Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave by…

Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave (edition 2010)

by Laban Carrick Hill, Bryan Collier (Illustrator)

435None24,021 (4)9
Member:MFeil
Title:Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave
Authors:Laban Carrick Hill
Other authors:Bryan Collier (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Poetry book, Picture Book
Tags:poetry, slavery, artist, biography, pottery

Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave by Laban Carrick Hill

read for weekly assignment.
Another true find this term, Hill has provided a great demonstration into the man and his craft. The visual presentations of the hand-made crafts and delicate use of color with selected text makes this book a must for today's classroom.
  cpwpsu | Mar 16, 2014 |
A great piece of historical fiction about an interesting and unique African American.
  polochick | Mar 2, 2014 |
This is a beautifully illustrated picture book about a potter in the mid-1800's in South Carolina. Since this artist, some of whose work has survived to the present day, was also a slave, this deceptively simple book works on many levels. Young kids will enjoy hearing how the clay was shaped into pots; older kids will be fascinated by the life of an artist who wasn't permitted the dignity of his own last name. It would be a marvelous part of an art unit on pottery, or a history lesson on life before the Civil War. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
A thought-provoking poem with well-matched illustrations, this is a book worth reading. I, however, wanted to know more of the "story" of Dave. I wish the Author's Note had been prior to the poem. The illustrations really tell more of the "story." ( )
  mariekagreene | Feb 9, 2014 |
I am not capable of dealing with the whole verse non-fiction trend objectively, my dears. I don't get it, I never will! It's a factual book, it's SUPPOSED to give us details and context, not make us guess at meaning with metaphor, simile and generic imagery.

I had a much more enjoyable time reading the historical notes at the back of the book and looking at the one photo of Dave the Potter's actual work than I did reading the poem itself. The poem text is mostly about the process ANY potter uses to throw a jar...it barely mentions that Dave was a slave or that he wrote poems on his work. This is a fascinating, important artist and we don't really learn enough about him to appreciate that until the notes?

If I were in charge, the historical notes would be the book and the poem would be the note at the back. AFTER we've learned about him, THEN we can maybe appreciate the poetic homage, understanding more of what's between the lines. (Although even as a poem I'm not that excited about it...why compare Dave to a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat? That's so lazy. Give me a simile that would have made sense to Dave himself, please. Besides, a magician is all about trickery and deception; an artist is about truth.)

Collier's collages carry the book.

MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
To us it is just dirt, the ground we walk on.

This book tells the story of Dave's life work; he was an artistic who made potter and wrote poetry in the 19th century.  His pottery represents Dave's perseverance through the struggle of slavery.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031610731X, Hardcover)

To us
it is just dirt,
the ground we walk on...
But to Dave
it was clay,
the plain and basic stuff
upon which he formed a life
as a slave nearly 200 years ago.

Dave was an extraordinary artist, poet, and potter living in South Carolina in the 1800s. He combined his superb artistry with deeply observant poetry, carved onto his pots, transcending the limitations he faced as a slave. In this inspiring and lyrical portrayal, National Book Award nominee Laban Carrick Hill's elegantly simple text and award-winning artist Bryan Collier's resplendent, earth-toned illustrations tell Dave's story, a story rich in history, hope, and long-lasting beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:59 -0400)

Chronicles the life of Dave, a nineteenth-century slave who went on to become an influential poet, artist, and potter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible