Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis, Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)

1,7482934,038 (3.85)1 / 96
Member:arak
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Other authors:Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)
Info:Razorbill (2011), Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:Teen, Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic, Dystopia, Action, Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Ethics, Audio

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

Recently added bystrongasanoak, Cynical_Ames, cheekylala, ku., private library

English (292)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (295)
I'm not a YA- not by a long shot- but I really liked the creativity of this story. The romance angst was a tad annoying but other than that the characters were great and the whole concept of traveling to another world and frozen people while their are "disposable people" keeping things moving along was pretty interesting. I have read all 3 and the ending (the last ending) was absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for the great read. ( )
  joyelett | Sep 18, 2014 |
Across the Universe is a book that I feel I've been waiting forever to read, it's been on my TBR shelve for ages, and I've had it on my kindle for just as long, so when I started organising my reading by months I decided that it was time. This books started out good but I'm sad to say that it isn't without its flaws.

My biggest issue with this book was how it was so predictable. I knew who the 'killer' was from the start and I also knew things they tried to subtlety hint at only to reveal at the end. And anyone who knows me , knows I have a very hard time getting over the predictability of a book, there's only a few books that I still enjoy despite it.

Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad. I liked some of the characters, sadly they we the sub characters. I found the main ones high annoying, Eldest was maybe the worst character out of the lot, I really didn't like him. The world that Beth Revis was good, but just not for me, I wasn't blown away and maybe that was because I had went into it excited about reading it after so long and in a way, expecting to feel more.

The relationships in it I also didn't get. The only one for me that was believable was between a sub character and his dead girlfriend. I just didn't think Elder and Amy worked well together at all, others may disagree with me but that's how I fell.

I think this book would have been brilliant for its target audiences which I'm guessing is between 12-16, but I don't think that anyone above that age would feel the same as they do and connect with it as much. So just because I didn't really like it as much as I would have hoped, doesn't mean its all Bet Revis's fault, it just isn't one of those YA books that you could read regardless of age ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Goodreads Synopsis: A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

My Review: This book is crazy. It feels like it messed with my head. An amazing story that I couldn't put down. I need to read more, even though I know this book is over. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm obsessed. It's insane. When I started reading it, I often stopped to think about what I was reading. And when I did that, it really started to seem weird. Things didn't add up. But while I was reading it, everything made perfect sense. I couldn't stop. I'd read, and then stop and think about it and wonder just what I was really reading. It has a religious haze around it that I broke through, but couldn't quite shake while I was reading it. It's like a murder mystery, but it's also nothing like that. I can't quite pinpoint what this book really is. All I know is that I need more. Harley was probably my favourite character. He was one of the people that really made the book come alive. Someone to connect with, even though everyone was on a spaceship in the middle of the galaxy. The whole Eldest/Elder thing confused me up until the very end when everything suddenly made perfect sense. Amy's life is effed. Elder's life is effed. I can't comprehend what it would be like to live like this. Medicated. Sheep. I don't know what to think about it. It's crazy. It's like I don't know what to do with my life now that this book is over. Find the next one, maybe. Yeah. That'll be fun. Anyways, thanks for reading. Definitely check out this book, it's amazing.

(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com) ( )
  aurora.schnarr | Aug 26, 2014 |
Mystery and intrigue drive the plot of this science fiction thriller. The ship Godspeed was launched towards Centuari-Earth with both a cryogenically frozen complement of colonizers and a living generational crew. The story is revealed in alternating chapters. Amy expected to be frozen for 300 years, but finds herself awoken 50 years early. Elder has been raised to be the next leader of the people on Godspeed. They are each in different ways isolated and alone in a world where they have no control. They find themselves trapped on a ship that runs on lies, and now someone is killing the colonizers – and Amy’s parents could be next. They must stop the killer, and decide what kind of leaders they will be.

Intrigue, hidden secrets, and lies drive the plot of this science fiction thriller as Amy and Elder hunt for a killer aboard a generational colonizing ship. Amidst their grief and fear, they must determine what kind of leaders they want to be. ( )
  ktoonen | Aug 24, 2014 |
An interesting look at what happens when people follow blindly along after a designated leader. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,771,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible