Therefore, Repent! by Jim Munroe

Therefore, Repent!

by Jim Munroe, Salgood Sam (Illustrator)

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
After the Rapture, magic begins working. But at what cost?

Why I picked it up: I've liked earlier Jim Munro books, although I abandoned "Opening Act of Unspeakable Evil," which this follows on.

Why I finished it: It's short. The art is OK, although shrunk down to the point that I occasionally had trouble when the storytelling relied on visuals. There's a "shaggy dog" element to the story that's worth hanging in there for.

I'd give it to: Fans of The Griff. This was similarly apocalyptic, relationship-obsessed, visually cluttered, and disappointing (to me). ( )
  yarmando | May 4, 2012 |
An interesting take on The Rapture, where angels are entirely to be feared, talking dogs are more sinister than expected, and costumes are hard to remove. ( )
1 vote francescadefreitas | Oct 28, 2010 |
Graphic Novel with art by Salgood Sam. This was released as a free download to whet appetites for the follow up Sword of My Mouth. The art is dark, in pencil sketch style and suits the theme. The story itself seems to stagger around a bit and I'm hoping it's mostly setup for Sword of My Mouth, it has a lot of good ideas but doesn't quite tell a story so much as present a series of scenes.

Post Rapture! It seems the Christians were right; an un-numbered amount of people floated off into the sky leaving behind the unwashed immoral majority. There are 'splitters' who believe they can repent and still be saved, a couple dressed as a Mummy and a Bird-woman, military angels around to mop up the worst of the unbelievers and a talking dog.
  Black_samvara | Jun 21, 2010 |
A graphic novel about a post-rapture world full of strange sorts of magic and armies of angels. It is available as a free pdf download. Nice artwork, interesting fast-paced stories, and a few twists and turns made this a quick way to pass a few hours. ( )
2 vote janemarieprice | May 17, 2010 |
Set in post-Rapture Chicago, the visual spaces depicted here are true to the city as I know it. (The use of the el system is a fun example.) Twist: the elect seemingly have become a paramilitary / peacekeeping force in the form of an army of angels, of questionable morality overall, while those left behind are most recognisably "like us", though ... not physically. Magic / demonic mutations appear to work, though no-one is quite sure why, or when, or by what rules.

The plot is driven by Raven and Mummy, a couple who are going through a rough patch, relationship-wise. The backstory of the Rapture is divulged as we go rather than in one big exposition: it's revealed in natural conversations between various characters, not a forced situation where someone "explains" to another character with the real point to fill in the reader.

The writing is humourous and doesn't spell everything out, the reader is left to make connections between various scenes. I made some of them a day later, thinking about the novel as I ran errands. For example, a drunk is encountered on the street by two characters, and subsequently found dead, but in a still later scene is walking around with characters who apparently never knew he was dead. Two angels separately talk about some of those left behind learning about the "three day rule". I like this piecewise telling of the story.

The novel closes on a cliffhanger which reveals just enough to make for a satisfying conclusion, while setting the stage (inevitably) for the sequel, in which presumably occurs the real battle between those left behind and those pesky angels.

I'll be looking out for the next volume. More precisely, the sequel appeared first in comic book installments, but typically I wait for the compendium in trade paper / hardback format. The sequel appears to be set in Detroit, not Chicago.

2016 RE-READING
A strong element of satire, taking Christian millenarianism literally and wondering: what next? Munroe sends up the idea of the Rapture in supposing the 'good guys' are found among those left behind, not those taken. Primarily, though, the story takes off from this premise and concerns itself with a character-driven plot centered on relationships and finding one’s way in a challenging environment. The theology is the basis of the setting, not the focus of the story. ( )
  elenchus | May 9, 2010 |

Jim Munroeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sam, SalgoodIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,697,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible