The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set by…

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

Title:The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: Fifth or Later Edition, Hardcover, 1408 pages
Collections:Series Books, Your library
Tags:Fantasy, bravery, persistence, survival, friendship, loyalty, love, family, hardship, death, rising above, class and society, identity, strength, skill, competition and sacrifice

The Hunger Games / Catching Fire / Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (2008)

Recently added byKajola, GigiFiji, posykelly, Nillan, AlexGriffin, hallowsun, Kaethe, rachellep, private library, szwhits

English (117)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (119)
After completing this reading of the trilogy, all together, I'd like to pull up something profound. They are, of course, thrilling stories, full of clever traps and slick evasions. They are also deeply moving stories, about the desperate people on the outside of rich society. As well, it is the story of one girl, deeply wrapped up in her own small community, who is forced to taken a broader view of her society and what it means. It's a story about how to stage a rebellion. Even more, it's a story about the high cost of war, and how none of the survivors ever stop paying. It's a reminder to not just question authority, but to question everything.

Reading it has left me sad, in a good way. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
Excellent. Very well written. Katniss is totally believable as a teenaged heroine. Each novel was better than the one before. Suzanne Collins is to be saluted for writing a young adult series that is as appealing to "old" adults as well as the young.
  chibitika | Aug 28, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cute, funny picture book about a little boy named Bill who becomes invisible when his family ignores him one night at dinner. He is the middle child who is often overlooked by both his busy, important parents and his two siblings. Bill finally decides to take advantage of the situation and make his family pay attention to him. This book is sure to appeal to middle children everywhere. ( )
  Ms.Elkins | May 11, 2016 |
Everyone is so busy poor Bill comes down with a case of the invisibles when no one can be bothered to pass him the potatoes. His family is distracted by their hectic lives at dinner (which I'm sure is something many of us can relate to). This is a cute book with a strong message. Lessons to be learned by children and parents alike. This story would be a great discussion starter for parents and kiddos about how important it is to give our full attention to those we care about.

The illustrations are also super cute. ( )
  C.Ibarra | Mar 11, 2016 |
I think that this novel and this series is a good one to use in a middle school setting. When I first read it, I was in high school, so I think that it would challenge middle schoolers. Along with the challenge, they will love reading about something totally different from their own world. Especial with middle school aged students, they seem to always want to escape the real world. This is a good book to use for that but also teaches the ideas of love and the strengths on individuals. One individuals journey to overcome all of the hardship that she has been through.
  AnnaTaylor | Feb 18, 2016 |
I'm sure some of my SF comrades will dismiss these novels as "escapist young adult fiction." Fair enough. Maybe I'm just immature (my wife will vouch for that in a heartbeat ;-). But I'd list two recent "young adult" fiction series among my all-time favorites, and The Hunger Games ranks beside Harry Potter in that category for me. Both are simply tremendous examples of the storyteller's art. Both feature protagonists, antagonists, and supporting casts of characters who grab the reader's imagination and refuse to let go. And I'll make a confession: The Hunger Games is the first trilogy I can remember that hooked me so profoundly that I re-read it, start to finish, as soon as I digested the last line of the last book.
added by btburt | editWork in Progress, Brian Burt (Oct 26, 2014)

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collins, Suzannemain authorall editionsconfirmed
I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.

Hunger games is an action/love story about a brave young woman that puts her own life at stake to save her sisters. She is forced into an arena with a group of boys and girls between the ages of 12 and 18 and told to fight to the death until there is one child left standing. There are 12 districts from where people are from. One boy and one girl are chosen at random every year as a reminder not to rebel against the government. This masquer is shown all over the cities for everyone to see on large tv screens. The citizens all watch, some in fear for there loved ones lives and some in fear of losing the bet they placed on a certain tribute to be the final one standing.

The extraordinary, ground breaking New York Times bestsellers The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, along with the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay, are available for the first time ever in a beautiful boxset edition. Stunning, gripping, and powerful. The trilogy is now complete!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:42 -0400)

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love"--Cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,785,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible