Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis

2,0633173,222 (3.8)1 / 100
Member:GoldieBug
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Info:Razorbill (2011), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Teen Books, Autographed
Rating:*****
Tags:autographed, science fiction, romance, teen fiction, young adult, cloning, space opera, spaceships

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

Recently added byMarijaSabljic, _Chelsea_, private library, FionaBaylis, imahorcrux, mtlkch, kennkay12, Shadow494

English (318)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (322)
  MarijaSabljic | Jun 28, 2016 |
Man, this one was on track to be pretty darned awesome. Then it wasn't. It took a wrong turn along the way and turned into a morality tale/open-ended story. It just got weak. Hmph. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
One of the best YA books I've read in a long time. I can't remember ever reading anything like it - a science fiction, dystopian, murder-mystery romance. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Sometimes there's a drawback to being such an avid reader. In this case, I couldn't fully appreciate this book because I kept being reminded of other stories, especially [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver #1)|Lois Lowry|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] and [b:The Dark beyond the Stars|2858081|The Dark beyond the Stars|Frank M. Robinson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1276225440s/2858081.jpg|1243349]. After generations of a small community living a life unlike 20th-century Earth, rules and protocols become religious traditions, obeyed without question, and (naturally) a strong person comes along to either 1. take over or 2. break free.

But that was actually the best part of the book, imo. I would have liked it more if it had explored more thoroughly the science and consequences of, say, keeping the Feeders stupid, or letting creative people be born but then corralling them in a mental ward. Instead, the book is mostly a page-turner, a romance inside a mystery-thriller in an SF frame. Whoop-de-do.

This is not a bad book, and the characters are relatively (for a thriller) well-developed, but the whole time I was reading I was like yeah, ok, solve the mystery already, and then give me something *more*." Well, I guess for more I need to read the next book(s). I think I'll pass. Otoh, I don't fault anyone who loves it. They're just not as jaded as I. And I envy them." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Rating: 3.5

Let me start of by saying the first had of the book was boring. I mean extremly boring. It took me a a couple of days to get through it and I'm usually the type of person that finishes a book in a day. The characters were extremely bland and really the story was slow and didn't have much of substance.

BUT ...

From the middle of the book it progressively got better. I particularly enjoyed the last 50-70 pages and during those pages I couldn't put the book down. If I were to rate the book only on the second half, I would give it 4.5 stars. ( )
  Makkiah | May 19, 2016 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,838,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible