dismiss

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games Trilogy (2008)

by Suzanne Collins

Collects all three adventures of Katniss and the District 12 team, as they compete in the annual televised survival competition to secure a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families.

English (117)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (120)
THE HUNGER GAMES: It might not be the most original of concepts, but the first book in Suzanne Collins's trilogy is filled with thrills, surprises and dangerous moments. The slow start sets the setting and characters greatly and the actual games prove to be filled with exhilarating moments as well as touching and emotional sequences. Katniss spends a lot of time alone here, and she really only develops her relationship with Peeta, while other central characters, such as Prim, Gale, and Haymitch, remain superfluous. CATCHING FIRE: The sequel is both weaker and stronger in many ways. The overall plot feels repetitive, the beginning of the book is painstakingly slow but the final half is actually better than the games in the first book. The stakes feel higher and the danger is more palpable this time around. Katniss is surrounded by more intriguing characters this time around, such as Beetee and Finnick, while the central relationships barely move forward. MOCKINGJAY: The disappointing threequel. One of the most disappointing and frustrating novels I have ever read within the YA fantasy genre. Everything Collins builds up in the first two books is retconned or ruined in this one. No Hunger Games to move to plot forward, the "war" is barely seen or felt and so many central things happen but are never shown to us. This book is one major middle finger to the "show, don't tell" rule. The ending is horrible in every possible way, Katniss is an annoying protagonist and the love triangle between her, Gale and Peeta is plain stupid. Add in some unnecessary deaths, pointless scenes of characters doing pointless things and an extremely slow first two-thirds of the book and you have a real disaster. ( )
  MrScallops | Mar 27, 2020 |
Me: “Pardon me? There's enough in the books for prequels? There was barely enough in the books for the films themselves. They're not exactly a speculative tour-de-force and they offer nothing that no one's done or said before. Why exactly did they take off?”

Passerby: “Publicity brainwashing pre-pubescent fans. Loathsome books/movies. How about a shequel? A spin-off based on her character.”

Me: “With a role for Sean Connery, perhaps?”

Passerby: “I don't think that will shit well.”

Me: “You mean shit-quel? The entire bunch of these "movies/books" was shit, pure and simple.”

Passerby: “I love it when a pop culture analysis arrives to tell us that this has never been done before. Who, really... never ever been a story or saga about a female who beats men and generally reforms the structure of society? Athene, goddess of Athens was a warmonger. Thank goodness she did not encourage Athens to become... well, Athens. The Amazons... oh well yes, but they got their geography wrong. How about the nasty Hindu goddess who likes eating babies? Or IS fighters who fear being killed by a woman because that is - crossing religiosity - bad karma? The and ors could go on and on and on. The two longest serving monarchs in history have been women. First was an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh and then there is Queen Elizabeth II. We have fables about women who dress as men to undertake rebellion. Women who sacrifice everything to protect children, or save a marriage [but it is the same violent thuggee, duh!]. Women have been vastly more integral to history than seems to be told. That exclusion may be sexism, but I cannot embrace that Jennifer Lawrence somehow entrains an original statement of female presence, effect, and renaissance.”

Me: “Well, one of the oldest (maybe the first) dystopian movies was Metropolis with the central figure of Maria as the healer of a civilisation. The books/movies are shameless rip offs of other books/movies; this theme has been with us in film since Metropolis and in print from even before that.”

Passerby”: “I heard it’s a rip-off from another movie...”

Me: “ Have you read both books and seen both movies? I saw Battle Royal before I read the Hunger Games and I'm sorry - the similarities are just too flagrant to ignore. Both were crap; it was the same story transposed to a different time and slightly different setting. Copy? Maybe not, but same-same? Definitely. I enjoyed Battle Royal more - only because it didn't have the saccharine-sweet-sexless-shove-morals in your face Hunger Games has.” ( )
  antao | Oct 30, 2019 |
Set in the future, the trials and tribulations of Cat Everdine are allegorical to the difficulties any teenager faces enter the crazy world adults have created and trying to find her place in it. ( )
  Tinhub | Oct 29, 2019 |
In a dark vision of the near future twelve girls and twelve boys are forced to appear in a live TV show called the Hunger Games where they must fight to the death. Only one can survive. Sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her younger sister's place in the games and her fight for survival begins. Can she retain anything of herself in this barbaric game, and what will be the repercussions if she shows any sign of rebellion? ( )
  AccyP | Feb 11, 2019 |
5+ stars for the whole series.
The Hunger Games- 100+ stars. All the stars in the sky!! I hate myself for taking so long to start reading this!! Absolutely perfect in every way. Such a great book. I can not wait to finish the series. I know I’m in for an emotional ride. Probably my new favorite series. I just can’t even put into words all my feeling right now.
Catching Fire- Amazing. Absolutely amazing!! So much chaos and craziness in one book. The new arena is brilliant. Lots of action which I loved. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger. I can’t wait to read the next book and see how the rebellion plays out.
Mockingjay- Great ending to a great series. This series is definitely one of my favorites. It was so much fun to read. I do think I liked the first two books a little better but only because I liked the action of them being in the arena for the Hunger Games. Overall I loved them all and would definitely recommend them to everyone!! ( )
  JessVillafane | Jan 6, 2019 |
I'm sure some of my SF comrades will dismiss these novels as "escapist young adult fiction." Fair enough. Maybe I'm just immature (my wife will vouch for that in a heartbeat ;-). But I'd list two recent "young adult" fiction series among my all-time favorites, and The Hunger Games ranks beside Harry Potter in that category for me. Both are simply tremendous examples of the storyteller's art. Both feature protagonists, antagonists, and supporting casts of characters who grab the reader's imagination and refuse to let go. And I'll make a confession: The Hunger Games is the first trilogy I can remember that hooked me so profoundly that I re-read it, start to finish, as soon as I digested the last line of the last book.
added by btburt | editWork in Progress, Brian Burt (Oct 26, 2014)

I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.

Hunger games is an action/love story about a brave young woman that puts her own life at stake to save her sisters. She is forced into an arena with a group of boys and girls between the ages of 12 and 18 and told to fight to the death until there is one child left standing. There are 12 districts from where people are from. One boy and one girl are chosen at random every year as a reminder not to rebel against the government. This masquer is shown all over the cities for everyone to see on large tv screens. The citizens all watch, some in fear for there loved ones lives and some in fear of losing the bet they placed on a certain tribute to be the final one standing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,237,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible