Fatal Error by J. A. Jance

Fatal Error

by J. A. Jance

Fatal Error by J. A Jance is a 2011 Touchtone Books publication.

I will admit after reading Beaumont and Brady novels for so long the Ali Reynolds series didn't make a big impression on me at first. It was OK, but nothing like the other two series. However, after reading the next 2 book is the series, I found myself feeling excited about touching base with Ali again.

This sixth book has Ali looking forward to a new chapter in her life. She has a new boyfriend, she is about to become a grandmother, and is training to be a cop. However, when an old acquaintance looks her up out the blue asking for help with a background check on a shady online boyfriend, Ali agrees to help her out. But, Ali never dreamed she would find herself in the smack dab middle of a collision between her old friend, B. Simpson, the FBI, military drones, and a greedy and twisted killer.

I love how Ali never rest on her laurels when she could take life at her leisure. I admired her courage to go through the police academy even though she was a few years older than the average recruit. She always challenges herself and refuses to allow her difficult past to dictate her future. I loved touching base with the Arizona crowd I've come to know and love as well, although some characters really were in the background in this one. I am also happy to see the blog Ali spent so much time on the first two books, has slowly died out. I didn't really miss it and the stories flow much more evenly now as a result.
This mystery was very different from anything Ali has dealt with previously and although she was not officially a cop, she showed she has what it takes to be a great investigator. Drones are a very hot topic these days and Jance may have actually been a few years ahead of time with this one. A very interesting take on the use of drones and one we should certainly be paying attention to.

I do think that I am warming up to Ali more and more each time I read a book from this series and I am dying to see what she will get up to next. 4 stars ( )
  gpangel | May 14, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
Synopsis: Ali Reynolds has completed the six-week course to become a police officer, but the economy keeps her out of uniform. However, that doesn’t keep her from becoming embroiled in a murder mystery that has her running all over the country tracking down clues. This multifaceted story begins with the unexpected arrival of an old acquaintance who requests Ali’s help in locating her fiancé and ends with multiple police and FBI involvement.
Review: This was an enjoyable read with lots of interesting character studies. Throughout you wondered if the ‘bad guy’ would or would not get away. While I like most of the characters in this book, the boyfriend still seems rather lame, probably because he goes by B. rather than his actual name. ( )
  DrLed | Nov 4, 2013 |
It's been a while since I read a JA Jance novel, and I don't know if my memory of previous novels is just overlaid with uncritical rosy delight or if this newish one is more simplistic than the ones I recall. Sure seemed more simplistic. But the suspense holds well, the characters have a bit of depth, the villain is suitably evil and grotesque... ( )
  jarvenpa | Mar 31, 2013 |
I like the character of Alie Reynolds. She's passed through the police academy but because of budget cuts wasn't picked for the force. She is asked for help by a friend who has been in an internet relationship with man to look into his situation since she believes he's missing. The man is scamming a bunch of women as a hobby while working at illegal off the books computer programming. Alie's friend is missing, there's a murder or two, a busybody neighbor's help, a local cop, a retired cop, Alie's boyfriend's security firm's help all before she becomes a grandmother. ( )
  Kathy89 | Aug 18, 2012 |
For Pat S.
Get on the ground, Ali Reynolds ordered.

When Brenda Riley, a colleague from Ali's old news broadcasting days in California, shows up in town with an alcohol problem and an unlikely story about a missing fiancé, Ali reluctantly agrees to help. The man posing as Brenda's fiancé is revealed to be Richard Lowensdale, a cyber-sociopath who has left a trail of broken hearts in his virtual wake. When he is viciously murdered, the police soon focus their investigation on Brenda.… (more)

11 wanted1 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,916,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible