Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival,…

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption (2010)

by Laura Hillenbrand

Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides (phm)
    phm: Nonfiction but reads like fiction and tells of a heroic plot by US Rangers to rescue Allied soldiers from a Japanese POW camp.
    The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir Rawicz (clif_hiker)
    The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown (terran)
    terran: Both books deal with participants in the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin and with personal stories of individuals growing up in that time period. Both are incredible true stories that read like fiction.
    Tears in the Darkness: The Story of the Bataan Death March and Its Aftermath by Michael Norman (TooBusyReading)
    TooBusyReading: Another remarkable story about survival during WWII, about what humans can do to one another.
    A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead (srdr)
    srdr: A well-told story with similar themes…WW II survival, friendship under difficult conditions.
    We die alone by David Howarth (srdr)
    srdr: Jan Baalsrud's incredible survival and escape from Nazi-occupied arctic Norway.
    The Forgotten 500: The Untold Story of the Men Who Risked All for the Greatest Rescue Mission of World War II by Gregory A. Freeman (HistoryNutToo)
    Flyboys: A True Story of Courage by James Bradley (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: both examine prisoners of the Pacific islands
    Devil at My Heels: A Heroic Olympian's Astonishing Story of Survival as a Japanese POW in World War II by Louis Zamperini (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Louis Zamperini's autobiography published in 2003, with intro by John McCain.
    What It Is Like to Go to War by Karl Marlantes (TooBusyReading)
    TooBusyReading: Based on the author's experiences, starting with the Vietnam war. Gave me lots of insight into war and warriors.
    Frozen in Time: An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff (srdr)
    srdr: A gripping, non-fiction story of a WW II airplane crash on Greenland.
    Once Upon a Town by Bob Greene (cransell)
    cransell: An uplifting true story about World War II. Perhaps a good read after the harsh experiences in Unbroken.
    Road to Valor: A True Story of WWII Italy, the Nazis, and the Cyclist Who Inspired a Nation by Aili McConnon (sboyte)
    sboyte: Athletes and their experiences in the second World War.

This book is phenomenal on so many levels. For me, it was most important in teaching me how the Pacific theater was just as important a part of Word War II as was Europe. It educated me and astounded me regarding the cruelty that man is capable of perpetrating upon others.

Oddly, it led me to the Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, Virginia, because I wanted to see the airplanes that were described in this biography. At the museum, I did not see the B-24 nor the B-28 described in this book, but I did see the Enola Gay, the B-29 which dropped the nuclear bomb on Hiroshima. I sit back and recoil in horror thinking about my family who burned in the crematoria of Auschwitz, but now I am also mortified at the cruelty of the Japanese to our American prisoners of war and to what lengths Americans went to stop the war.

I was thoroughly amazed at Louis Zamperini. I simply cannot understand how he survived all that he did and continued to still be active and happy well into his nineties. He died of pneumonia at age 97. His story was tremendously inspirational.

I am impressed with Laura Hillenbrand's ability to tell a compelling story. She writes with a flair for imparting knowledge and curiosity to her readers. I cannot wait to see what subject she picks for her next book because I also found her book Seabiscuit truly fascinating. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jul 12, 2015 |
Excellent -- so glad I read the book before the movie. I am so grateful for the men and women who gave their lives for freedom during World War II. ( )
  Graceenough | Jul 12, 2015 |
Fascinating story, but went on too long for me. The author had so many facts, it seemed to be difficult to weave them into a readable story without it becoming a historical journal. Amazing story of strength and resilience and overcoming the odds. ( )
  earthsinger | Jul 12, 2015 |
I found the first few chapters extremely gripping. The way it is written you get into the shoes of the protagonist and see his life pass by. You feel you're there when he's living his childhood.

Then the chapters on military bombings were intoxicating. I stopped reading and wondered about how life must have been like. She has written in such a fantastic way that you feel you're right there living with the character and experiencing all these things. It feels natural.

Read Part1 of the book. Had to stop reading because of high work pressure and then didn't get into it again.. ( )
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
The ideal way to read “Unbroken” would be with absolutely no knowledge of how Mr. Zamperini’s life unfolded. Ms. Hillenbrand has written her book so breathlessly, and with such tight focus, that she makes it difficult to guess what will happen to him from one moment to the next, let alone how long he was able to survive under extreme duress...So “Unbroken” is a celebration of gargantuan fortitude, that of both Ms. Hillenbrand (whose prose shatters any hint of her debilitating fatigue) and Mr. Zamperini’s. It manages to be as exultant as “Seabiscuit” as it tells a much more harrowing, less heart-warming story.

Laura Hillenbrandprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Herrmann, EdwardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What stays with you latest and deepest? of curious panics,
Of hard-fought engagements or sieges tremendous what
deepest remains?

--Walt Whitman, "The Wound-Dresser"
For the wounded and the lost.
All he could see, in every direction, was water.

This book is an eye-opening and awe-inspiring tale told about the horror of war and the challenges that some of the men had to endure. Featuring Louis Zamperini, this book describes some of the terror he had to experience as a POW to the Japanese in WWII.

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared--Lt. Louis Zamperini. Captured by the Japanese and driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humor.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,441,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible