Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis, Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)

1,6802814,252 (3.85)1 / 94
Member:arak
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Other authors:Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)
Info:Razorbill (2011), Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:Teen, Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic, Dystopia, Action, Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Ethics, Audio

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

2011 (30) 2013 (13) ARC (21) audiobook (9) cryogenics (41) dystopia (90) dystopian (39) ebook (11) fantasy (17) fiction (65) future (19) futuristic (9) murder (26) mystery (55) own (11) read (16) read in 2011 (20) read in 2012 (9) romance (54) science fiction (252) series (21) sf (17) space (34) space travel (59) teen (25) to-read (132) unread (9) YA (110) young adult (126) young adult fiction (12)

English (280)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (283)
This was a solid three-star read simply for the complex characters until it petered out into a blah finish at the end. The foreshadowing was awfully heavy-handed, I knew from about thirty pages in exactly what was up with the Elders.

This wasn't a terrible story but honestly, how is this stuff getting published? I would never have picked it up in a bookstore, it was a smart move on the publishers' part to let io9 post the first hundred pages. It got at least one person who would have skipped it to at least pay for the e-book.

There were some really solid moments in this story: interactions between characters, personal revelations, and descriptive writing. The abrupt ending just kind of wrecked the parts I did like, and left me thinking "so what?". Her editor should have given it a little more time rather than rushing to capitalize on the Twilight craze. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
A young adult book about a teenage girl, Amy, and her parents who are cryogenically frozen in order to board Godspeed, a ship bound for a new Earth in a new solar system. The opening scene is stunning and haunting as Amy describes watching both her mother and father be frozen, and then describes being frozen herself. Chilling stuff - no pun intended! The story is a little slow at first, Amy's chapters are told from inside her frozen state, and we are introduced to Elder, a ship-born leader in training who rescues Amy when she is woken/reanimated 50 years ahead of schedule and left to drown in the cryogenic freezing liquid. The mystery lies in who woke her up early - and who is killing other frozens aboard the ship? ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
Teenage fiction apparently, but i rather enjoyed it. ( )
  ghostdog801 | Jul 2, 2014 |
I freaking LOVED this book.
Beth Revis redefines dystopian novel. Not only was the idea of the book just so brilliant, but I honestly loved everything that happened. Not once did I consider putting the book down. (And hey, perks: one of my favorite Beatles songs is the title…how cool is that?)
Amy is a really cool, clueless-without-being-clueless character that I definitely loved. But, what I think was what drew me into the book was that it was about space. I’ve always had a weird fascination with anything weird (make sense?)—and freezing people only to unfreeze them three centuries later is definitely my kind of weird.
Amy, while being interesting and my favorite character could have had more foundation to her life. I mean, we all know what Earth looks like—I don’t need her takes on how green the grass and how wide and blue the sky is. I want real things that I don’t know…for some reason I just felt she wasn’t solid; so that’s one of my only complaints.
I didn’t like Eldest. He was a jerky, megalomaniac brat that pissed me off on more than one occasion. Elder on the other hand was another favorite character of mine.
There’s a murder mystery, interwoven beautifully with a little bit of romance and all things weird-and-freaky that really makes this book stand out in today’s standard of YA novel, so if any of those genres interests you, you should definitely give this a go.
And c’mon, admit it, the cover is gorgeous! It definitely draws your eye at the store, and makes you wonder ‘hmm…what’s that?’ so the author gets extra points for such a lovely cover.
I really can’t wait for the next one: I’m dying here, imagining what might possibly happen!
  cicibear26 | Jun 28, 2014 |
"The woman stood still like a windup toy that ran out of windup." Amy.

Okay, this was one of the weirder lines that stand out in Across the Universe. This is just an odd way to explain lack of movement but moving on.

Across the Universe is 1984 in space. Earth is decaying. The solution? Freeze the essential personnel, get on a ship, and go to Centauri Earth. The novel is from two perspectives. The first is Amy, a 17-year old girl who is frozen along with her parents to set off to a new world. They will be frozen for 300 years. The second is Elder, the 16 year old second in command of the ship known as Godspeed, the same ship that is carrying Amy, her parents, and about 96 others.

The real juicy bit is that someone on Godspeed is unfreezing some of the people, Amy included. Out of the four that were reanimated, Amy was the only one who survived the process but barely. Amy, Elder, and his friend Harley investigate who is the culprit. All the while, Amy discovers how life on Godspeed really works as Elder discovers secrets that run deep aboard.

I'm a sucker for dystopian societies especially ones that spread misinformation (Hitler being the greatest leader of all time, the Civil War being an actual racial conflict...). Revis did a good job of showing no matter how advance we may become, humankind has a knack of going backward. I really enjoyed how messed up life can be on such a contained space. That was interesting.

Amy was not. I couldn't really pity her because she was too busy pitying herself. She was constantly whining so much so I kept on going back and forth to see if I actually read she was 17 and not 12. The only time I liked her was when she was doped up on Phydus.

Elder was another one who was annoying. So broody. And violent. He always wanted to punch someone. In every paragraph. He was also stupid, must be all that in breeding. Did he honestly think a chair could break a pump like that? Yes, he did.

Suffice to say, I did like it enough that I will read the sequel. In time. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible