Can't Wait To Get To Heaven by Fannie Flagg

Can't Wait To Get To Heaven (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Fannie Flagg

Member:bridgettebouse
Title:Can't Wait To Get To Heaven
Authors:Fannie Flagg
Info:Ballantine Books (2007), Edition: Later Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 359 pages

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (2006)

English (47)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (49)
I loved this book.I laughed my way through tis book. It shows us how living in a small town can be. The biggest mystery of this book was why Elner had a loaded pistol in her laundry basket-the reason will surprise you. ( )
  patmac131 | Mar 29, 2014 |
Octogenarian Elner Shimfissle is the glue that holds the tiny Missouri town of Elmwood Springs together. Of course, she doesn’t know that – and neither do the townspeople – until she falls out of her fig tree and winds up suspended between life and death in a Kansas City hospital.

Some of my favorite books and movies (Defending Your Life and Golfing with God come immediately to mind) center around the author’s concept of heaven. And what a heaven Fannie Flagg has conjured up!

This is the type of book for which it’s best not to give too much away – so I won’t. It’s a light-hearted romp that offers a visit to a place where most people are good-hearted (and those who aren’t can change) and readers know from page one that everything will work out just fine. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jul 31, 2013 |
Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Flannie Flagg was an amazing book about how one women's life can affect an entire community and help so many people! Elner Shimfissle is a very crazy and outgoing old women who brings light to almost every page of the book. her personality is so vibrant that you cant help but laugh along with her and the other characters on her adventure to Heaven and back. ( )
  Morgayne | Feb 7, 2013 |
Can't Wait to Get to Heaven is a book that was recommended to me by my mom. I know what you're all thinking, we probably don't have the same interest in books. After listening to her and giving it a try, I realized how similar our taste in books were.

This book was set up in a weird format yet I enjoyed it. It involved the death of a woman everybody loved dearly. By alternating chapters, one chapter would be from earth and how everyone was grieving about this woman, and the next chapter would be the woman who passed away up in heaving looking down on her friends and helping them get through everyday life. After reading this book it really made me think and believe in heaven and karma. Almost every action you make is reflected in your after life.

This story had a motif of letting go, on how people have to live life after they lose someone very close and important to them. I think the theme demonstrated in this story is very respectable and I'm sure it made other readers think about life and how they have to be good to earn good. Karma is also another theme I found.

I would recommend this book to anyone in their teens or above and that likes to read. At times the book got long and took some events and talked about it for along time and I would catch myself bored at some moments. Otherwise, it was a great story with a good lesson that really makes the reader "think."
  bridgettebouse | Jan 23, 2013 |
This is a great feel-good read. It tells the story of Elmer Shimfissle who lives in a small town in Missouri. The whole feel of the writing is very warm and sweet-natured. This is not the kind of thing I usually read but I found it really heart-warming. There are some really well-drawn characters and a lovely message. ( )
  cathymoore | Apr 27, 2012 |
There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
--Albert Einstein
To my good friend Peggy Hadley
After Elner Shimfissle accidentally poked that wasps' nest up in her fig tree, the last thing she remembered was thinking "Uh-oh."

Combining southern warmth with unabashed emotion and side-splitting hilarity, Fannie Flagg takes readers back to Elmwood Springs, Missouri, where the most unlikely and surprising experiences of a high-spirited octogenarian inspire a town to ponder the age-old question: Why are we here?

Life is the strangest thing. One minute, Mrs. Elner Shimfissle is up in her tree, picking figs, and the next thing she knows, she is off on an adventure she never dreamed of, running into people she never in a million years expected to meet. Meanwhile, back home, Elner’s nervous, high-strung niece Norma faints and winds up in bed with a cold rag on her head; Elner’s neighbor Verbena rushes immediately to the Bible; her truck driver friend, Luther Griggs, runs his eighteen-wheeler into a ditch–and the entire town is thrown for a loop and left wondering, “What is life all about, anyway?” Except for Tot Whooten, who owns Tot’s Tell It Like It Is Beauty Shop. Her main concern is that the end of the world might come before she can collect her social security.

In this comedy-mystery, those near and dear to Elner discover something wonderful: Heaven is actually right here, right now, with people you love, neighbors you help, friendships you keep. Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven is proof once more that Fannie Flagg “was put on this earth to write” (Southern Living), spinning tales as sweet and refreshing as iced tea on a summer day, with a little extra kick thrown in.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:48 -0400)

Back in Elmwood Springs, Missouri the experiences of a high-spirited octogenarian inspire a town to ask the question "Why are we here"?

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,657,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible