Easter Parade by Richard Yates

Easter Parade (original 1976; edition 2008)

by Richard Yates

Title:Easter Parade
Authors:Richard Yates
Info:Vintage Books USA (2008), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Untitled collection

The Easter Parade by Richard Yates (1976)

The Old Wives' Tale by Arnold Bennett (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: One's a fat early-20th-century English novel and the other a spare modern American one but both recount the lives of two sisters, one of whom settles into domesticity and one of whom goes further afield to lead an apparently more eventful life. And more strikingly both leave the reader with a great sense of sadness because both Bennett and Yates convey so overwhelming a sense of the transience and smallness of life.… (more)

English (36)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (44)
While undeniably a brilliantly written book, The Easter Parade offered what felt like constant whiffs of misogyny that I had trouble getting past. I did not feel this when reading Revolutionary Road, despite the fact that awful things also happen to the female protagonist in that book (so it doesn't have anything to do with the events of the story, more the tone in which they were occasionally rendered).

The characters of Emily and Sarah were both so vividly shown using spare and unflinching prose, of which Yates was an unquestionable master. The threads of sadness and failure in this novel are timeless. However, it felt deeply dated and disturbing in ways that were, I think, unintentional. (I'm totally fine with the intentionally disturbing parts, BTW. It's just hard to take this novel at face value as a 21st century feminist.) Reminiscent of Updike and Cheever. ( )
  sansmerci | Apr 21, 2016 |
If you're looking for light hearted, happy-go-lucky tales that end with a smile, steer clear of Richard Yates. He's a serious writer who wasn't afraid of shining the light on uncomfortable subjects. In The Easter Parade, a story of two sisters who take separate, rocky paths in search of happiness, Yates makes very real the challenges of divorce, parenting, dating, sex in the days of "pre-liberation," alcoholism, domestic violence, and mental illness. Yates is a master of capturing the wrenching and at times painful emotions woven through all of those subjects, which many found difficult to discuss; certainly during the time period covered in this book, 1940s to 1970s. Don't read this book as any kind of curative, but if you've struggled finding Mr/Ms Right, felt lost, waded through a less than ideal life, you may find a little kinship with the Grimes sisters. Once you start, Yates will certainly draw you in with engaging dialog and his clear observations on the human condition. ( )
  traumleben | Jan 3, 2016 |
the story of two very different sisters and their lives. it was sad, but a good sad, the kind that makes you sit back and think about life and love and family. ( )
  amanaceerdh | Dec 30, 2015 |
This is my second Yates book, and I'm delighted to say I loved it every bit as much as Revolutionary Road, if not more. I don't know what it is about Yates, but I just love, love, LOVE his writing. I also enjoy Updike who writes in a similar sort of style, but I think Yates is a little softer around the edges and his prose is tighter.

Easter Parade tells the story of 2 sisters as they grow up, both leading dysfunctional lives but in very different ways. One conforms to the steady path of marriage and children, and is hell-bent on keeping to that road even though she pays a terrible price for it. The younger sister goes the other way - a career girl with many lovers, she also struggles to find happiness but for very different reasons.

If circumstances had allowed I could have easily devoured this in one sitting without ever stopping. Yates' stories are always melancholy, but I fall in love with his vivid, damaged characters every time, and his writing never loses pace. I find myself racing towards the end but hoping I don't quite get there for a little while longer.

It just has to be 5 stars. What can I say - I love this guy's books.

I will have to space out his remaining books or I will cry when I get to the last one. ( )
1 vote AlisonY | Mar 15, 2015 |
Extremely well written, but immensely sad and sobering. I wouldn't read this one on a day I was already feeling rather blue! ( )
  fountainoverflows | Oct 7, 2013 |

Richard Yatesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martín Lloret, JordiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gina Catherine
Neither of the Grimes sisters would have a happy life, and looking back it always seemed that the trouble began with their parents' divorce.

In The Easter Parade, first published in 1976, we meet sisters Sarah and Emily Grimes when they are still the children of divorced parents. We observe the sisters over four decades, watching them grow into two very different women. Sarah is stable and stalwart, settling into an unhappy marriage. Emily is precocious and independent, struggling with one unsatisfactory love affair after another. Richard Yates's classic novel is about how both women struggle to overcome their tarnished family's past, and how both finally reach for some semblance of renewal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:38 -0400)

Astaire stars as a dancer whose partner abandons his act. Judy Garland steps in and falls in love with Fred.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Easter Parade by Richard Yates was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,722,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible