Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House by…

Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House

by Stephanie Barron

I'll admit it. I groaned a little to myself when I read the book sleeve's description of Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House. Royal Navy? Yuck. Murder on the high seas? Blech. I was fully prepared to dislike the book on the whole and have to force myself to trudge through it's nearly 300 pages.

But . . . I was wrong. The book was fast-paced and so not over my head with naval details, terms and settings. Furthermore, for the first time in reading Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen mystery series, I was only one person away from uncovering the true culprit! (Trust me, I'm usually WAY off the mark!)

This sixth entry in the series is set in Southampton and finds Jane, Mrs. Austen and Frank & Mary Austen (Jane's brother and sister-in-law) in temporary lodgings while their new home in Castle Square is being finished. The mystery involves a close friend of Frank's, Thomas Seagrave, who has been accused of murder at sea. Frank refuses to believe that his friend could have committed the crime and Jane eagerly volunteers to help him smoke out the true murderer. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
I'd read the print version years ago, long enough that I'd forgotten who was the killer. Ms. Reading's narration was very suitable to the text. I hope my local library buys more audio editions of this enjoyable series. ( )
  JalenV | Oct 31, 2013 |
I thought the Jane series had gotten tired, but I quite enjoyed this one. Perhaps I merely needed a vacation from them.Plot wandered - my patience for plot twists and red herrings in mysteries is not infinite - but characters and period details more than compensated. ( )
  krisiti | Jul 1, 2009 |
This series gets better and better! This book is set in Southampton in late February of 1807. There's a lot about the Roayl navy and navy life in general at this time in England's history. There is also a lot of murder, mayhem, skullduggery, spying, all fueled by greed. Jane and her brother Frank are trying to save the life of a sea captain who has been charged with war crimes at sea. He is accused of killing the captain of an enemy ship after the surrender flag had gone up. Frank knows that Captain Seagrave could not have done this deed, but as he and Jane try to determine who did, they run across a cruel and evil plot which places Captain Seagrave right in the middle of the scheme, and it's going to be difficult to prove his innocence. Jane and Frank also stumble on a French spy who spies for England. As the plot unfolds, it endangers the life of this French prisoner. This book is engrossing and it also full of surprises. It sure kept me interested anyway!! ( )
  Romonko | May 7, 2009 |
I loved the atmosphere in this novel, as well as the action and the introduction of Jane's brother, Frank (and family). The mystery seemed convoluted to me - and never satisfactorily tied all the ends together. Also - I missed the 'Gentleman Rogue' (thought I guess he can't be in EVERY novel!) ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 5, 2009 |
Louisa . . . burst forth into raptures of admiration and delight
on the character of the navy-their friendliness, their brotherli-
ness, their openness, their uprightness; protesting that she was
convinced of sailors having more worth and warmth than any
other set of men in England; that they only knew how to live,
and the only deserved to be respected and loved.

-Jane Austen,Persuasion,
The Oxford Illustrated Edition, page 99
This book is dedicated with love to my uncle,
Charles Cornelius Sibre,
A Heart of Oak
Who has sailed many a voyage with Nelson's Navy
From the comfort of his armchair
Had I suffered the misfortune to be born a man, I should have torn myself early from the affections of my family and all the comforts of home, and thrown my fate upon the mercy of the seas.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553578405, Mass Market Paperback)

The acute powers of observation that marked Jane Austen's brilliant authorial career serve her equally well as a sleuth, as Barron's popular series has demonstrated in five earlier outings. Here, Barron uses Austen's well- documented interest in the Royal Navy as the linchpin of the plot. Jane's brother Frank, an officer who served under Nelson at Trafalgar, can't believe that his friend Tom Seagrave, commanding officer of the Stella Maris, killed the captain of the French frigate Manon moments after he'd surrendered his ship to Seagrave, despite the testimony of a junior officer. Ministering to the French prisoners of war housed at the Wool House of the title, Jane soon discovers another witness to the incident, a dashing and romantic surgeon whose account might save Seagrave from the gallows. As usual, Barron evokes the social, domestic, and cultural scene of England in the glory days of the empire with the wit, charm, and verve that mark her heroine's literary legacy. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:35 -0400)

Jane investigates the murder of a French captain, when a friend of her brother Frank's is arrested for the crime.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,665,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible