The Wedding Officer: A Novel (Bantam…

The Wedding Officer: A Novel (Bantam Discovery) (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Anthony Capella

Member:fkhamer
Title:The Wedding Officer: A Novel (Bantam Discovery)
Authors:Anthony Capella
Info:Bantam Discovery (2008), Paperback, 448 pages

The Wedding Officer by Anthony Capella (2006)

English (21)  Finnish (1)  All languages (22)
I enjoyed this story of Italy during WWII told from a point of view I had never explored before. Great for foodies! The love story is a little predictable and some of the action scenes are not believeable but I actually learned a lot and read this book quickly. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
1944 Naples. Captain James Gould is assigned to discourage marriages between British soldiers and Italian women. He begins his job with good intentions and wants to strictly follow his orders--everything black and white. The Italians are used to shades of grey, so this doesn’t go over too well. Then he meets the lovely and talented cook Livia Pertini and he decides to follow his heart. This is a tale of love in the midst of war, a fairly quick read. Oh, and there’s a volcano that erupts too—guess I should have known that since it really happened…

Every time I read a book set in Italy my heart just soars. And the descriptions of the Italian food made me want to jump right on a plane. ( )
  bluebird_ | Jan 16, 2016 |
Captain James Gould is a young British intelligence officer during World War II. He arrives in Naples to take over as “the Wedding Officer” – assigned to discourage marriages between British soldiers and Italian girls. He is young, somewhat innocent, and determined to follow all regulations to the letter. He seems to be succeeding when a young widow arrives as the new Officers’ Mess Cook. Livia Pertini has always cooked in her family’s restaurant/bar in the small village on Mount Vesuvius. Her fiery personality and sumptuous feasts soon distract James from his orders.

This is a delicious novel that begins as a romantic comedy but moves on to give the reader a lesson on the history of the area in 1944. Capella writes with humor and pathos in describing the war-time experiences of the citizens and soldiers trying to survive not only a war but a volcano’s eruption. Capella wrote about real events in and around Naples in 1944, and I’m glad he included the grittier scenes of chaos and destruction. But where he really excels is in writing about the sights, sounds, smells, textures and tastes of the cuisine, and the effects of those scrumptious meals on the human spirit. For example:

He felt a sudden sense that nothing would be the same again. Eve in her garden had bitten an apple. James had eaten an oyster, sitting outside a tiny restaurant overlooking the sea by Sorrento. His undernourished heart swelled in the Italian sunshine like a ripening fig, and he laughed out loud. With a great flood of gratitude he realized that he was having the time of his life.

I was completely caught up in the story from beginning to end. I think I must have gained 10 pounds just reading about the food! It certainly made my mouth water.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I must say the book held what the cover promised. It developed into a girlie story with love and passion and a hero. If at least the food would have played a more dominant role as it did in the author's other book "Food of Love". The book also feels as if it was written in separate parts or if there was some of it added later. The part about the kamasutra broke the flow of the story completely. I asked myself what it contributed.

My rating: An easy read for a holiday at the beach. ( )
  PeterNZ | May 11, 2015 |

In occupied Naples in 1944, twenty-two year old James Gould is the 'Wedding Officer.' He's responsible for discouraging Allied soldiers from marrying local women. He takes his job seriously and is very good at it - until the locals conspire for him to hire a local girl as his cook.
Livia Pertini swallows her rancor for the Allies she blames for killing her husband and goes to work to support her family. Not only is Livia a remarkable cook, she's also very beautiful, and slowly, under her influence, James stops worrying so much about war brides , black marketeering, and mafia corruption to concentrate on Livia. Has his heart become more important than his orders? The eruption of Vesuvius while Livia is with her family triggers a dizzying series of events that will answer that question once and for all...

In the sumptuous tradition of Chocolat, here is a tantalizing tale of culinary delight, romantic passion, and Italy in all its splendor.

In the sumptuous tradition of Chocolat and Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and already optioned for a major motion picture, comes a magical tale of romantic passion, culinary delight—and Italy.

Captain James Gould arrives in wartime Naples assigned to discourage marriages between British soldiers and their gorgeous Italian girlfriends. But the innocent young officer is soon distracted by an intoxicating young widow who knows her way around a kitchen...Livia Pertini is creating feasts that stun the senses with their succulence—ruby-colored San Marzana tomatoes, glistening anchovies, and delectable new potatoes encrusted with the black volcanic earth of of Campania—and James is about to learn that his heart may rank higher than his orders. For romance can be born of the sweet and spicy passions of food and love—and time spent in the kitchen can be as joyful and exciting as the banquet of life itself!

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:38 -0400)

Sent to occupied Naples in 1943 to dissuade Allied officers from marrying their Italian girlfriends, British officer James Gould suffers from a limited menu of fried Spam fritters and warmed-up rations, until a beautiful country girl joins the officers' staff as a cook.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,498,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible