Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis, Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)

2,2093262,939 (3.79)1 / 101
Member:arak
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Other authors:Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)
Info:Razorbill (2011), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Audio, Fiction, Your library
Tags:Teen, Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic, Dystopia, Action, Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Ethics, Audio

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

English (328)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All (332)
I listened via audiobook and I really hated the narration for the Elder chapters. However, once I got past my dislike and started really listening to the story I got sucked in rather quickly. It's not a bad read, although I thought some of the material was a bit too much for a young adult novel. (Attempted rape?! Yeeesh! That was intense even for me!)

I really like the general concept, being frozen for 300 years and waking up to discover that everything has drastically changed. That's a really cool idea and I think the author did a great job executing what that would be like in both the waiting to be unfrozen and the emotional roller coaster experienced when one finally awakes. I also think she did a fantastic job of creating suspense where suspense was needed.

I know that this book is part of a trilogy, but I don't think I will read the rest of the series. For me the ending to this book was perfect. I don't really care what happens next. Perhaps some of the suspense carried throughout the novel needs to be added to the end to make readers hungry for more?

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys sci-fi with a splash of romance added in. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
i found the beginning to be quite boring but then it got interesting towards the end. i liked it ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
This could've been so good.

For some reason, I thought it would be so good.

Long story short: It's not.

First of all, the writing is not superb. It's not awful, but since everything else is also lacking, the not-so-great writing stands out even more.

Then there are the characters. I guess they aren't terrible or unrealistic, but... they just aren't great either. They aren't WRITTEN well. Elder is basically a child all the time, and not in an effective boy-trying-to-be-leader way. Amy is freaking annoying. She has plenty of reasons to be upset all the time, but still. It's just not done well. Harley is probably the only character I like.

Which brings me to the plot itself. SO FREAKING PREDICTABLE. And I'm not just talking about the romance. Literally everything. I knew right away who Orion would turn out to be, knew how it would end for Harley, knew there had to be something up with the water. The absolute only thing that was actually a surprise was Elder's final confession to Amy at the end, and that part, while pleasantly surprising, just goes on to prove how childish Elder has been the whole time.

Man, it could've been so good. Just a major disappointment. Honestly I'm surprised I managed to get all the way through it. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Mar 11, 2017 |
fairly likable characters but I am not engaging with the story line. could return to finish rading if nothing more interesting showed, but some authors consistently turn out more interesting fare ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 8, 2017 |

Across the Universe by Beth Revis begins with 17 year old Amy Martin and her parents, Maria and Robert, in a cryo lab, deciding who will be frozen first.

Maria, a geneticist, ends up going first so Amy will not be afraid. The process is explained, from inserting an IV to sealing the eyes, inserting tubes into the stomach, and eventually, filling the clear box with a strange blue liquid. Lastly, the box is flash frozen and then put into a drawer, similar to a morgue.

Before Her father goes into the box to start his freezing process, he tells Amy that she will go last. That way she may choose to stay behind and live with her aunt and uncle. He does not want to pressure his daughter to the life he and her mother have chosen.

Amy is traumatized by watching her parents go through the process. Her parents are top scientists, and it is vital that they agreed to be frozen and reanimated 300 years in the future, when the ship arrives at the new planet. After a while, Amy does decide to go ahead with the procedure even though she knows it is going to be painful an she will never see anyone on earth ever again.

Soon, Amy is frozen. However, Amy quickly notices that she is still conscious. Will she be in this suspended, conscious state for 300 years?!

"People have been cryo frozen before me, and none of them were conscious. If the mind is frozen, it cannot be awake or aware"

The story moves forward to 250 years in the future as the ship glides through space. . During the time Amy was inanimate, she had thoughts or dreams although this should not have been possible. Amy and her parents are on the ship - Godspeed. Elder/Eldest is the name given to the ship's leaders. The Eldest is the main leader; Elder is a leader in training. Each Eldest/Elder is created in a lab on Godspeed. The eldest person of his generation will be the ship's leader when the time is appropriate. People do not live long lives on Godspeed.

The current Eldest is a hard man. The Elder, a 16 year old, is impatient that his mentor will not reveal all there is to know about the ship and how it operates.

Amy's frozen, glass box becomes mysteriously unplugged and she is hastily and painfully reanimated. Amy has now been reanimated almost 50 years early. There no way to safely refreeze Amy so she is now all alone. Only Elder and his friend Harley will keep Amy company and protect her when possible. And, when the ship lands, Amy will be much older than her parents once they are reanimated.

Eldest is angry about Amy's presence, seeing her as a dissident. He announces to the entire ship that she is a freak and should be avoided.

Amy demands to know what has happened to her. Things escalate when other frozens are unplugged. Some live and are refrozen - some die. Amy finally figures out that there is a military connection which makes her fear for her father's life.

The operation of the ship is somewhat complex. People are drugged into submission for easy rule. The drugs were put into the drinking water. People who are no longer useful are secretly killed. The majority of the people, "Feeders," are told what to do, when to do it, and even when to mate. Drugs are used to remove individual thought. This, all to keep the ship running smoothly.

It is learned that Orion, the Record Keeper is really an Elder that was supposed to have been killed. He arrives and kills Eldest. It is also learned that he is the one that has been killing frozens. Orion believed that the military personnel would turn the ship's people into slaves. Orion is frozen by Elder.

Elder is suddenly cast into the role of Eldest and the ship's ruler. He outlaws drugs and begins to try to figure out how to undo all of the misdeeds and lies done by the former Eldests and how to build a future with Amy. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Osborne, EmilyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beth Revis's book Across the Universe was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible