The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set by…

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

Member:conlonk
Title:The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: Fifth or Later Edition, Hardcover, 1408 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, dystopian

The Hunger Games / Catching Fire / Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (2008)

English (83)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (85)
I mean if you like to read stories where the main character is supposedly badass yet decides to just hang out for half a book, this is right up your alley.

Disappointing ending. ( )
  Rob_Holm | Nov 28, 2014 |
The hunger games trilogy is a great story, whose 3 books form a satisfying three act play. The 1st book Hunger Games satirizes the merger of reality show culture with an oppressive totalitarian, consumer obsessed society. It is both a love story and adventure story. The setting of the books is a post-apocalyptic America. The one weakness of this approach is its purely North American focus. I was left wondering what happened to the rest of the world. One paragraph could have spoken volumes. Even if you have seen the movie of the 1st book ,Hunger Games, reading the book is worthwhile by giving the reader the motivations of each character. Book 2 Catching Fire is an exciting sequel that takes place 9 months after the events of book 1. It deals with the unintended consequences caused by main characters surviving the original games. You gain more of an insight into the consumer culture and how fragile and repressive the totalitarian government is. Book 3 Mockingjay explores how symbols and apparent heroes are in the end used and manipulated by various factions and how the lines between good and evil can become blurred in course of seeking a goal. This final book gives a the reader a satisfying but unexpected conclusion to this trilogy. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
THE HUNGER GAMES

After a month long reading slump I needed something quick and engrossing, and decided that a zillion readers hopefully weren’t wrong. Having managed to avoid the film and most of the talk of this series, I was able to go into this more or less spoiler free.

I can totally see the appeal. There is something a little rudimentary about the post-apocalyptic dystopia Collins creates, but she is smart keeping the story at ground level. Katniss is a great heroine, tough, flawed and believable, and the dilemmas she face are acute and believable.

Most of this book reads like a thriller, with Katniss trying to survive the games. Collins does a great job of crating tension and ambience, where the whole thing could easily have been strained and over-inflated. This, and the effective (if perhaps not unexpected) twists make me more than willing to overlook logical gaps such a camera presence, pinpointed parachutes and a dozen other little things.

I’m eager to see where this is going, and have a hunch I’ll like the series even more post game.

CATCHING FIRE

The first book more or less dealt with repression, examplified by the games themselves. This, the second part of the trilogy, looks instead at the mechanics of rebellion. Starting off right after the first book, Katniss is faced with the consequences of the choices she made in the hunger games – and forced to realise just how little a spark can be and stlll be dangerous. Collins places her heroine in a complex dilemma where all choices seem bad, and broadens the perspective, letting us know more about this post-apocalyptic world. It’s all good.

The weakest part of the book for me is paradoxally the one that made the first book. Katniss’ return to the arena is where the book loses a little bit of momentum for me. Despite Collins attempts at creating a fresh setting with tons of nasty traps, it feels like a bit of a re-hash.

Even so, this is a series with both brains and a heart, and I look forward to seeing what happens after the rather abrupt ending of this part.

MOCKINGJAY

The uprising is turning into a war and Katniss is it’s involontary symbol. Despite reeling under her losses and trauma she is again put in front of cameras to push people in a direction – only this time by what is supposed to be the good guys. Gale in his new role as a tactician is growing more and more ruthless in his ideas on how to defeat the regime. Peeta is a trapped puppet for president Snow, and Katniss slips further and further into a thirst for blind revenge.

Even despite the first parts’ violence I was surprised by the brutality of this concluding part. It deals with propaganda and the de-humanisation of war, where ideals are whittled down and the difference between good and evil is becoming more and more hard to distinguish. Collins makes brave and uncompromising choices, and I’m impressed by her willingness to explore her themes to the end. There are no false happy chords here, the price paid for freedom is harsh and very real. And her description of media’s role in deciding what side of the story will be ”the truth” is well captured in it’s absurdity. The revolution WILL be televised – and the edit will make all the difference. As will make-up.

Many seem to think this book is the weakest of the three and I guess I can see why. It’s more broken and disjointed, the polt less tight. For me though, the way it carries themes further and broadens the perspective, and the way it often hits me in the guts, makes it my favorite part of a series which deserves it’s praise. ( )
  GingerbreadMan | Nov 6, 2014 |
I love the Hunge rGame series :) i wonder how Katniss and Peeta's children look like in person. ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
I'm sure some of my SF comrades will dismiss these novels as "escapist young adult fiction." Fair enough. Maybe I'm just immature (my wife will vouch for that in a heartbeat ;-). But I'd list two recent "young adult" fiction series among my all-time favorites, and The Hunger Games ranks beside Harry Potter in that category for me. Both are simply tremendous examples of the storyteller's art. Both feature protagonists, antagonists, and supporting casts of characters who grab the reader's imagination and refuse to let go. And I'll make a confession: The Hunger Games is the first trilogy I can remember that hooked me so profoundly that I re-read it, start to finish, as soon as I digested the last line of the last book.
added by btburt | editWork in Progress, Brian Burt (Oct 26, 2014)

I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.

The extraordinary, ground breaking New York Times bestsellers The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, along with the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay, are available for the first time ever in a beautiful boxset edition. Stunning, gripping, and powerful. The trilogy is now complete!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:31 -0400)

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible