The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories…

The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories (2009)

by Leo Tolstoy

Brilliant. This novella could have been written yesterday, the themes are so universal, so timeless. And the writing is, as one expects from Tolstoy, positively gorgeous. ( )
  Narshkite | Nov 19, 2013 |
This is a new translation of some of Tolstoy's shorter works by the noted translators Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, and I snapped it up both because of my love for "War and Peace" and "Anna Karenina" and because I've admired the translators' previous work. I am glad I read it, and I really enjoyed some of the stories/novellas, especially "Hadji Murat" (which I'd read before), "the Forged Coupon," and "Master and Man." Some of the other stories I found fascinating, although difficult to relate to, for their intense depiction of sexual desire as a manifestation of the devil, and some written after Tolstoy "got religion" were just too religiously based for me. Nevertheless, as an admirer of Tolstoy, I was glad to get a broader picture of his work, although W&P and AK are certainly in another league than many of these stories.

ETA Reading "Hadji Murat" will tell you everything you need to know about Russia's continuing problems with Chechnya, and a lot about western problems in Muslim countries.
  rebeccanyc | Apr 19, 2010 |
I enjoyed this book but find it hard to understand. In order for me to understand the stories in this book I have to read them more than once. I have read the story "Death of Ivan Ilyich" at least two or three times now so I understand that one. But I need to re-read the other stories in this book again before I can tell you what they were fully about. ( )
  boredness | Mar 14, 2010 |

Leo Tolstoyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pevear, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This edition, published in 2009, includes stories selected by the translators Richard Pevear and Larissa Volkhonsky. It includes the following stories: 'The Prisoner of the Caucasus,' 'The Diary of a Madman,' 'The Death of Ivan Illich,' 'The Kreutzer Sonata,' 'The Devil,' 'Master and Man,' 'Father Sergius,' 'After the Ball,' 'The Forged Coupon,' Alyosha the Pot,' and 'Hadji Murat'.

This is the October 2010 paperback edition, of the hardcover which was published in 2009, and includes stories selected by the translators Richard Pevear and Larissa Volkhonsky. It includes the following stories: 'The Prisoner of the Caucasus,' 'The Diary of a Madman,' 'The Death of Ivan Illich,' 'The Kreutzer Sonata,' 'The Devil,' 'Master and Man,' 'Father Sergius,' 'After the Ball,' 'The Forged Coupon,' Alyosha the Pot,' and 'Hadji Murat'. Please only combine this with other Pevear/Volkhonsky translation editions with the same works. Please do NOT combine it with other collections of The Death of Ivan Illich and Other Stories.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307268810, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, December 2009: To anyone for whom Leo Tolstoy's masterpieces War and Peace and Anna Karenina have stood as giants too daunting to scale, and equally to the many readers who have devoured those novels and are hungry for more, we offer The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories. Newly translated by the team of Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, who have enlivened the Russian classics for a new generation, this selection of 11 of his finest stories reveals a Tolstoy of many sides and unsurpassed storytelling talents. Along with smaller gems like "Alyosha the Pot," the collection features a handful of thrilling longer tales that each carry the power of a novel: the terrifying murderer's confession of "The Kreuzer Sonata," the breathlessly dramatic path of a single crime through dozens of lives in "The Forged Coupon," and the haunting account of the isolation of mortality in the legendary title story. Most revelatory of all for a modern reader is the final novella, and Tolstoy's final work, "Hadji Murat," the disturbingly contemporary story of a fiercely honorable Chechen warrior caught between local rivalries and the ambivalent reach of a decadent empire. --Tom Nissley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:31 -0400)

26 wanted14 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,254,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible