Sacred Treason by James Forrester

Sacred Treason

by James Forrester

3.5 Stars ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
This is the first of a trilogy so no wonder the ending did not make too much sense: quite frankly though, I didn't care. I thought Catholics and mysterious texts in cryptic diaries in Elizabethan England would be a good read. I was wrong. ( )
  adpaton | Nov 6, 2014 |
More of a 2.5. Happened to pick this one up while library browsing last week. As a former librarian, the mysterious book and its connection to a possible plot against Elizabeth I was intriguing. Tudor era novels generally do not interest me, but I felt this would be an exception. It was too long, wordy, and the author could have cut it in half and still had a good story.

Henry Makyn, a friend of the protagonist, William Harley, Clarenceaux, comes one night to his house and asks him to guard his chronicle. This spirals Clarenceaux into political intrigue. There's a plot afoot against the government [Elizabeth I]; what is the meaning of the dates in the chronicle and who are the 'knights of the round table'? Makyn is slain by Elizabeth's spymaster, Walsingham, and his henchman. Makyn's widow Rebecca and Clarenceaux puzzle out meanings and the last part of the book is a race between the 'goodies' and the 'baddies' to gain possession of the chronicle and unmask the plot. The denouement was completely unexpected.

The novel was slow and talky all the way through, and picked up only towards the last 1/3. It was a challenge to force myself to keep reading. I liked best how the meaning hidden in the chronicle was puzzled out. The characters were nothing outstanding; in fact the completely platonic relationship between Clarenceaux and Rebecca was very improbable. Their sleeping in the same bed and nothing happening? Come on, these two must have been saints.

Those folks who enjoy Elizabethan thrillers may enjoy this book, but it was not really up my alley. ( )
  janerawoof | Sep 8, 2014 |
Great Read; combines historical detail with an interesting story line and characters. Looking for more from this author! ( )
  bkoftheyardsjon | Mar 22, 2013 |
If a man's faith is his enemy,
There is no refuge anywhere.
To Zak Reddan, the kindest man in the world:   7,443 days since we met.  None wasted.
Tuesday, December 7, 1563
It was a cold day for a killing.
James Forrester is a pseudonym for Ian Mortimer

1563: Anyone could be a suspect; any Catholic could be accused of plotting against the throne. Clarenceux keeps his head down and his religion quiet. But when a friend desperately pleads with Clarenceux to hide a manuscript for him, he is drawn into a web of treachery and conspiracy he may never untangle. Is there no refuge if your faith is your enemy?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,502,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible