Fatal Error by J. A. Jance

Fatal Error

by J. A. Jance

Computer dating takes a new twist, in Jance’s “Fatal Error”. Richard Lowensdale is a despicable man who preys on vulnerable women in an online dating scam. Using fake names he has several fiancés around the country until he becomes bored with their particular neurosis and cuts loose, usually dropping them right after he has had them pick out their engagement rings. When he is murdered and several of his girl friends suddenly show up at the same time to check on him, there are suspects aplenty.
The protagonist, wealthy widow, former Los Angeles TV news anchor and aspiring cop, Ali Reynolds finds herself smack in the middle of the investigation when a former colleague, now down-on-her-luck recovering alcoholic, Brenda Riley goes missing. Brenda had been the target of Lowensdale’s particular cyber-sociopathic behavior and was in the process of writing an exposé to blow the lid off his cover. Using her boyfriend’s security company to gather behind-the-scenes information, Reynolds teams up with over-worked homicide detective Gil Morris to ferret out the truth behind her friend’s disappearance and the death of Lowensdale.
“Fatal Error” takes us beyond just cyber-stalking to the warped mind of a victim of the Bosnian wars who applies her own sociopathic skills to gain untold wealth by dealing with cartel criminals in the drug-smuggling wars of the Mexican borders. As Reynolds and Morris discover the depths of depravity, it all boils over as they find themselves stumbling into the middle of an FBI sting in San Diego. Can they rescue Riley before she gives the ultimate sacrifice in reporting a news story, in which she has become the unwitting pawn? ( )
  MarkPSadler | Jan 17, 2016 |
I always enjoy J.A. Jance's books, partly because of the likable characters and partly because of the fast pacing. If I had to criticize, it'd be that lately, with her Ali Reynolds books, she's been almost too topical. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Fatal Error by J. A Jance is a 2011 Touchtone Books publication.

I will admit after reading Beaumont and Brady novels for so long the Ali Reynolds series didn't make a big impression on me at first. It was OK, but nothing like the other two series. However, after reading the next 2 book is the series, I found myself feeling excited about touching base with Ali again.

This sixth book has Ali looking forward to a new chapter in her life. She has a new boyfriend, she is about to become a grandmother, and is training to be a cop. However, when an old acquaintance looks her up out the blue asking for help with a background check on a shady online boyfriend, Ali agrees to help her out. But, Ali never dreamed she would find herself in the smack dab middle of a collision between her old friend, B. Simpson, the FBI, military drones, and a greedy and twisted killer.

I love how Ali never rest on her laurels when she could take life at her leisure. I admired her courage to go through the police academy even though she was a few years older than the average recruit. She always challenges herself and refuses to allow her difficult past to dictate her future. I loved touching base with the Arizona crowd I've come to know and love as well, although some characters really were in the background in this one. I am also happy to see the blog Ali spent so much time on the first two books, has slowly died out. I didn't really miss it and the stories flow much more evenly now as a result.
This mystery was very different from anything Ali has dealt with previously and although she was not officially a cop, she showed she has what it takes to be a great investigator. Drones are a very hot topic these days and Jance may have actually been a few years ahead of time with this one. A very interesting take on the use of drones and one we should certainly be paying attention to.

I do think that I am warming up to Ali more and more each time I read a book from this series and I am dying to see what she will get up to next. 4 stars ( )
  gpangel | May 14, 2015 |
For Pat S.
Get on the ground, Ali Reynolds ordered.

When Brenda Riley, a colleague from Ali's old news broadcasting days in California, shows up in town with an alcohol problem and an unlikely story about a missing fiancé, Ali reluctantly agrees to help. The man posing as Brenda's fiancé is revealed to be Richard Lowensdale, a cyber-sociopath who has left a trail of broken hearts in his virtual wake. When he is viciously murdered, the police soon focus their investigation on Brenda.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,611,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible