The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party by…

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party

by Alexander McCall Smith

Recently added bymattmcl, tldegray, LisCarey, JanetNoRules, private library, nrdowner, Glacierhills1200

This is our latest visit with the ladies of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency and their family and friends. After many months, epic bride price negotiations with Grace's greedy uncle, and the trauma of Phuti's loss of a foot in a previous book, Grace Makutsi and Phuti Radiphuti are at last making the final preparations for their wedding day. And Grace is starting to realize how her life will change, when she is married to this man whom she loves and who loves her--and who is wealthy enough that money will never again be a reason not to do something they really want to do.

Meanwhile, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni's apprentice, Charlie, has run away, fleeing pressure to marry a girlfriend who has given birth to twins. Mma Ramotswe has a client concerned about two of his cows being killed--a client who is not all that he appears to be, nor is the case of the dead cows. And both Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi keep seeing Mma Ramotswe's old, tiny, white van, sold for scrap and parts months ago. Can cars have ghosts?

These are rich, wonderful, engaging characters, familiar friends that it's fun to spend time with. They continue to grow--but not too fast! They keep coming back to us in gentle, engaging stories, and this one is no exception.

Recommended.

I borrowed this book from my local library.

Read more of my reviews at my blog, Lis Carey's Library. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
So nice to be back with Mma Ramotswe & her gentle, thoughtful view of reality. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
In this twelfth installment of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, the ladies investigate a case of cattle mutilation. Meanwhile, Grace Makutsi plans her wedding, Charlie the apprentice seems to have gotten himself into a difficult spot, and Precious Ramotswe is haunted by the ghost of her little white van.

These books always make me feel warm and fuzzy, uplifted and happy, even though they never deny or look away from the sadder and darker aspects of life. This one, if anything, made me feel that even more than most of them. It's like a comforting, friendly hug of a book. And though the plots are never the truly important thing in these novels, I found the main detective case this time genuinely pretty interesting. ( )
  bragan | Feb 17, 2018 |
Another delightful episode, filled with sigh-inducing events for some repeat characters. I like how the characters have fully developed and a visit to Precious Ramotswe's Botswana is like a return visit to a favorite town/village. The fact that I could totally see the "shoe catastrophy" coming - and groaned at some of Charlie's cringe-worthy statements - is what makes these stories such a fun read. ( )
  lkernagh | Dec 8, 2017 |
Precious Ramotswe is again faced with some difficult cases in this the 12th edition in the series. One farmer asks her find out who is killing his cows while her husband's apprentice Charlie is avoiding his responsibility of providing for the twin girls he has fathered. Her assistant Grace Makutsi's wedding is fast approaching and there are the usual complications. Precious sees her old white van on the street and searches for it and wants to buy it back. Will she be successful if finding it?

As in the other novels in this series, we learn a great deal about Botswana and its culture. ( )
  lamour | Oct 10, 2017 |
Nothing very mysterious here, of course, but the solution to the problem of those dead cattle is wonderfully inconclusive, and you’ll never get through the wedding with dry eyes.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 15, 2011)

This book is for Professor Max Essex of the Harvard AIDS
Initiative, in admiration of the work that he has done.
Mma Ramotswe had by no means forgotten her late white van.
Taking her old shoes out of the box into which Paticia had tucked them, she slipped them back on her feet and continued on her way to the Tlokweng Road. One or two people had witnessed the tragedy, or at least had seen part of it: a young man passing by, a boy on a bicycle, an old man standing in the shade of a tree. But they had only seen a woman racing after a white van and then stumbling; they had seen her bend down and change her footwear before walking off towards the main road. So might we fail to see the real sadness that lies behind the acts of others; so might we look at one of our fellow men going about his business and not know of the sorrow that he is feeling, the effort that he is making, the things he has lost.
Such men who put women down were really rather weak themselves, building themselves up by belittling women. A truly strong man would never want that.
[S]he wanted to leave the house; she wanted to be away from this silly young woman with her casual ways and her utter indifference. How could anybody be so bored with life, she wondered, when all about one there were all these things happening?
The old days: people sometimes laughed at those who talked about the old days, but Mma Ramotswe was not one of them. She knew that all of us, even the youngest, had some old days to remember. Children of ten remember how it was when they were five, just as men and women of fifty remember the way things were when they were twenty; and if those distant pasts are coated with sweetness and longing, then that might be because people indeed felt happier then.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030737839X, Hardcover)

THE NO. 1 LADIES’ DETECTIVE AGENCY - Book 12

Fans around the world adore the bestselling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, the basis of the HBO TV show, and its proprietor Precious Ramotswe, Botswana’s premier lady detective.  In this charming series, Mma  Ramotswe navigates her cases and her personal life with wisdom, and good humor—not to mention help from her loyal assistant, Grace Makutsi, and the occasional cup of tea.

At a remote cattle post south of Gaborone two cows have been killed, and Precious Ramotswe, Botswana’s No. 1 Lady Detective, is asked to investigate by a rather frightened and furtive gentleman. It is an intriguing problem with plenty of suspects—including, surprisingly, her own client.

To complicate matters, Mma Ramotswe is haunted by a vision of her dear old white van, and Grace Makutsi witnesses it as well. Is it the ghost of her old friend, or has it risen from the junkyard?  In the meantime, one of Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni’s apprentices may have gotten a girl pregnant and, under pressure to marry her, has run away. Naturally, it is up to Precious to help sort things out. Add to the mix Violet Sephotho’s newly launched run for the Botswana Parliament and a pair of perfect wedding shoes—will wedding bells finally ring for Phuti Radiphuti and Grace Makutsi?—and we have a charming and delightful tale in the inimitable style of Alexander McCall Smith.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:06 -0400)

Hoping to reclaim a van that was featured in a possible prophetic dream, Precious and Grace find themselves helping an apprentice of Phuti Radiphuti, investigating a cattle poisoning, and considering Grace's possible marriage to Phuti.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,019,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible