The Villa Triste by Lucretia W. Grindle

The Villa Triste (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Lucretia W. Grindle (Author)

Member:LindsaysLibrary
Title:The Villa Triste
Authors:Lucretia W. Grindle (Author)
Info:Pan Publishing (2011), 400 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Villa Triste by Lucretia Grindle (2011)

The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian (karen_o)
    Het vergeten gezicht by Elle van Rijn (sneuper)
    sneuper: Both books mix a wartime lovestory with a present-day mystery. The wartime lovestory enfolds throughout the book en gives clues about the mystery that has to be solved.

English (11)  Dutch (3)  All languages (14)
A great story and a good read. The suspense lasts right to the end of the book. There are (I'm informed by an Italian speaker) a plethora of annoying errors in the Italian words, sentences and expressions sprinkled through the book, the most pervasive of which is the nickname of Isabella. In Italy the short form of Isabella is "Isa", "Issa" means "heave-ho" in a maritime sense, which strikes Italians as distinctly odd. But even that isn't enough to spoil the story. ( )
  muumi | Jan 19, 2019 |
No other historical fiction novel has grabbed my attention like that of Lucretia Grindle's "Villa Triste." Grindle expertly intertwines contemporary mystery with historical fiction set in a location that many novels about World War II do not touch on as heavily. Set in Italy during the Nazi occupation, readers are told the gripping story of two sisters, one on the brink of marriage and both quickly forced to make decisions impacting the present day murder investigation of a local partisan hero. Grindle weaves the present day and the past in a way that continually captivated me, with an ending that left me thinking about the Cammaccio sisters, and the trials of so many others during that time, long after I turned the last page. Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog. ( )
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This is more than a "summer read" as the book description says. I really enjoyed the story and the writing style of this writer. I will look for other books by her. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book! It is full of mystery, intrigue, history and romance. The setting is set in gorgeous Italy during the war where heartbreak mounts at every corner. I have had a hard time getting friends and family to read, but if you are patient, you will hopefully love this book as much as I did. ( )
  heathermjones | Aug 3, 2015 |
I've been renewing this library book for at least three months now. Always resisting actually reading it because it was a doorstopper at 629 pages. I actually found it an amazingly fast read once I took the plunge and I'm very glad I read it. Story of two sisters in the Italian partisan/resistance movement mixed with the modern-day murders of two old men who were partisan heroes. Sounds a lot like the Bohjalian book I just read, doesn't it? But this one was a lot better.

And I didn't complain about the editing even once! I actually believed all 629 pages were worth reading; can't remember the last time I've said that. ( )
1 vote karen_o | Dec 3, 2013 |
Lucretia Grindle has explored Tuscany's dark, disturbing soul and delved into an equally foreboding chapter of its history to distil a complex, enthralling thriller.
Unravelling a case as labyrinthine as the Florentine back streets is intrepid detective Alessandro Pallioti who has only one guide to lead him through the maze, Caterina's diary. With three bodies on his hands, including a fabled resistance leader, the insightful Pallioti is convinced the motives for the killings date back more than 65 years. The journal takes our policeman to the eponymous Villa Triste, loosely translated, "the sad house", a property with tragedy engrained in its fabric.
Carefully crafted with an authentic and compelling dialogue, Grindle saves her best story-weaving to the thrilling denouement that creates a surprise as unexpected and delicious as the finest Florentine cuisine.
added by sneuper | editExpress.co.uk, Stuart Winter (Aug 20, 2010)

Unusually for war fiction, this novel revolves almost entirely around women and their part in resisting the Nazi-Fascist alliance.
Telling her story through the contrived method of a journal which reads, unfortunately, as if it has been written by a novelist some decades after events, Grindle counterpoints the war-time story – which for all its artifice is truly compelling – with a modern-day tale.
While there are distinct flaws in this novel, foremost that Italy itself never comes alive in Grindle’s hands, and her heroines feel more American or British than Italian, The Villa Triste is nevertheless an engrossing and thoughtful thriller, plotted more tightly than Houdini’s knots, and emotionally powerful. Markedly more at ease in the contemporary chapters than in the past, one of Grindle’s distinguishing skills is characterisation and dialogue. And although for some the denouement may not come as a great surprise, this story overall is exhilarating. It is also, of course, profoundly sad – or triste, as they say in Florence.
added by sneuper | editThe Herald, Rosemary Goring (Jul 28, 2010)

Lucretia Grindleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peterzon-Kotte, SaskiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Susan en Darce
mijn eigen Isabella's
My wedding dress slid over my head, the ivory satin cool and slippery.

Florence, 1943. Two sisters, Isabella and Caterina Cammaccio, find themselves surrounded by terror and death; and with Italy trapped under the heel of a brutal Nazi occupation, bands of Partisans rise up. Soon Isabella and Caterina will test their wits and deepest beliefs as never before. As the winter grinds on, they will be forced to make the most important decisions of their lives. Their choices will reverberate for decades. In the present day, Alessandro Pallioti, a senior policeman agrees to oversee a murder investigation, after it emerges the victim was once a Partisan hero. When the case begins to unravel, Pallioti finds himself working to uncover a crime lost in the twilight of war, the consequences of which are as deadly today as they were over sixty years ago.

When two sisters are forced to make impossible decisions while living under the brutal Nazi occupation of Italy, their actions set off a chain of events that ultimately impact a murder investigation sixty years later.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,555,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible