The Cat, the Lady and the Liar by Leann…

The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (edition 2011)

by Leann Sweeney

Member:comfy_corner
Title:The Cat, the Lady and the Liar
Authors:Leann Sweeney
Info:Signet (no date), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Sweeney - Cats in Trouble Mystery BOOK 3

The Cat, the Lady and the Liar by Leann Sweeney

I am a cat lady, so I am truly enjoying this series. I love it how Jillian's cats *help* her solve mysteries.
Jillian is asked to go to the home of a very rich lady, Ritaestelle Longworth, to report to her that she has Ritaestelle's cat. When she arrives, she is told that Ms. Longworth is not seeing anyone. There is a commotion upstairs and Jillian being just a tad nosy goes up the stairs to see what the commotion was all about. She briefly sees Ms. Longworth but is hurriedly ushered out the door.
In the middle of the night Ritaestelle finds Jillian and comes knocking on her door. That same evening a body is found by the lake by Jillian's house. Ritaestelle is found nearby and she is soon # suspect, but Jillian can not believe that this older lady could commit this murder.
It took Jillian, Tom (Jillian's close friend) and her cop friend Candace to figure out the real murderer and to save Ritaestelle's life ( )
  travelgal | Jan 19, 2019 |
Jillian Hart is at it again! There is a cat in trouble and she must help out. A gorgeous stray cat has been found by the local animal shelter and Jillian has agreed to help track down the owner, who happens to be none other than Ritaestelle Longworth, the fabulously wealthy owner of a large estate in a neighboring town. Rumor has it that there is something wrong with Ritaestelle and her family claims she's been stealing form stores around town. Ritaestelle claims someone has been drugging her and spreading lies. Before Jillian can get to the bottom of things a body turns up in the lake behind Jillian's house with none other than Ritaestelle standing nearby.

The Cat, the Lady and the Liar is the third in Leann Sweeney's Cat's in Trouble series. I am absolutely loving these cozy mysteries. The characters have grown on me to the point I feel like I'm visiting old friends. Jillian is back along with her best friend Deputy Candice Carson, step daughter Kara and new boyfriend/PI Tom Stewart. We are also introduced to the Longworth family and in the next town over. What a group of characters! It is unfortunate and completely believable that a group of people would behave so badly to towards their benefactor. Leann Sweeney knows her cats! Jillian's cats contributed greatly to the story, helping to provide clues without being overly obvious.

The mystery is well done, lots of clues and small town gossip, with nice little twists and a misdirection that kept me guessing almost to the end. It was a satisfying read. ( )
  Narilka | Mar 11, 2017 |
When middle-aged widow Jillian Hart does a favor for a friend who runs a shelter for rescued cats, little does she know that she will be risking her life and that of her beloved cats. After an unsuccessful attempt to see the owner of cat, Isis, that her friend is sheltering, Jillian finds the woman, Ritaestelle Longworth, on her doorstep – in a bathrobe. What follows is the discovery of a dead woman – an assistant to Ms. Longworth – in the lake outside Jillian’s home in Mercy, South Carolina. And there’s blood all over Ritaestelle’s bathrobe.

Jillian doesn’t believe for a minute that the elderly woman killed anyone, but her situation looks plenty suspicious. Plus, Jillian has been warned to stay out of Woodcrest, by no less than the town’s police chief.

Nevertheless, Jillian winds up allowing Ritaestelle to stay in her home, along with her spoiled-rotten cat. Then her houseguest asks Jillian and her PI beau Tom to investigate what’s been going on, figure out why someone seems to be setting her up for a murder rap. As it turns out, she has a whole houseful of relatives mooching off the wealthy Ms. Longworth. Might they be trying to have Ritaestelle declared incompetent so they can have access to her money?

This makes for a sweet story, typically cozy, with a terrific heroine. I figured out who the baddie was about a third of the way through the book, but that didn’t stop me from finishing this delightful read. ( )
  NewsieQ | Sep 27, 2015 |
Jillian has to gather all her wits about her and use her feline intuition to know whom to believe in this tale. A wealthy aristocrat is said to be losing her mind, or maybe, her relatives are just making it seem that way. Did she really throw her beloved cat outdoors to fend for herself and then claim she didn’t? Is that wild talk indicative of her condition or is she really being drugged? It’s up to Jillian to sort it all out and protect both cat and owner from harm. You’ll want to cuddle up to this cat cozy and not miss a word of this intriguing mystery. ( )
  Maydacat | Jun 1, 2012 |
Once again, Jillian Hart is dealing with a dead body, a cat, and a handful of interesting characters. This time, the dead body is in her backyard, but she's not a suspect. Instead, the main suspect is staying as a guest in her house while she solves this mystery.

The new characters are much more interesting than in the previous book -- Ritaestella Longworth is so precious! Several of the other characters are very well written to the point I would to slap them! The cat involvement is also better, although there could be more.

My biggest complaint (other than needing more cat scenes) is that I did figure out who the killer was about half way through the book. The characters were entertaining enough and I wanted to be sure I was right, so I had no problem finishing the book. I just like my mysteries to be mysteries until the very end.

Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot and am looking forward to the fourth in this series. While this book will never win a literary prize, it is a good read for a light mystery with cats. ( )
  LMHTWB | Feb 19, 2012 |
In ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this. - Unknown
This book is for three dear friends whom I have come to love: Kay, Lorraine, and Jennifer. Thanks for everything.
I try not to lie. Honest.

"When cat quilter Jillian Hart tracks down the owner of a gorgeous stray cat, the trail leads her to none other than fabulously wealthy, undeniably quirky Ritaestelle Longworth. The gossips in town are questioning Ritaestelle's sanity, and the high-society grande dame isn't helping matters with her wild accusations that someone is drugging her to keep her away from her beloved cat. Before Jillian can get to the bottom of Ritaestelle's charges, a body turns up in the lake behind her house--and her cat Chablis discovers Ritaestelle standing nearby. Can Jillian's three wise cats aid her in solving a mystery with roots that are decades old? Jillian knows from experience that to find the purr-petrator, she'll have to prick up her ears and follow the paw prints straight to a killer..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Leann Sweeney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,134,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible