Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave by…

Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave (edition 2010)

by Laban Carrick Hill, Bryan Collier (Illustrator)

Member:MFeil
Title:Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave
Authors:Laban Carrick Hill
Other authors:Bryan Collier (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Poetry book, Picture Book
Tags:poetry, slavery, artist, biography, pottery

Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave by Laban Carrick Hill

Dave, the potter, was an artist, a poet, and a slave. He mixes the clay until it is just right , throws it, spins it on his potter's wheel, and forms huge, beautiful pottery. He somberly thinks of his family as he works. As a last step, he signs his name, date, and a bit of poetry, sharing a bit of his reality and his thoughts as a slave.
  joycecafe | Jul 17, 2014 |
Dave was a slave an, artist, of potter, and a poet. He lived in South Carolina in the 1800’s. Dave would carve his poems into the pottery he made.
This was an inspiring book about a slave named Dave. The image are wonderful. On one pages Dave is standing in front of a tree. The tree has pictures of different people on it. I love how the illustration created this image, I am not sure if it a transfer or a collage piece. I love the information at the end of the book about Dave. He lived in South Carolina in the 1800’s as a salve.
I would have the student pick an artist from the 1800’s and do a presentation on them. I would have the students make pin-pot or vase out of clay to see how hard it is. I would also have them write a poem on the piece they made.
  embarnes | Jul 10, 2014 |
This is a beautifully written and illustrated book. It can be used as a read aloud or as part of a unit about the Civil War for older students. The artistry in the book is amazing.
  charlottestudent | Jun 8, 2014 |
Dave is a poet and artist. To everyone else the ground is dirt but to him it is art. He carved his poetry into his pottery.This is a very powerful true story and very informative. The illustrations are amazing especially the fold out page with a close up of his hands.I think the writing may be a little boring to children. I think this is more suitable for grades 3 and up. Such a beautiful book that I thoroughly enjoyed! ( )
  Imandayeh | Apr 24, 2014 |
read for weekly assignment.
Another true find this term, Hill has provided a great demonstration into the man and his craft. The visual presentations of the hand-made crafts and delicate use of color with selected text makes this book a must for today's classroom.
  cpwpsu | Mar 16, 2014 |
To us it is just dirt, the ground we walk on.

This book tells the story of Dave's life work; he was an artistic who made potter and wrote poetry in the 19th century.  His pottery represents Dave's perseverance through the struggle of slavery.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031610731X, Hardcover)

To us
it is just dirt,
the ground we walk on...
But to Dave
it was clay,
the plain and basic stuff
upon which he formed a life
as a slave nearly 200 years ago.

Dave was an extraordinary artist, poet, and potter living in South Carolina in the 1800s. He combined his superb artistry with deeply observant poetry, carved onto his pots, transcending the limitations he faced as a slave. In this inspiring and lyrical portrayal, National Book Award nominee Laban Carrick Hill's elegantly simple text and award-winning artist Bryan Collier's resplendent, earth-toned illustrations tell Dave's story, a story rich in history, hope, and long-lasting beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:59 -0400)

Chronicles the life of Dave, a nineteenth-century slave who went on to become an influential poet, artist, and potter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible