Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave by…

Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave (edition 2010)

by Laban Carrick Hill, Bryan Collier (Illustrator)

Member:MFeil
Title:Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave
Authors:Laban Carrick Hill
Other authors:Bryan Collier (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Poetry book, Picture Book
Tags:poetry, slavery, artist, biography, pottery

Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave by Laban Carrick Hill

Dave was living in South Carolina in the 1800s, he was a potter and a poet. He made amazing works of art which helped him deal with the struggles of slavery. ( )
  acbanis | Aug 14, 2014 |
I wanted more information from this book. The authors notes give the real meat behind the story and i wish this was more interwoven into the story so it would be easier for young readers to access. the art is beautiful though and certainly a worthy read.
  abigail.shafer | Aug 14, 2014 |
This book is a poetic and informative book that gives a little glimpse into the life and work of Dave, a slave who made beautiful pottery that was engraved with poems. This book was very beautiful and I think a very interesting choice for a subject of book. It really has a lot of value in the classroom, specifically relating to the subject of American Slavery. It provides a very unique and different perspective of slavery that isn't always found in text books.
  qrennaker | Aug 12, 2014 |
Dave, the potter, was an artist, a poet, and a slave. He mixes the clay until it is just right , throws it, spins it on his potter's wheel, and forms huge, beautiful pottery. He somberly thinks of his family as he works. As a last step, he signs his name, date, and a bit of poetry, sharing a bit of his reality and his thoughts as a slave.
  joycecafe | Jul 17, 2014 |
Dave was a slave an, artist, of potter, and a poet. He lived in South Carolina in the 1800’s. Dave would carve his poems into the pottery he made.
This was an inspiring book about a slave named Dave. The image are wonderful. On one pages Dave is standing in front of a tree. The tree has pictures of different people on it. I love how the illustration created this image, I am not sure if it a transfer or a collage piece. I love the information at the end of the book about Dave. He lived in South Carolina in the 1800’s as a salve.
I would have the student pick an artist from the 1800’s and do a presentation on them. I would have the students make pin-pot or vase out of clay to see how hard it is. I would also have them write a poem on the piece they made.
  embarnes | Jul 10, 2014 |
To us it is just dirt, the ground we walk on.

This book tells the story of Dave's life work; he was an artistic who made potter and wrote poetry in the 19th century.  His pottery represents Dave's perseverance through the struggle of slavery.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031610731X, Hardcover)

To us
it is just dirt,
the ground we walk on...
But to Dave
it was clay,
the plain and basic stuff
upon which he formed a life
as a slave nearly 200 years ago.

Dave was an extraordinary artist, poet, and potter living in South Carolina in the 1800s. He combined his superb artistry with deeply observant poetry, carved onto his pots, transcending the limitations he faced as a slave. In this inspiring and lyrical portrayal, National Book Award nominee Laban Carrick Hill's elegantly simple text and award-winning artist Bryan Collier's resplendent, earth-toned illustrations tell Dave's story, a story rich in history, hope, and long-lasting beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:59 -0400)

Chronicles the life of Dave, a nineteenth-century slave who went on to become an influential poet, artist, and potter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,667,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible