Can't Wait To Get To Heaven by Fannie Flagg

Can't Wait To Get To Heaven (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Fannie Flagg

Member:bridgettebouse
Title:Can't Wait To Get To Heaven
Authors:Fannie Flagg
Info:Ballantine Books (2007), Edition: Later Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 359 pages

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (2006)

English (51)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
While I am sure there are some that would find this disturbing with God having various "nameplates" and looking like a good friend of yours, I LOVED this vision of what heaven may indeed be like.
The various people's response to this sweet old lady dieing is exactly the way many of us want to be remembered....including the worry about dieing in that old tattered robe. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Sep 7, 2014 |
funny, touching, totally different kind of story. I really never knew what might happen next. ( )
  booksniff | Aug 20, 2014 |
I loved this book.I laughed my way through tis book. It shows us how living in a small town can be. The biggest mystery of this book was why Elner had a loaded pistol in her laundry basket-the reason will surprise you. ( )
  patmac131 | Mar 29, 2014 |
There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
--Albert Einstein
To my good friend Peggy Hadley
After Elner Shimfissle accidentally poked that wasps' nest up in her fig tree, the last thing she remembered was thinking "Uh-oh."

Combining southern warmth with unabashed emotion and side-splitting hilarity, Fannie Flagg takes readers back to Elmwood Springs, Missouri, where the most unlikely and surprising experiences of a high-spirited octogenarian inspire a town to ponder the age-old question: Why are we here?

Life is the strangest thing. One minute, Mrs. Elner Shimfissle is up in her tree, picking figs, and the next thing she knows, she is off on an adventure she never dreamed of, running into people she never in a million years expected to meet. Meanwhile, back home, Elner’s nervous, high-strung niece Norma faints and winds up in bed with a cold rag on her head; Elner’s neighbor Verbena rushes immediately to the Bible; her truck driver friend, Luther Griggs, runs his eighteen-wheeler into a ditch–and the entire town is thrown for a loop and left wondering, “What is life all about, anyway?” Except for Tot Whooten, who owns Tot’s Tell It Like It Is Beauty Shop. Her main concern is that the end of the world might come before she can collect her social security.

In this comedy-mystery, those near and dear to Elner discover something wonderful: Heaven is actually right here, right now, with people you love, neighbors you help, friendships you keep. Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven is proof once more that Fannie Flagg “was put on this earth to write” (Southern Living), spinning tales as sweet and refreshing as iced tea on a summer day, with a little extra kick thrown in.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:48 -0400)

Back in Elmwood Springs, Missouri the experiences of a high-spirited octogenarian inspire a town to ask the question "Why are we here"?

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible