The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set by…

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

Member:conlonk
Title:The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxed Set
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: Fifth or Later Edition, Hardcover, 1408 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, dystopian

The Hunger Games / Catching Fire / Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (2008)

English (91)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (93)
I was sceptical because of the hype (Never trust the hype!) but intrigued by the title. And found the books highly addictive. What a story! ( )
  chrisgalle | Mar 5, 2015 |
Impressive. Well-written, well-handled and ultimately both bleaker and more cynical than expected. I'm not convinced it works in all the detail, but I'm willing to overlook a lot for the strong central character in spite of grating levels of romantic angst (esp in Catching Fire). ( )
  imyril | Jan 3, 2015 |
Hunger games series is about a girl who is forced to participate in the "Hunger Games" where it's a fight for only one survival. She knows it's wrong and spend the next two books trying to change the system. I like this series because it's about survival and fighting for what you believe is right. I would save this one for sixth graders because it's a little dark and I want them to be as mature as possible before reading it. ( )
  jordyngingeryan | Dec 9, 2014 |
This series chronicling a dystopian society and it's gladiator like games was one I couldn't put down. I liked the strong and dynamic nature of the main character Katniss Everdeen. As a history teacher I often wondered about the parallels taken from history while reading. I loved how each book and the entire series left my mind wondering and questioning. A great read and a permanent structure in my personal library. I wonder if this series will have a rebirth when my children are young adults in ten years (I hope so). Will this be considered classic modern fantasy eventually? ( )
  lolhscybrarian | Nov 30, 2014 |
I mean if you like to read stories where the main character is supposedly badass yet decides to just hang out for half a book, this is right up your alley.

Disappointing ending. ( )
  Rob_Holm | Nov 28, 2014 |
I'm sure some of my SF comrades will dismiss these novels as "escapist young adult fiction." Fair enough. Maybe I'm just immature (my wife will vouch for that in a heartbeat ;-). But I'd list two recent "young adult" fiction series among my all-time favorites, and The Hunger Games ranks beside Harry Potter in that category for me. Both are simply tremendous examples of the storyteller's art. Both feature protagonists, antagonists, and supporting casts of characters who grab the reader's imagination and refuse to let go. And I'll make a confession: The Hunger Games is the first trilogy I can remember that hooked me so profoundly that I re-read it, start to finish, as soon as I digested the last line of the last book.
added by btburt | editWork in Progress, Brian Burt (Oct 26, 2014)

I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.

The extraordinary, ground breaking New York Times bestsellers The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, along with the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay, are available for the first time ever in a beautiful boxset edition. Stunning, gripping, and powerful. The trilogy is now complete!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:31 -0400)

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,196,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible