In Fire Forged by David Weber

In Fire Forged

by David Weber (Author)

Other authors: Jane Lindskold (Contributor), Andy Presby (Contributor), Timothy Zahn (Contributor)

Series: Worlds of Honor (5), Honor Harrington Universe (Anthology)

158None74,855 (3.65)2

Three (or four) stories - the stars are almost entirely for the third. The first one - Ruthless by Megan Lindholm - is good but slight. "How Prince Michael proposed to Judith", with complications of (incompetent) political plots and kidnapping. The bad guys are so totally outclassed that it's no fight. The second, An Act of War by Timothy Zahn, is mostly annoying - I dislike manipulators and unreliable narrators, and the protagonist (not hero!) is both. I have no idea, even at the end, who Charles actually was or who he was fighting for - anti-Haven, probably, but that's about it. I do expect him to show up in the Honorverse somewhere, spinning a plot... The third story, Let's Dance! by Weber, is an early Honor - the oft-referred to dealing with the Audubon Ballroom in Silesia. Politics, action, fighting slavers, and Honor - in all senses of the word. Excellent. Then there's a "fact" article by Andy Presby (presented as a magazine article by a retired yard dog off Hephastus), about ship's armor in the Honorverse - the physical structure and historical reasons for what and why and how it's made and used. Mildly interesting - people who spend time debating throw-weight of missiles and ships' accelerations would probably love it. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 29, 2013 |
Interesting stories, but I could not shake the feeling I had read at least a portion of longest one. Might just be over familiarity with the subject... ( )
  Guide2 | Sep 4, 2012 |
Three novellas, one by David Weber and two by well-known sci-fi authors. Weber's entry focuses on an event early in Honor's career during one of her first outings as captain of the somewhat elderly warship, the HMS Hawkwing - suffice it to say, it involves the Sillies, politics, terrorists, and slavers. The level of technical detail Weber includes is, as always, occasionally a chore to wade through (but I've never found skimming those bits to impinge much on the quality of the story!).

Characters in the other two stories are familiar if you've read much withing the Honor-verse, and it's always a treat to catch up with them again.

Well done on all counts, I just wish I didn't always feel obligated to consult a character map and timeline when I haven't picked up an Honor book in a while. ( )
  SunnySD | May 16, 2011 |
I am becoming quite partial to Jane Lindskold's 'Winton' stories, and apart from the atrocious pun in the title, the one here is a nice addition, although one that was telegraphed by the mainstream stories.

Timothy Zahn's 'Charles' is becoming an interesting recurring character, and one remembers that the last recurring character we saw in the Anthologies was Victor Cachat. Perhaps Charles is bound for greater things.

Weber's own "Let's Dance" fills in another bit of Honor's past - I think there's only one missing, now - and introduces the Ballroom. I'm not sure the continuity works as well as it should, and some of the characterisations seem out.

The tech dump on Armour and Missiles is interesting and well written, with some entertaining footnotes. Nothing jars, and I just hope that it's the proper version, unlike the dump we got in "More than Honor".

All in all, a nice set, but as another reviewer put it, nothing vital. ( )
  michaelbirks | May 7, 2011 |
Read two out of the three. ( )
  ElizabethAnnS | Feb 12, 2011 |

Weber, DavidAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lindskold, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Presby, AndyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zahn, TimothyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sharon, Megan, Morgan, and Mikey.
For putting up with Daddy.
Gone. Her child was gone.

This collection of stories includes an all-new Honor Harrington adventure, set in her younger years, along with stories by Jane Lindskold and Timothy Zahn.

59 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible