The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set by…

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

2,049None3,235 (4.33)21
Member:melissadorish
Title:The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: Fifth or Later Edition, Hardcover, 1408 pages
Collections:Series Books, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy, bravery, persistence, survival, friendship, loyalty, love, family, hardship, death, rising above, class and society, identity, strength, skill, competition and sacrifice

The Hunger Games / Catching Fire / Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (2008)

adventure (18) boxed set (7) death (8) dystopia (46) dystopian (20) ebook (27) fantasy (42) fiction (87) friendship (7) Hunger Games (16) Katniss (6) Kindle (39) love (12) nook (6) novel (6) post-apocalyptic (9) read (14) romance (9) science fiction (65) series (13) sf (6) survival (13) suspense (6) teen (9) to-read (15) trilogy (14) war (8) YA (29) young adult (44) young adult fiction (8)

English (74)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (76)
[the hunger games trilogy box set]

if it's set in the future, how does humanity become worse than it is now? district 12 is fighting for survival 10-30 years in the future and here we are in food heaven! in all books there is way too much talking. in the last book the hunger games series starts to lose purpose. as well as that in the last book katniss cries way too much and there is too much love going on.
  RaphaelO | Mar 25, 2014 |
Our book discussion group is scheduled to discuss this book so that is what got me to read it. Not expecting to particularly like it, I was surprised to find it a pretty riveting read. Each year two "tributes" are chosen from each of twelve districts to participate in the Hunger Games in the Capital City. The tributes are adolescents, one male and one female, and they fight each other to the death in an "arena". The arena is a type of controlled wilderness area in which the Gamesmakers have control over the environment and landscape. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta, the baker's son, are the two from District 12. The country is Panem, a post U.S. replacement that is a totalitarian regime. The citizens are kept hungry and beaten down with the Games serving to further enforce their loyalties. The winner's district will receive more food for the next year. All events of the Games are televised, and every citizen is required to watch. The one thing about the book that doesn't ring true is why the parents of these children would not revolt and try to protect their children when their number is chosen for the sacrifice. It's hard to imagine all people beaten down year after year, never standing up for their children. Maybe love was gone, too, from this civilization. Nonetheless, it is a worthwhile read, and there are two sequels to follow if the reader wishes to continue the trek. ( )
  kblinn | Jan 6, 2014 |
I recommend reading the hunger games if you are a young adult interested in adventurous novels. These books are quite easy to read and can be enjoyed by many readers. The story follows a young girl who sparks a rebellion in a futuristic land where the common folk are slaves to an all mighty Capitol. Throughout the story we see bloodshed, an interesting love triangle, and a young girls inner battle with herself. What really sets this trilogy apart from most stories today is that most readers are quite content not being in the place of the protagonist, we're simply along for the ride until the story concludes. All in all this story is quite enjoyable and should be enjoyed by many young adult readers interested in romance and adventure. ( )
  BookSeekers | Dec 28, 2013 |
I purchased the trilogy after watching the first two movies simply to find out how the story ends. It was easy for me to visualize the characters and scenes - thanks to the two movies. Of course, after completing the first two books in the series, I was able to learn more about the individual characters, their backgrounds and the reasons behind the unrest in the various districts...seems like the movies barely scratched the surface. Kitness, Peeta and Gale are portrayed as fearless victors, ready to lead the revolt. I was anxious to get into the final book to see how it all comes together.

I found The Mockingjay didn't read as smooth as the first two books. To me, the first half of the story bogged down while the characters were in District 13, and too much time was spent the love triangle of the main characters. I also found myself confused during this part of the story and felt like the President of District 13 was trying to overthrow the capital and using everyone else as pawns in her complex scheme to become the supreme ruler. When the war actually begins, the pace picks up and moves quickly. As the battles continue, many of the characters die while trying to protect Kitness...sending a clear message that sometimes war is necessary, but the price will always be steep. The book ends abruptly, but thank goodness the epilogue provides answers to the question: What happened after the war?

Overall, I found the trilogy enjoyable and easy to read, hard to put down especially with the cliff hangers that the author uses at the end of the chapters. I can't wait for the last movie installment in 2014 and look forward to how close it will follow the written word. Highly recommended! Great job Suzanne Collins!

John Podlaski, author
[[ASIN:B003R4Z5U6 Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel]] ( )
1 vote JPodlaski | Dec 13, 2013 |
I loved these books, the violence could be a bi graphic for younger readers. ( )
  CelenaM511 | Dec 4, 2013 |
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.

The extraordinary, ground breaking New York Times bestsellers The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, along with the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay, are available for the first time ever in a beautiful boxset edition. Stunning, gripping, and powerful. The trilogy is now complete!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:31 -0400)

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible