Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis, Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)

2,0373133,281 (3.8)1 / 99
Member:arak
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Other authors:Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)
Info:Razorbill (2011), Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Audio, Fiction, Your library
Tags:Teen, Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic, Dystopia, Action, Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Ethics, Audio

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

English (314)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (318)
Rating: 3.5

Let me start of by saying the first had of the book was boring. I mean extremly boring. It took me a a couple of days to get through it and I'm usually the type of person that finishes a book in a day. The characters were extremely bland and really the story was slow and didn't have much of substance.

BUT ...

From the middle of the book it progressively got better. I particularly enjoyed the last 50-70 pages and during those pages I couldn't put the book down. If I were to rate the book only on the second half, I would give it 4.5 stars. ( )
  Makkiah | May 19, 2016 |
I love this book. Can I like marry Elder?? ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
I think I would have likes this more if I had actually read it instead of listened to it. I was fine with the narrator for Amy but Elder's got on my nerves. I think he had too much of an accent to pull off someone in a monoethnic society.

I also felt like things were evolving very slowly. I know a ton of action can't be expected to take place in a ship, but a little more tension would have been great. The plot was good. I found it a little predictable but it didn't take away from the storyline.

My favorite part of this book was the characters. They were very well written, and have depth. Amy is strong and independent. She doesn't back down even when she's up against Eldest. She fights for what she believes is right. Elder is sweet and has the best of intentions. He just doesn't always have the best execution of plans. He ends up acting awkward most of the time because Amy is so different than anyone he's ever been around. Harley is by far my favorite character. He's incredibly sweet and outgoing. He's not afraid to be Amy's friend when others are leery of her. He's so full of life that his good moods are contagious.

I would say this is for fans of sci-fi with a romance and mystery that needs to be solved. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Finally I can read a new series. Must say this author has written her trilogy rather quick. I am glad. After having to re read many books of series because I forgot a lot when the next book came out, I decided not to start any new series.

Book 3 was just recently published so i am good.

Not sure if I am going to enjoy it though. I am on page 71 now and it just feels a it weird. maybe once I understand this world a bit better, I will enjoy it more.

Eta: I tried. I really tried but this was not the book for me and I was sad. Really wanted to enjoy.
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
[Tuesday, February 1, 2011] I would never, ever, ever leave earth to go to another planet or live in a cold coma for 300 years, under any circumstances; still the book is going great, and I just need to see how it will all go. Amy sleeping in a casket reminds me of Snow White, waiting for Prince Charming to come and wake her up.

[Friday, January 6, 2012] *SPOILERS* Finally in Chapter 11 Amy wakes up! I was getting claustrophobic! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,916,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible