Sketch me if you can (Nook) Version by…

Sketch me if you can (Nook) Version (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Sharon B. Pape

Title:Sketch me if you can (Nook) Version
Authors:Sharon B. Pape
Info:New York : Berkley Publishing Group, 2010.
Collections:OWNED, READ
Tags:COZY MYSTERY, ^2012, firsts2012, Nook

Sketch Me If You Can by Sharon Pape (2010)

Only got through about half of this book and giving up. I couldn't get into it, didn't relate to or particularly like the characters and I could care less whodunit. ( )
  TeeMc | Mar 11, 2016 |
For what it was I enjoyed this book, I have sort of a love hate relationship with cozy mysteries, I enjoy them but they drive me nuts with the usually stupid ways they get their fledgling investigators involved in solving the crime and the stupid decisions everyone has to make to make this premise work.

This one had a very good way to get the main character involved in the crime and unusually the crime solving itself was the main focus of the book, but the author still had her doing cringe inducing things (such as not calling the cops when a detective of all people would know better) to keep the plot going but I'm hoping future books can avoid, or at least they wont feel as annoying since it would make more sense with the direction the book went.

I did really enjoy the characters of Rory McCain and Marshal Ezekiel Drummond and I found their approach to his status as a ghost believable within the framework of the story and I feel I will enjoy reading more about them and watching their partnership grow.

Overall it was a decent mystery, the characters were well rounded and I cared about them and I am looking forward to reading more. ( )
  Kellswitch | Dec 23, 2012 |
Rory McCain, a police sketch artist, has inherited her uncle's PI agency and his renovated home. When she moves in, she is also presented with the resident ghost, Zeke Drummond who insists that he help her when she decides to work on one of the cases that was left open by her uncle's sudden death.

This was a great start for a new cozy mystery series - the two major characters are well-written and the story had the clues interwoven quite cleverly. Definitely looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  cyderry | Nov 20, 2012 |
First Line: It was over in less than three minutes.

After her favorite uncle's death, police sketch artist Rory McCain discovers that there was much more to the man than met the eye. Rory inherited his private detective business and decided to contact everyone on his client list to settle all the accounts.

However, when she moved into his beautiful old Victorian house, she discovered that Uncle Mac had a business partner-- a federal marshall named Ezekiel (Zeke) Drummond. Trouble is, Zeke was a marshall back in the Arizona Territory in the 1870s, and he had the misfortune to be murdered in Uncle Mac's... make that Rory's... house on Long Island. Zeke's not going anywhere until he finds his killer either.

Rory's still trying to decide if she's lost all her marbles when she's drawn into one of Uncle Mac's unsolved cases. As she's drawn in deeper, she realizes that she needs the help of an experienced investigator. Zeke applies for the position, but Rory's having none of that-- until a killer on the loose changes her mind.

Rory McCain is a very impulsive and very stubborn character. Zeke Drummond may be old-fashioned, cantankerous and sexist, but he also has a good sense of humor and has a steadying influence on her. Pape gives us just enough of Zeke's story to get us hooked and looking forward to more.

There's a heaping helping of humor in Sketch Me If You Can, and I found myself smiling and laughing out loud several times, as when Rory is confronted with her ghostly housemate and wonders why there aren't books like Living With a Ghost for Dummies or Chicken Soup for the Haunted House Owner. My favorite scene, however, was when Rory asked her parents and her aunt to help her investigate the scene of the crime. I hope she asks them for help again because they made quite the team!

Although it wasn't difficult to deduce the killer's identity, and I felt the cast of secondary characters outside of Rory's family needed a bit of fleshing out, I found Sketch Me If You Can to be very entertaining, and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  cathyskye | Oct 18, 2011 |
For Jason and Lauren, children of my heart and soul, this child of my mind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425236048, Mass Market Paperback)

She's a police sketch artist. He's a dead lawman. Together, they put a face on murder.

When her uncle dies, police sketch artist Rory McCain get's a list of clients from his private detective business and a beautiful, old house with a ghostly inhabitant: Federal Marshal Ezekiel Drummond, aka Zeke.

Having a ghost as a housemate is bad enough, but as Rory's drawn into one of her uncle's unsolved cases and faces a cold-blooded killer, she may need the marshal's supernatural help to stay alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:19 -0400)

When Rory's favorite uncle dies, he bequeaths to his niece a beautiful Victorian home and a list of clients from his detective business. With the house comes the ghost of a federal marshal who was killed in the 1870s. The ghost had been helping Rory's uncle in his detective business in exchange for finding the identity of the marshal's killer. Now the ghost would like to continue working with Rory.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,703,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible