dismiss

The Moor's Last Sigh (1995)

by Salman Rushdie

Winner of England's prestigious Whitbread Ward, Rushdie's first novel in seven years is a peppery melange of genres: a deliciously inventive family saga; a subversive alternate history of modern India; a fairy tale as inexhaustibly imagined as any in The Arabian Nights; and a book of ideas on topics from art to ethnicity, from religious fanaticism to the terrifying power of love.… (more)
    Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (wrmjr66)
    wrmjr66: I think The Moor's Last Sigh is Rushdie's best book since Midnight's Children.

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
A shaggy, mothers-in-law tale, a mythic history of the Indian criminal-industrial underbelly, a family saga of East-West, Portuguese-Moorish infiltrations. Silly word games. A complete oeuvre of paintings brushed over (in words) by Rushdie. A final trip to Granada, Spain.
Rushdie, as usual, is too, too much. He drops in new characters, makes abrupt shifts, skips in geography, and invents new layers of fiction. Nothing is final, nothing decided. Except the ending.
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
For me, this book is pretty much perfect. A detailed multi-generational family saga, beautifully written, with magical realism, a little humor, and a lot of intelligence. Once I started on it, I couldn’t really make time for any other books. This was my first Rushdie, and now I’m looking forward to reading his other books from the 1001books list. ( )
  sprainedbrain | May 13, 2018 |
I really enjoyed the first three quarters of this family saga. Rushdie is unbelievably clever and, unfortunately, he knows it. The significance of the characters in the last quarter got lost on me. Perhaps I need to know more about Indian history and culture. Still mostly a joy. ( )
  ghefferon | Feb 10, 2018 |
Not easy to read as the tricks that Rushdie provides in the language and the magical realistic form make it like a heavy but nutritious meal!
I read this before going to Kerala--Cochin in 2016 and it added a dimension that was welcome. ( )
  MarthaSpeirs | Nov 13, 2016 |
Everyone has their favorite Rushdie, and this was mine. It was also my first. Back then it dug deep, left me with vivid imageries of a marred and deceptive world of relationships recounted through the memories of a fabulously flawed and hapless narrator.
Every now and then I like to return to that time when magical realism was still left untouched, and I was still impressionable enough to be awed by Rushdie's lyrical mysticism. While tempted, I dare not read the book again. It just won't be the same. ( )
  perhapstoopink | Sep 25, 2016 |
So, another brave and dazzling fable from Salman Rushdie, one that meets the test of civic usefulness -- broadly conceived -- as certainly as it fulfills the requirements of true art. No retort to tyranny could be more eloquent.

'Such surreal images, combined with the author's fecund language and slashing sleight of hand make it easy, in Mr. Rushdie's words, "not to feel preached at, to revel in the carnival without listening to the barker, to dance to the music" without seeming to hear the message in the glorious song.'
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Michiko Kakutani (Dec 28, 1995)

Salman Rushdieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dabekaussen, EugèneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maters, TillyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
For E.J.W.
I have lost count of the days that have passed since I fled the horrors of Vasco Miranda's mad fortress in the Andalusian mountain-village of Benengeli; ran from death under cover of darkness and left a message nailed to the door.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,271,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible