Winter in Madrid by C. J. Sansom

Winter in Madrid (original 2006; edition 2009)

by C. J. Sansom (Author)

Member:pmorris
Title:Winter in Madrid
Authors:C. J. Sansom (Author)
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2009), eBook

Winter in Madrid by C. J. Sansom (2006)

1930s (9) 1940s (7) 20th century (13) British (7) Civil War (18) crime (8) England (16) espionage (40) fiction (195) historical (27) historical fiction (83) historical novel (7) history (14) Kindle (11) love (9) Madrid (38) mystery (28) novel (29) read (17) Roman (8) romance (7) skönlitteratur (6) Spain (133) Spanish Civil War (93) spy (19) thriller (27) to-read (48) unread (13) war (21) WWII (60)
    Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell (BIzard)
    Guernica by Dave Boling (LynnB)
    LynnB: Set in the same time period, this book tells the story of the Basque people of northern Spain.
    To serve them all my days by R. F. Delderfield (Anonymous user)

English (42)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (53)
Very personal for me as my dad was an international brigader. I've always understood why he did not want to share his experiences with his family. After reading this I feel I understand that even more. It is fiction but really makes you feel engaged with the people, place and times. A very good book. I think I would have loved reading it almost as much without the personal interest, and a good window on how deeply different Spain is from Britain, and how much suffering there has been for so many. A great addition to my Madrid theme - thanks susanne for recommending it. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
The kind of book that makes you want to shout at the author at he end, "No! You've got it wrong. That's not what happened. What happened was..."

So my ending is: Barbara shoots Sandy to protect Bernie. Luckily no one hears this... Sofia is shot, but the rest of them get away. Harry doesn't try to strangle Hoare; instead Harry, Barbara and Bernie are sent home and Hoare raises a stink about the camps with Franco. Harry back in Britain, campaigns about the camps and Bernie and Barbara live happily ever after. Paco and Sofia's brother still go to the south of Spain.

It was very Robert Goddard in style and tone. An interesting story. ( )
  rhiand | Apr 28, 2014 |
Wow! I loved it. I don't know how to classify this book. I've heard spy thriller..no. But, just fiction I think. It really gives you a sense of living in Madrid during the time of Franco. The characters were so completely drawn you really, really felt like you knew them. I'm not sure I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a bit slower, until the last few chapters. Really loved it. ( )
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
I should start by saying I LOVE the Shardlake mystery series...but this book took me a long time to read. If you are the type of reader that gives a book 50 pages before giving up....you probably won't finish this book. It was only my admiration for the Shardlake series that kept me going.

The book is like a "Simon Says" game. You are constantly flashing forward and then back...every character is like this...at times you are not sure what time frame you are in. It is frankly annoying but if you suffer through this first half of the book you will understand the characters and their motivations...but I would have preferred a more linear novel frankly.

The subject is quite depressing for the most part with only the last 100 pages being anything of a page turner.

You follow the life of Harry Brett, a survivor of Dunkirk, who is recruited as a spy and assigned as a translator in the English embassy in Madrid. His assignment involves spying on a former schoolmate, Sandy, who is working on a gold mining project which if successful will help Spain but hurt England's war effort. There is another parallel story of another school chum, Bernie whom you don't know if he is alive and captured during the Spanish civil war. These two stories eventually tie together.

I am glad I read the book but I did not enjoy the read until the last 150 pages. It is a depressing read of a depressing time. ( )
  Lynxear | Oct 7, 2013 |
A best seller in Britain, “Winter in Madrid” prompted some reviewers there to compare Sansom to Graham Greene, Sebastian Faulks and even Hemingway, but I came away less convinced. The idea of transferring public school rivalries to a real battleground is certainly clever, but more introspection would have been welcome. Without the compensation of rich language, the novel’s formulaic structure becomes all too visible. True, Sansom has come up with a surprise ending, but that’s what you expect of a thriller. The problem is that there aren’t enough thrills in the chapters leading up to it.

It's always a risky strategy for an author to change horses in midstream. If you have enjoyed the critical (and commercial) success that C J Sansom has had with his elegantly written Tudor crime novels, why test the loyalty of your readership by delivering a literary saga set in Spain at the end of the Civil War? Yet if this radical change of direction loses readers, that will be a great shame. Sansom establishes that he is as much a master of this era as of that of Henry VIII.
added by starfishian | editThe Independent (Jun 19, 2006)

To the memory of the thousands of children of Republican parents who disappeared into the orphanages of Franco's Spain
Bernie had lain at the foot of the knoll for hours, half-conscious.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0330411985, Paperback)

trade edition paperback, fine

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:33 -0400)

Part thriller, part love story, this tale follows the fortunes of three young men, navigating the tumultous world of 1940s Spain. But, as the Second World war draws near, one is sent to spy on another and the ramifications of a tragic love story will haunt them all.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,224,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible