Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis, Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)

1,6972824,203 (3.85)1 / 94
Member:arak
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Other authors:Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)
Info:Razorbill (2011), Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:Teen, Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic, Dystopia, Action, Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Ethics, Audio

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

English (282)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (285)
Wow, this is seriously the best book I've read in a very long time. I was told that it was good, but I really had no idea that it would be this phenomenal.

This book has the most phenomenal world building. Beth Revis created a world that was so futuristic and realistic at the same time. The descriptions were great, I could visualize everything without the book being bogged down with details. I absolutely loved the science aspect of this book. I don't want to give any spoilers, but this book was like giving a toy to the scientific part of my brain. I'm greedy and I want more. I can't wait to read the sequel. I really don't know how to review this book besides to say: IT'S AWESOME AND YOU NEED TO READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T.

I might return to this review later once I get over how epic the last 50 pages of the book were. ( )
  manka23 | Jul 29, 2014 |
Now this was some great YA! It has a heck of a first chapter (I dare you to read it and not be hooked), and it keeps up the pace the whole time. A great read that also brings up some questions that really make you think. My only complaint is that the ending was a little weak, but I see that sequels are planned - can't wait! ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
This was a solid three-star read simply for the complex characters until it petered out into a blah finish at the end. The foreshadowing was awfully heavy-handed, I knew from about thirty pages in exactly what was up with the Elders.

This wasn't a terrible story but honestly, how is this stuff getting published? I would never have picked it up in a bookstore, it was a smart move on the publishers' part to let io9 post the first hundred pages. It got at least one person who would have skipped it to at least pay for the e-book.

There were some really solid moments in this story: interactions between characters, personal revelations, and descriptive writing. The abrupt ending just kind of wrecked the parts I did like, and left me thinking "so what?". Her editor should have given it a little more time rather than rushing to capitalize on the Twilight craze. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
A young adult book about a teenage girl, Amy, and her parents who are cryogenically frozen in order to board Godspeed, a ship bound for a new Earth in a new solar system. The opening scene is stunning and haunting as Amy describes watching both her mother and father be frozen, and then describes being frozen herself. Chilling stuff - no pun intended! The story is a little slow at first, Amy's chapters are told from inside her frozen state, and we are introduced to Elder, a ship-born leader in training who rescues Amy when she is woken/reanimated 50 years ahead of schedule and left to drown in the cryogenic freezing liquid. The mystery lies in who woke her up early - and who is killing other frozens aboard the ship? ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
Teenage fiction apparently, but i rather enjoyed it. ( )
  ghostdog801 | Jul 2, 2014 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,698,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible