Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Winter in Madrid by C. J. Sansom

Winter in Madrid (original 2006; edition 2009)

by C. J. Sansom (Author)

Member:pmorris
Title:Winter in Madrid
Authors:C. J. Sansom (Author)
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2009), eBook

Winter in Madrid by C. J. Sansom (2006)

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell (BIzard)
    Guernica by Dave Boling (LynnB)
    LynnB: Set in the same time period, this book tells the story of the Basque people of northern Spain.
    To serve them all my days by R. F. Delderfield (Anonymous user)

English (44)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (55)
Excellent book portraying Madrid after the Civil War in the early days of Franco's dictatorship. Harry is asked to work in the British Embassy as a translator, but in reality he's there to spy on his old schoolfriend Sandy who is working closely with the Franco regime.

The story uncovers their schoolboy past and friendships that leads to a dramatic climax in the mountains around Madrid.

mancmilhist | Aug 28, 2014 |
This story is set in Spain during the second world war. Life is harsh. The sense of place and time is very well captured. The plot entwines historical fiction, espionage and romance and mostly does this very well. I kept wanting the hero to be more heroic and the climax could have played out in a number of different ways. There was something a bit frustrating about the last few scenes in Madrid but I think the author was deliberately avoiding the sentimental wrap-up which is probably a wise choice. The last page or so was a surprise to me though in hindsight it should have been predictable. I would love to know what happened next. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jul 7, 2014 |
A very engaging and engrossing read with spies and politics and love affairs and con games. After a somewhat slow begining (by me), I tore into it and read it in a few days. Definetely in the Thumping Good Read catagory but not just adventure. Thoughtful characters and well put together. The epilouge lost it for me but that was a minor complaint.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Very personal for me as my dad was an international brigader. I've always understood why he did not want to share his experiences with his family. After reading this I feel I understand that even more. It is fiction but really makes you feel engaged with the people, place and times. A very good book. I think I would have loved reading it almost as much without the personal interest, and a good window on how deeply different Spain is from Britain, and how much suffering there has been for so many. A great addition to my Madrid theme - thanks susanne for recommending it. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
The kind of book that makes you want to shout at the author at he end, "No! You've got it wrong. That's not what happened. What happened was..."

So my ending is: Barbara shoots Sandy to protect Bernie. Luckily no one hears this... Sofia is shot, but the rest of them get away. Harry doesn't try to strangle Hoare; instead Harry, Barbara and Bernie are sent home and Hoare raises a stink about the camps with Franco. Harry back in Britain, campaigns about the camps and Bernie and Barbara live happily ever after. Paco and Sofia's brother still go to the south of Spain.

It was very Robert Goddard in style and tone. An interesting story. ( )
  rhiand | Apr 28, 2014 |
A best seller in Britain, “Winter in Madrid” prompted some reviewers there to compare Sansom to Graham Greene, Sebastian Faulks and even Hemingway, but I came away less convinced. The idea of transferring public school rivalries to a real battleground is certainly clever, but more introspection would have been welcome. Without the compensation of rich language, the novel’s formulaic structure becomes all too visible. True, Sansom has come up with a surprise ending, but that’s what you expect of a thriller. The problem is that there aren’t enough thrills in the chapters leading up to it.

It's always a risky strategy for an author to change horses in midstream. If you have enjoyed the critical (and commercial) success that C J Sansom has had with his elegantly written Tudor crime novels, why test the loyalty of your readership by delivering a literary saga set in Spain at the end of the Civil War? Yet if this radical change of direction loses readers, that will be a great shame. Sansom establishes that he is as much a master of this era as of that of Henry VIII.
added by starfishian | editThe Independent (Jun 19, 2006)

To the memory of the thousands of children of Republican parents who disappeared into the orphanages of Franco's Spain
Bernie had lain at the foot of the knoll for hours, half-conscious.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0330411985, Paperback)

trade edition paperback, fine

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:33 -0400)

Part thriller, part love story, this tale follows the fortunes of three young men, navigating the tumultous world of 1940s Spain. But, as the Second World war draws near, one is sent to spy on another and the ramifications of a tragic love story will haunt them all.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible