Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Silent in the Grave (edition 2007)

by Deanna Raybourn

Member:veracity
Title:Silent in the Grave
Authors:Deanna Raybourn
Info:Chatswood, N.S.W. : Mira Books, 2007.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, gothic, mystery, victorian, steampunk, heroine, strong women, strong woman, widow

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Street of the Five Moons by Elizabeth Peters (faither)
    faither: Although not set in nearly the same time period (1970s-ish and mid-1800s), Vicky Bliss and Lady Julia Gray are similar heroes. Witty, stubborn and intelligent if they were contemporaries, I'd like to think they would be partners.
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (aseaver)
    aseaver: If you liked the Lady Julia Grey mysteries, give Amelia Peabody a try. The quaint Victorian time frame, the interesting plot lines, even the slightly zany and varied secondary cast, all combine for a consistently great read.
    The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry (readr)
    readr: Same kind of headstrong female character set in 19th century England, a creepy mystery, and some romance.
    Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas (lindymc)
    lindymc: Another well-developed mystery set in London, England in the late 1880's.
    A Famine of Horses by P.F. Chisholm (lindymc)
    lindymc: The first of a delightful historical mystery series featuring Sir Robert Carey (nephew of Queen Elizabeth I), set along the English/Scottish border.

I wasn't quite sure how I would like this mystery, but it did win an award and was nominated for more, so I decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a thoroughly interesting mystery set in Victorian England. Because Lady Julia Grey is a part of the aristocracy and the "interesting" March family, she and others of her family can be a tad odd for the times (and far more interesting to modern readers than a traditional Victorian wife/widow). Nicholas Brisbane has hints of Sherlock Holmes about his character, so that made him even more interesting to me.

The mystery was challenging, although I did suspect the person who did it. I didn't guess the motive until it was revealed. (It was hard to write that without giving away a clue as to male or female!)

If you like mysteries, you should try this. If you like Amelia Peabody, you will probably like Lady Julia. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | May 6, 2016 |
Someone quoted the opening lines of Silent in the Grave on Tumblr, and I was intrigued. Very intrigued. Immediately-reading-this intrigued.

To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband’s dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.

It's a murder mystery set during the Victorian era. Lady Julia Grey, nee Marsh is the most ordinary member of her unconventional family. However, all that changes after her husband dies and Julia begins to suspect he was murdered.

Julia is charming - quite modern in some of her attitudes, but that is easily explained by her unconventional family (who are rich enough to get away with being unconventional). The detective is intriguing and also unconventional, the mystery is reasonable and the romance subplot remains a subplot.

It was not always my cup of tea, but close enough: it doesn't have the sensibilities of the mid-20th century, but in other respects, I was reminded of the mysteries of Mary Stewart and M.M. Kaye. ( )
  Herenya | Mar 28, 2016 |
The book opens thusly: "To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor."

An excellent beginning! It is, unfortunately, all downhill from there. Lady Julia Grey, the narrator and heroine, is a sensible, good hearted gentlewoman far ahead of her time. She's a very readable character, although a bit too anachronistic. I would like to read a book in which she simply goes through life. Unfortunately, the author is determined to write mysterious romances. To solve her husband's murder, Julia engages the gentleman detective Nicholas Brisbane. He is swarthy and sarcastic and secretly excellent at fighting and music and can speak every language ever and etc--a horrible, hodgepodge collection of stereotypes that makes him well-nigh unreadable. The mystery is not any better: fifty pages from the end, the author remembers that this is a mystery novel and suddenly all sorts of clues start falling into place.

I was disappointed with this book. Raybourn obviously did some research into the Victorian era, and the March family (of which Julia is a member) is an interesting one. But the sloppiness of the mystery and the trite hero decreased my enjoyment considerably. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A light hearted Victoriana mystery. Bit slow at first but picks up the pace. Definitely structured to be the first in the series reather than a free standing novel but all good!

Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
A wonderful story with more to follow ( )
  magnolia2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Book to be savored, yet devoured in one sitting.

This book is dedicated to the memory of my grandmother, Patricia Nile Russell, and my grandfather, John Lucas Jones, Jr.
Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778325245, Mass Market Paperback)

"Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave."

Prepared to accept that Edward's death was due to a longstanding physical infirmity, Julia is outraged when Brisbane visits and suggests that Sir Edward has been murdered. It is a reaction she comes to regret when she discovers the damning paper for herself, and realizes the truth.

Determined to bring her husband's murderer to justice, Julia engages the enigmatic Brisbane to help her investigate Edward's demise. Dismissing his warnings that the investigation will be difficult, if not impossible, Julia presses forward, following a trail of clues that lead her to even more unpleasant truths, and ever closer to a killer who waits expectantly for her arrival.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

"These ominous words, slashed from the pages of a book of Psalms, are the last threat that the darling of London society, Sir Edward Grey, receives from his killer. Before he can show them to Nicholas Brisbane, the private inquiry agent he has retained for his protection, Sir Edward collapses and dies at his London home, in the presence of his wife, Julia, and a roomful of dinner guests. Prepared to accept that Edward's death was due to a long-standing physical infirmity, Julia is outraged when Brisbane visits and suggests that Sir Edward has been murdered. It is a reaction she comes to regret when she discovers the damning paper for herself, and realizes the truth"--Book description.… (more)

Deanna Raybourn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,979,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible