issues with the author's Eldest/Elder concept, and the more it was explained, the less it seemed to make any sort of logical sense to me.

Also, "frex"? Really? Yes, I realize this is in the future by several centuries, but "frex"? Why? If you're going to start using weird expressions to replace swear words, why not just completely leave them out? The dialog could have lived without any of that stuff, and might have been better off without it.

And finally, excuse me, but if the female main character is 16, then I expect her mom is about 40-ish (and hence, about my age) but the description she makes of her when she sees her mom naked in the first chapter...???? Seriously? "Her skin had that rice-paper-thin, over-moisturized consistency old people's skin has. Her stomach--a part of her she always kept hidden under clothes--sagged in a wrinkly sort of way that made her look even more vulnerable and weak." -- WHAT? I know 60-year-old women whose body in no way looks that way, and I'm offended by the implication that to a teenager, anyone that's their parent's age must look ancient and decaying!

Maybe the book gets better, once you get past the start and the main characters meet, and whatever...but I guess I'll never know, and I'm really annoyed that I bought this one instead of having a look at the library for it. BLAH. ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
I hate sci fi... So I'm not sure why I started reading this....19 pages in and I was done. Not for me.
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Review coming soon.
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
Frexing like Rabbits... *Very minor spoilers in first paragraph*

"Frexing" -the world's oldest past-time and the favored activity of all of the Feeders that live on the spaceship Godspeed, when the "Season" is active. And I don't mean the social season for high society. I'm talking about the scheduled mating season on Godspeed where everyone gets an extra dose of hormones in their water so they can be in an optimal mood to openly frex like rabbits in the garden, in the hallways, in the middle of the road, in the corn fields or anywhere there's an open patch of space not already occupied by their neighbors.

Amy is not from Godspeed. She and her parents are from Sol-Earth but they have decided to move to a new planet, Centauri-Earth and aid in its development and colonization. The planet is about 250 years away though so they are being transported on Godspeed via cryo chambers. So imagine Amy's surprise when she is awoken from her cryo chamber about 200 years too early and now has to live on a ship from the Twilight Zone with about 2000 people who are mind controlled by the drug Phydus so they are calm and will conform yet, they think she's the one who isn't normal.

So this story wasn't quite what I was expecting but it was still very entertaining to say the least. It's actually part murder mystery which I always enjoy so I really liked trying to figure out who the culprit was. It wasn't that hard to solve but it was still fun.The ship has some crazy shenanigans going on though and some of the characters aren't very likable but that's really part of the story so you just have to go into it with an open mind and be prepared for anything. It also portrays some heavy issues like suicide and rape though so if you don't like reading about those you might want to steer clear of this one.

EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,626,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible