The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer

The Book of Fate

by Brad Meltzer

1,842585,693 (3.26)1 / 47

English (56)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (58)
I went on a Brad Meltzer kick for a little while and binge read through his books. That being said, I can't remember the exact details of this one! I remember enjoying it well enough (especially where conspiracy theories are involved, like the masons and their role in politics and government, etc.) ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
Kinda turned me off about halfway through and I lost interest. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
As expected with a Brad Meltzer novel, The Book of Fate is very complex filled with plot turns and conspiracies. I expected a lot more information about Thomas Jefferson and the Masons. There was some tie-in to the story but not as much as I expected. Wes, the first person main character had quite a few insecurities and blemishes. Meltzer spent a lot of time on Niko that didn't really go anywhere. Maybe, I'll read another Meltzer book. ( )
  buffalogr | Oct 22, 2017 |
Nutshell--Good, engaging, but not even as complex as a Castle episode/mystery

While a good page-turner, I figured out the alleged surprise identity of a hidden "person behind it all" about a third of the way into the book. It didn't diminish some of the suspense or other side-mysteries, but it felt a bit going-through-the-numbers to me.

I decided to read this because I wondered why Brad Meltzer was getting such big reviews and sales; his Identity Crisis for DC Comics was my first exposure to him and I still haven't forgiven him for his ruination of Ralph & Sue Dibny (not to mention the cascading domino-theory problem from his retconned ideas in said mini-series).

Will I read more Meltzer? Sure, if the topic at hand is interesting to me, but I won't be expecting a mystery that keeps me guessing. He's more a thriller writer than mystery I suppose, but when all you know is the author's marketing & book covers, that's how they seem at first blush to this reader.

SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
ummmmm...average beach book ( )
  Brumby18 | Oct 15, 2016 |

Brad Meltzerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karjalainen, HeikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lila, my girl, who took my heart, and with her smile, doubled its size
Six minutes from now, one of us would be dead.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044661212X, Mass Market Paperback)

"Six minutes from now, one of us would be dead. None of us knew it was coming."

So says Wes Holloway, a young presidential aide, about the day he put Ron Boyle, the chief executive's oldest friend, into the president's limousine. By the trip's end, a crazed assassin would permanently disfigure Wes and kill Boyle. Now, eight years later, Boyle has been spotted alive. Trying to figure out what really happened takes Wes back into disturbing secrets buried in Freemason history, a decade-old presidential crossword puzzle, and a two-hundred-year-old code invented by Thomas Jefferson that conceals secrets worth dying for.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:07 -0400)

"A two-hundred-year-old code devised by Thomas Jefferson becomes the key to a present-day conspiracy at the highest levels of Washington and the power elite of Palm Beach"--Provided by the publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,605,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible