Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Beth Revis, Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)

1,7982993,893 (3.83)1 / 97
Member:arak
Title:Across the Universe
Authors:Beth Revis
Other authors:Lauren Ambrose (Narrator), Carlos Santos (Narrator)
Info:Razorbill (2011), Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:Teen, Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic, Dystopia, Action, Romance, Mystery, Thriller, Ethics, Audio

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (2011)

Recently added byohbookish, thepequodtwo, private library, kadyo, christinek101, potatopancake, C.Vick, dgmlrhodes

English (299)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (302)
This book was a quick and enjoyable read. I liked the story and enjoyed the characters, though I do feel that they needed a bit more fleshing out. Both Amy and Elder seemed flat at times and I wanted a bit more from them. I will say however, that I liked the way their relationship was handled in the book. It seemed as realistic as I could imagine a relationship to be, formed under their particular circumstances. Though there were parts of the book that I was easily able to predict, other parts came as a complete surprise. The end was perfectly written and has me begging for the sequel to find out how the future of Godspeed. All in all, it's a solid book and one I would recommend to someone looking for sci-fi and possible romance, without too much predictability on either front. ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
A beautiful cover, an interesting premise and a dash of sci-fi, all things that intrigued me and pushed me to pick this book up, and yet I felt underwhelmed by the actual product. To begin, I thought Revis’ world building was fairly good for a YA novel. Though there were some holes I generally felt as though I knew most of the ship Godspeed inside and out. I knew how the society aboard the vessel functions, general social norms, a vague history, and could basically draw a map of the place. There were also some good sci-fi elements, though definitely in the soft sci-fi sense, not that it’s a bad thing necessarily. I liked the cryo descriptions, the genetic engineering ideas and some of the new technology. However, there were several problems with the writing and plot that made the story much less enjoyable.

Although I felt that the novel was an okay read, one of my main problems with it was the fact that Amy and Elder lacked uniqueness in each of their voices. Several times I found myself starting a new chapter, and even though they switch back and forth between characters each time, sometimes I had to go back and double check whose point of view a chapter was from. I really didn’t feel like each of the characters was very distinct. The characters entirely lacked an identifiable voice. Each voice was basically the same, which was a big letdown considering they should have had radically different ways of thinking and acting.

Another big problem was the predictability factor. More and more what makes me enjoy a book is that I don’t see what’s going to happen from a mile away. The “mystery”really wasn’t one at all, and instead only served to make me feel like that book was slow because I was just waiting for the big reveal the whole time.

There was also two big events in the novel that I felt were there almost entirely for the shock value and did little to nothing for the plot, especially because of the characters reactions, or should I say lack of reactions to these events. Although these are huge and traumatic, the characters seem to get over them in no time at all, which makes me not only confused but creates a lack of empathy for the characters.

The first event is the almost gang rape scene between Amy, Luthe and the other two nameless males. Initially after the incident Amy is very shaken up and won’t even let Harley, who saved her from almost being raped, touch her or be around her, which is a realistic reaction from someone who has just been through that kind of trauma. However after hiding in her room for about a day, she has absolutely no problem with completely embracing and trusting Elder, who is on her list of murder suspects and she barely knows, when they use the grav-shoot. Huh?! What happened to being so traumatized you didn’t want the guy who saved you even in the same room? Now Amy’s suddenly completely okay with getting all touchy with a guy twenty-four hours after almost being raped? Her turn-about seemed unrealistic and confusing in the context of the novel. Plus, the almost-rape isn’t really even mentioned at all the rest of the book. So if Amy is over it in five seconds flat, what the heck was the point of that scene? I’ll tell you what, cheap shock value.

The second unnecessary event was Harley’s suicide. Amy and Elder don’t really seem A) surprised or B) that Upset about it. Your best and only friend kills himself and they basically move on without a second glance. I don’t know why Elder, who knows Harley’s had depressive episodes in his past, doesn’t bother to think for more than two seconds that maybe he should make sure Harley continues to take his medication. Even more so, Elder has been trained that his only job is to take care of everyone of the ship, so why is his best friend an exception? Amy and Elder basically seem to think that it was alright for Harley to commit suicide since he was unhappy, which is entirely the wrong message a book should be sending.

Overall I felt this book was not a developed as it should be, and didn’t deliver on the promise the cover and the description gave the reader. However, it was an enjoyable enough read as long as you don’t mind a few plot holes and a rather obvious mystery. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
If there were halves I would probably give this book the 3&1/2. I liked it, but it didn't reach where my 4's did. I liked the themes, and have enjoyed books that illustrate the pitfalls of power and leadership, but I found the story a little predictable and I wasn't in love with any of the characters. I was a bit distracted by the 1 year delay and the consciousness, from the beginning of the book until I realised it wasn't really relevant to the rest of the story. ( )
  Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |
Well written and an interesting concept with people "frozen" and put on a ship to another planet. Someone is unfreezing folks though...

I did have a huge problem with the rape scene and also the whole everyone being in "heat" at the same time like animals. While it was important to the story it was just too much for our kids so won't buy. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Dec 17, 2014 |
This is a young adult science fiction/dystopian book. I have been overloaded on dystopias over the last couple years and have stopped reading a lot of them. However, I really enjoyed this one. It was well written, engaging, and had a very intriguing premise. This is the first book in a trilogy, all of the books in the trilogy have been released.

Amy is seventeen years old and has decided to join her parents as cargo on the spaceship Godspeed. In three hundred years Godspeed is supposed to reach a new planet for humans to colonize. Many centuries have past and a sixteen year old boy known as Elder is being groomed to take over leadership of Godspeed from the Eldest. However when Amy is accidentally awoken early things change for both her and Elder. Whoever woke Amy was trying to kill her and she needs to figure who the potential murderer was. Amy and Elder struggle to unravel the secrets behind the society of Godspeed.

As with all young adult books there is a bit of a romance in here, but it definitely wasn't the driver for the story. The largest driver was the mystery behind how the society on the spaceship had developed into what it did and all the secrets surrounding that.

There is a lot of amazing world-building and some awesome plot twists in this book. It is a very engaging story and impossible to put down. The book is mainly a mystery with heavy sci-fi and thriller overtones.

Just watching what society aboard Godspeed has evolved into is fascinating. As the mystery unravels and you see why the society was structured this way the whole thing makes a sort of creepy and eerie sense.

Amy and Elder are both incredibly engaging characters. Amy is a normal 17 year old girl who is thrust into a position of being extraordinary just because of her status of being Earth-born. Elder has basically been brain-washed by Eldest from a young age and fights against everything he has ever known to make sense of the mysteries Amy uncovers.

The book was very well written, easy to read, and very engaging. It ends at a great spot and I am super curious to see how things play out in A Million Suns.

Overall a fantastic science fiction/dystopian/mystery. I really really enjoyed it a lot. I loved the world-building on Godspeed and the engaging characters. Highly recommend to fans of YA science fiction. I really enjoyed this book and will definitely continue reading the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 7, 2014 |

Beth Revisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ambrose, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvinen, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, CarlosNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."

Teenaged Amy, a cryogenically frozen passenger on the spaceship Godspeed, wakes up to discover that someone may have tried to murder her.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Across the Universe by Beth Revis was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,771,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible