Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Silent in the Grave (edition 2007)

by Deanna Raybourn

Member:veracity
Title:Silent in the Grave
Authors:Deanna Raybourn
Info:Chatswood, N.S.W. : Mira Books, 2007.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, gothic, mystery, victorian, steampunk, heroine, strong women, strong woman, widow

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Street of the Five Moons by Elizabeth Peters (faither)
    faither: Although not set in nearly the same time period (1970s-ish and mid-1800s), Vicky Bliss and Lady Julia Gray are similar heroes. Witty, stubborn and intelligent if they were contemporaries, I'd like to think they would be partners.
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (aseaver)
    aseaver: If you liked the Lady Julia Grey mysteries, give Amelia Peabody a try. The quaint Victorian time frame, the interesting plot lines, even the slightly zany and varied secondary cast, all combine for a consistently great read.
    The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry (readr)
    readr: Same kind of headstrong female character set in 19th century England, a creepy mystery, and some romance.
    Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas (lindymc)
    lindymc: Another well-developed mystery set in London, England in the late 1880's.
    A Famine of Horses by P.F. Chisholm (lindymc)
    lindymc: The first of a delightful historical mystery series featuring Sir Robert Carey (nephew of Queen Elizabeth I), set along the English/Scottish border.

At a dinner party Sir Edward Grey collapses and is soon dead. Everyone believes it was from his family's curse of heart problems, but dinner guest Nicholas Brisbane has the audacity to suggest foul play to Edward's wife Julia. It is some time later that Lady Julia finds a threatening note in Edward's study and realizes that Brisbane was right. She hires him to investigate the murder, but insists on being partners in the investigation.

I enjoyed everything about this book: the writing, the characters, the murder mystery. (Even though I figured it out fairly early, it didn't spoil the story.) I also loved the tension between Brisbane and Julia. Very entertaining, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Interesting historical mystery. Held my interest most of the time. ( )
  sraelling | Jun 4, 2017 |
Silent in the Grave
4 Stars

Lady Julia Grey is not surprised when her ailing husband dies until private inquiry agent, Nicholas Brisbane, approaches her with the claim that her husband was murdered. Disbelieving at first, Julia soon comes to realize that there is more to Edward Grey’s death than meets the eye and something sinister is afoot right under her very nose.

A well written historical mystery with an intriguing if rather unoriginal plot, compelling characters and detailed historical background focusing on the social mores and customs of Victorian England.

The whodunit develops slowly, but there are sufficient red-herrings to keep you guessing, and the villain and motivation are quite interesting especially considering the time period.

Like the mystery, Julia and Brisbane's romance is slow to build. Their love/hate relationship has definite potential and their chemistry simmers just beneath the surface, but nothing actually comes of it and this is disappointing.

Julia and Nicolas fare better as individuals. She is sensible and pragmatic albeit a little snooty at times, and he very enigmatic with his dark and brooding mien and secretive nature. A comparison with Sherlock Holmes is inevitable (expert violinist, absinth addiction, chemical experiments and mood swings), but this is not a drawback for me. The one thing that does grate is the inclusion of his psychic ability, which adds nothing to his characterization.

Julia’s quirky family is not consistent with the Victorian setting although they are very endearing and add an entertaining comic relief to the story.

Ellen Archer’s narration is good with the appropriate accents and inflection. If there were one thing I would change it would be the first person perspective, which is limiting for a mystery and prevents the reader from accessing Brisbane’s POV.

Overall, an enjoyable story and I'm looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Lady Julia Grey is not entirely caught off guard when her husband, Edward, collapses at a party and dies shortly thereafter as he has been ailing for the duration of their marriage. What does shock her is when she is approached by Nicholas Brisbane, a private inquiry agent, who informs her that her husband was receiving threats and may have been murdered. Refusing to believe Brisbane's insinuations, Julia goes through most of the first year of her mourning before discovering one of the notes and realizing that Brisbane may have been right after all. As she begins to work with the enigmatic Brisbane, she learns that digging into her husband's past and death may bring things to light she never wanted to see.

I picked up this first entry in the Lady Julia Grey series after seeing a blurb about the series in a recent issue of Library Journal. Their quotation of the first sentence of the book was just too delicious for me to resist: "To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor." This first novel is a highly enjoyable mystery and while I had correct suspicions about whodunnit early on, the historical setting and the development of the characters made the entire journey worthwhile. Highly recommended for those who enjoy a good historical mystery with just a dash of flirtation in the mix. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 26, 2016 |
I guessed the twist at the end, but I didn't care, because I was enjoying the experience so much. Lady Julia strikes a good balance between liberal sensibilities (for her time) and conventionality. As with the Milan books I've been enjoying so much lately, there's an eye cast over the parts of Victorian society that were usually overlooked, including a mention of Victoria, herself.

Honestly, I think I would have enjoyed it even more without the special talent of Brisbane's. This was mournful, in the best possible way. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
Book to be savored, yet devoured in one sitting.

Deanna Raybournprimary authorall editionscalculated
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the memory of my grandmother, Patricia Nile Russell, and my grandfather, John Lucas Jones, Jr.
Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778325245, Mass Market Paperback)

"Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave."

Prepared to accept that Edward's death was due to a longstanding physical infirmity, Julia is outraged when Brisbane visits and suggests that Sir Edward has been murdered. It is a reaction she comes to regret when she discovers the damning paper for herself, and realizes the truth.

Determined to bring her husband's murderer to justice, Julia engages the enigmatic Brisbane to help her investigate Edward's demise. Dismissing his warnings that the investigation will be difficult, if not impossible, Julia presses forward, following a trail of clues that lead her to even more unpleasant truths, and ever closer to a killer who waits expectantly for her arrival.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

"These ominous words, slashed from the pages of a book of Psalms, are the last threat that the darling of London society, Sir Edward Grey, receives from his killer. Before he can show them to Nicholas Brisbane, the private inquiry agent he has retained for his protection, Sir Edward collapses and dies at his London home, in the presence of his wife, Julia, and a roomful of dinner guests. Prepared to accept that Edward's death was due to a long-standing physical infirmity, Julia is outraged when Brisbane visits and suggests that Sir Edward has been murdered. It is a reaction she comes to regret when she discovers the damning paper for herself, and realizes the truth"--Book description.… (more)

Deanna Raybourn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible