Beauty and the Feast by Julia Barrett

Beauty and the Feast (edition 2011)

by Julia Barrett

Member:Kodibear
Title:Beauty and the Feast
Authors:Julia Barrett
Info:Resplendence Publishing, LLC (2011), Paperback, 332 pages
Collections:E-book, Read, Borrowed Books
Tags:Kindle, Fiction, Caterers

Beauty and the Feast by Julia Barrett

Meh. More a 2.5 than a full 3.
The writing was fine. I really wanted to enjoy it.
But everybody was too perfect or too evil or too good looking or too hot or too unaware of how fabulous they are or too smart. Too too too.

I will say that the opening scene almost made me DNF it at that point. As the mother of a 21-year-old man, if I found he acted at 18 as the 18-year-old did in this story, he would have found his butt in a sexual awareness/sensitivity class before he knew what hit him.

This book read very much like a '90s genre with lots of hot sex, but not really that much hot sex. It seemed like it really wanted to be an erotic novel, but then it just couldn't go there.

But the foodie in my appreciated that the chef career wasn't just a "currently hot job" choice for the author. Lots of food talk, lots of food for thought. I enjoyed those parts very much. Looking at all the highlights for the food talk, I wasn't the only one that enjoyed those passages. The author really appreciates food and talked about it eloquently.

I was having issues with the book all the way through it, but then at the very end there was a scene between two women that just pushed me over the edge into WTH, and not in a good way. But took me totally out of the book.

There seemed to be a number of substory wannabes that never materialized, an unknown half brother, a evil ex-almost girlfriend who all of a sudden became relatable, a PI who violates client confidentiality to "save the day." Maybe it was just me, but I kept smelling sequel bait.

I will say the author hit one of my pet peeves many times. There were a few editing issues, some missed words, questionable punctuation. BUT she consistently and incorrectly used the wrong form for plural possessive family names. The heroine worked in the White's house, she cooked the White's dinner. Makes me bonkers. If there were just one person in the White family living in that house, that would be fine. But that is not the situation. Yeah, I know, not that big of a deal to most. To me, it can totally take me out of the story, get up on my soapbox, drill the kids to reassure they know the right way, and then huff and puff a while to vent. ( )
  paideiamom | Sep 22, 2013 |
The descriptions of the food in this book are marvellous. They are numerous as well. The novel even has some pages at the end giving you some recipes. The effect of all this talking of food will make your mouth water. It is done so sensually detailed that it becomes an erotic element in itself.
Maybe not surprising as a possibility if you ever watched one of Nigella Lawson's tv cooking shows, especially when she starts to talk about chocolate.

The romance part of the novel is rather less interesting imo and the reason this turned out a did-not-finish for me. ( )
  Bluerabella | Jun 30, 2013 |
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway and I'm so happy I did. This book is a great romance book like any other, sexy and witty characters, and very descriptive love scenes. This is also the first romance I've read that's not paranormal and I enjoyed the reading though I wish it had been longer and I could have gotten to know the characters a little more since I had fallen in love with them from the very beginning. I really liked some of the recipes that the author talks about placed at the end of the story for the readers to enjoy. Over all I liked the book and I will be reading other books from Julia Barrett. I Can't wait. ( )
  alicensweetbottom | Apr 22, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible