The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set by…

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

Member:melissadorish
Title:The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: Fifth or Later Edition, Hardcover, 1408 pages
Collections:Series Books, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy, bravery, persistence, survival, friendship, loyalty, love, family, hardship, death, rising above, class and society, identity, strength, skill, competition and sacrifice

The Hunger Games / Catching Fire / Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (2008)

English (114)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (116)
Overall this was a good series. I loved the characters, plot, excitement and even the small bit of romance. Toward the end of the series the storyline began to drag a little and became a bit easy to predict, but it picked back up in the final chapters. All-in-all I really enjoyed it and am glad someone from my group picked it as my April read. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jan 15, 2016 |
This book seems to be aimed mostly at the adult reading it to a child. The children in my class of three- to five-year-olds enjoyed the story, and seemed to identify with Bill a little, but it was a little beyond them. They thought that the pictures were pretty funny, especially when Bill is colored with the orange marker, but they didn't really get into the story, and have not asked to hear it again.
  UWPChildrensCenter | Jan 8, 2016 |
Great female hero: flawed, unsure. Not too much romance. Just saw the first film, which left certain things out and therefore unclear, due to length constrictions, even then the film is nearly two and a half hours long. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Everyone is so busy poor Bill comes down with a case of the invisibles when no one can be bothered to pass him the potatoes. His family is distracted by their hectic lives at dinner (which I'm sure is something many of us can relate to). This is a cute book with a strong message. Lessons to be learned by children and parents alike. This story would be a great discussion starter for parents and kiddos about how important it is to give our full attention to those we care about.

The illustrations are also super cute. ( )
  C.Ibarra | Oct 24, 2015 |
Upon reflection, this series reminds me of three other books. Stephen King's [b:The Running Man|11607|The Running Man|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1286562591s/11607.jpg|3652165] and [b:The Long Walk|9014|The Long Walk|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309212400s/9014.jpg|522169] in the beginning, but Orson Scott Card's [b:Ender's Game|375802|Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)|Orson Scott Card|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1316636769s/375802.jpg|2422333] by the end.

I get why people don't like the third book; it's very different from the first two. But then, it should be. It's not a nice finale, but it's the right one. It's not the nice, triumphant climax that most people seemed to expect, but...it's right. By the end, most of the main characters are either dead or damaged. I liked that. Not because I wanted to see them suffer, but because the message is that war is nasty, brutal business that scars people for life. It's not glamorous, and it shouldn't be painted as such. The very contrast between the districts and the Capitol, the pre-Games excesses and the war's shortages...that's the point, but it's also what turns people off. Kudos to the author for letting the characters go where they needed to, rather than taking the easy way out and just writing a happy ending that would please fans.

The series is well worth reading. Highly recommended. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
I'm sure some of my SF comrades will dismiss these novels as "escapist young adult fiction." Fair enough. Maybe I'm just immature (my wife will vouch for that in a heartbeat ;-). But I'd list two recent "young adult" fiction series among my all-time favorites, and The Hunger Games ranks beside Harry Potter in that category for me. Both are simply tremendous examples of the storyteller's art. Both feature protagonists, antagonists, and supporting casts of characters who grab the reader's imagination and refuse to let go. And I'll make a confession: The Hunger Games is the first trilogy I can remember that hooked me so profoundly that I re-read it, start to finish, as soon as I digested the last line of the last book.
added by btburt | editWork in Progress, Brian Burt (Oct 26, 2014)

I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.

Hunger games is an action/love story about a brave young woman that puts her own life at stake to save her sisters. She is forced into an arena with a group of boys and girls between the ages of 12 and 18 and told to fight to the death until there is one child left standing. There are 12 districts from where people are from. One boy and one girl are chosen at random every year as a reminder not to rebel against the government. This masquer is shown all over the cities for everyone to see on large tv screens. The citizens all watch, some in fear for there loved ones lives and some in fear of losing the bet they placed on a certain tribute to be the final one standing.

The extraordinary, ground breaking New York Times bestsellers The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, along with the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay, are available for the first time ever in a beautiful boxset edition. Stunning, gripping, and powerful. The trilogy is now complete!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:42 -0400)

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,113,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible