Entwined by Heather Dixon

Entwined

by Heather Dixon

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (quigui)
    quigui: Both stories are re-tellings of the 12 Dancing Princesses, both equally sweet.
    Spindle's End by Robin McKinley (SunnySD)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (SunnySD)

A magical and fascinating retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses , this book captivated my attention from the beginning. The author's world building was astounding. I liked the way she did not explain everything out to the reader, rather stating facts and letting us draw our own conclusion. ( )
  JammiGo | Dec 7, 2016 |
This story is a retelling of the twelve dancing princesses.
  ashermak | Oct 24, 2016 |
I absolutely LOVED this book! I did not want it to ever end. The story of the Twelve Dancing Princesses is one of my favorite fairy tales, and I think that this book was a wonderful interpretation of the story. Captain Bradford ranks right up there with my favorite romantic heroes of all-time! I will definitely be recommending this book to everyone that asks for a good book! ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
I liked Azalea. She is a unique character to be created (at least as a main character) in this day and age. She's strong enough to cope with her mother's death, and being forced into a mother-like role, and comfort her sisters, yet weak enough to throw tantrums, actually be endangered by the villain, and need the help of other characters. To need the help of the male characters. I found the tantrums very annoying, so I didn't like that part of her, but I did like that she was vulnerable--something I haven't seen as much of lately. I don't have a problem with strong female leads, I actually do really like them, but not every woman is strong in the way this culture values, and it's nice to see another kind of character represented for once. Especially since people are offended when a woman is rescued by a man, but think it's the greatest thing when a man is rescued by a woman (why can't there be both).

That said, Azalea was strong in her own way, the way she cared for her sisters, and the way she was forced into the role her mother should have held. People forget or don't realize how much strength that would take. Even though she wasn't what is considered a 'strong female lead,' Azalea was a strong character. As I said before, Azalea's tantrums were the place where I think her character, as a character, suffered greatly. She was (understandably) upset with the way her father treated her, and more importantly, her sisters, but the tantrum she threw nearly got her entire family killed. If she hadn't sworn, and made her sisters swear, not to tell anyone about the pavilion, then they would have been able to tell their father the moment they realized that the Keeper was dangerous, but no, Azalea made them swear, on silver that just happens prevents them from breaking their oaths to spite for her father making her feel unloved. I'm not quite sure why she didn't try to put herself in her father's shoes to feel his pain, and realize that, wrong though it was, pushing his daughters away was how her father dealt with his grief.

The king was foolish enough as well. He, like Azalea, was guilty of not putting himself in his daughter's shoes to realize that they too were feeling the loss of their mother, and his pushing them away made them feel unloved.

Bramble and Clover were nice characters who weren't explored very deeply, and I had trouble keeping the rest of the sisters straight. Bramble and Clover's love interests were interesting, but their potential was left relatively unexplored. Bradford was a stereotype. This was disappointing, but I still liked him. He had so much unplumbed potential, and I think with a little more development he could have been a really strong and an un-stereotypical character.

The villain was creepy, mysterious and sinister. But then he stopped being mysterious, which sucked away his sinisterness, leaving him just creepy and evil. I wish that it would have taken a little longer for him to reveal his motivations to us.

The plot is excellent and the writing is good. What the author needs to work on is her characters. Please excuse that I am mostly pointing out the things I didn't like in the book. For some reason it's really easy to do that. I really did enjoy this story. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jun 1, 2016 |
I'm not big on fairytale reselling a, unless it's completely different in some odd way. But Dixon's Entwined was brilliantly written and engaging. It took a little while to get into but once I got into the story, I was entranced. The characters were delightful, I know if I had been a princess I would've been Bramble hands down. She was by far my favorite.

Overall, I throughly enjoyed Entwined and look forward to reading more of Heather Dixon's books ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |

Princess Azalea Wentworth of Eathesbury, a consummate dancer and the eldest of twelve lively girls, is left to lead her sisters through the year-long mourning ritual following Mother’s death. The death leaves the girls bereft; the King’s grief makes him distant and Royal Business (RB) sends him away to war. Mourning forbids color, laughter, dancing, courting, even stepping outside the once-devilishly-magicked castle’s walls--unless on RB--and the girls are trapped in a world dyed black. Feeling abandoned, the desolate girls escape to a magical space within the castle walls with the help of a silver-threaded handkerchief bestowed upon Azalea by her dying Mother. Although mourning forbids courting, the father advertises a puzzle to attract suitors (RB allowing this) and Azalea fears a loveless marriage arranged by Parliament. Thrilled by the attentions of the Keeper, the fearsome-yet-exciting master of their magical dancing space, Azalea flirts with ever-increasing danger while trying to protect her sisters. Dixon’s masterfully-woven tale of loss, intrigue, danger, magic, romance and relationships will appeal beyond science fiction circles.
added by kthomp25 | edit(VOYA, April 2011 (Vol. 34, No. 1)), Cynthia Winfield

An hour before Azalea's first ball began, she paced the ballroom floor, tracing her toes in a waltz.

Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it.

The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.

Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.

But there is a cost.

The Keeper likes to keep things.

Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.

Confined to their dreary castle while mourning their mother's death, Princess Azalea and her eleven sisters join The Keeper, who is trapped in a magic passageway, in a nightly dance that soon becomes nightmarish.

220 wanted1 pay6 pay

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible