The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie

The Moor's Last Sigh (original 1995; edition 2006)

by Salman Rushdie

Member:PaulCranswick
Title:The Moor's Last Sigh
Authors:Salman Rushdie
Info:Vintage (2006), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Modern Fiction, To read

The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie (1995)

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (wrmjr66)
    wrmjr66: I think The Moor's Last Sigh is Rushdie's best book since Midnight's Children.

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
A pretty entertaining story -- some truly unlikable characters, but that was part of the point. Many of the books I read shortly after 9/11 had things that reminded me of that day. This one had Muslims, buildings being destroyed -- it's jarring. One thing that he said, that really stood out for me and was a good thing to hear at that time, had to do with getting past fear. "I stopped being afraid because, if my time on earth was limited, I didn't have seconds to spare for funk ... I must live until I die." ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
I enjoyed Salman Rushdie's "The Moor's Last Sigh" -- and since it's the only Rushdie novel I've ever read it didn't suffer by comparison to his much-lauded prior book, "Midnight's Children," which apparently has a similar setting and appears to be generally preferred over this one.

"The Moor's Last Sigh" is the story of the Zogoiby family -- ruled over by a self-involved matriarch Aurora, an artist of some importance in her corner of India. The narrator of her book is her son Moor, who tells the story of several generations of his family, who are all pretty hell-bent on destroying themselves.

I really enjoyed Rushdie's use of language- he is a clever and entertaining writer. The story is mostly compelling too. I also felt it was a little too sprawling at times and wished it would wander back on over to the point. I definitely will read more books by Rushdie, based on my experience with this one. ( )
  amerynth | Jul 17, 2014 |
This is another hard book to rate and review. Rushdie is a smart, ingenious and purposeful writer. Everything is cleverly thought out and his use of language is magical. He bends the words with ease and brings out richer meanings. The plot is an original story that unfolds as a series of riddles to a satirical account of modern India.

Yet, in spite of all that, the book did not click with me.

The characters remain puppets. As exotic cartoons they act out a sort of fable that sometimes appears without direction. The novel seems another example of what is by now a well-established genre in the literature of the subcontinent, that of magical allegories of the history of its Independence. Rushdie may have been the pioneer of this trend with his “Midnight Children”. I preferred the earlier novel.

In this genre I also liked Shashi Tharoor's [b:The Great Indian Novel|30843|The Great Indian Novel|Shashi Tharoor|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1168143889s/30843.jpg|2777439], in which he mixes the Mahabharata with the account of the Partition.

Since Rushdies’s Enchantress of Florence is on my bookshelves anyway, I will certainly read one more of his books and hopefully will like it better.

But here is a brilliant review of the Moor that does the book better justice:

KalliopeMuse | Apr 2, 2013 |
Every time I read one of Rushdie's novels I come away enlightened and amazed, and certainly reading the literary masterpiece The Moor's Last Sigh is no exception.

Perhaps one of Rushdie's more accessible novels, the story follows a more conventional narrative, although to call anything Rushdie writes conventional is inaccurate. In this case the story follows a family history, that of the Zoigoby clan, which takes us into Jewish, Moorish, Spanish and Indian heritage, illuminating perfections and defects of the body, mind and spirit. There is very much a theme of isolation of spirit and intellect in this novel, of loneliness despite crowded and intimate environments. In conjunction with that Rushdie marries political unrest to to restless spirits, so that both microcosmic and macrocosmic time flow around and through each other, so that one has a sense of a ship tossed upon a boundless sea.

As always there is a fluid and adept use of language and phraseology that defies every literary convention, and in doing so creates breathtaking art. One comes away wanting to memorize phrases for their utter beauty and sagacity. But let it not be thought this is a novel only of high art, for certainly throughout the story Rushdie's irreverent and incisive wit prevail, so that at times I caught myself bursting into laughter.

I would have to say that if a person is new to Rushdie's work, The Moor's Last Sigh would be a perfect introduction.

Highly recommended, and certainly a novel that should be a staple in anyone's library. ( )
  fiverivers | Oct 7, 2012 |
I'm not up to this one--read 181 pp out of some 500--a crowd of characters, generations of families, and their odd characteristics. Told, not involving--couldn’t latch on to it. ( )
  pollyfrontier | Jul 21, 2009 |
So, another brave and dazzling fable from Salman Rushdie, one that meets the test of civic usefulness -- broadly conceived -- as certainly as it fulfills the requirements of true art. No retort to tyranny could be more eloquent.

'Such surreal images, combined with the author's fecund language and slashing sleight of hand make it easy, in Mr. Rushdie's words, "not to feel preached at, to revel in the carnival without listening to the barker, to dance to the music" without seeming to hear the message in the glorious song.'
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Michiko Kakutani (Dec 28, 1995)

Salman Rushdieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dabekaussen, EugèneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maters, TillyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For E.J.W.
I have lost count of the days that have passed since I fled the horrors of Vasco Miranda's mad fortress in the Andalusian mountain-village of Benengeli; ran from death under cover of darkness and left a message nailed to the door.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679744665, Paperback)

In The Moor's Last Sigh Salman Rushdie revisits some of the same ground he covered in his greatest novel, Midnight's Children. This book is narrated by Moraes Zogoiby, aka Moor, who speaks to us from a gravestone in Spain. Like Moor, Rushdie knows about a life spent in banishment from normal society--Rushdie because of the death sentence that followed The Satanic Verses, Moor because he ages at twice the rate of normal humans. Yet Moor's story of travail is bigger than Rushdie's; it encompasses a grand struggle between good and evil while Moor himself stands as allegory for Rushdie's home country of India. Filled with wordplay and ripe with humor, it is an epic work, and Rushdie has the tools to pull it off. He earned a 1995 Whitbread Prize for his efforts.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:11 -0400)

Winner of England's prestigious Whitbread Ward, Rushdie's first novel in seven years is a peppery melange of genres: a deliciously inventive family saga; a subversive alternate history of modern India; a fairy tale as inexhaustibly imagined as any in The Arabian Nights; and a book of ideas on topics from art to ethnicity, from religious fanaticism to the terrifying power of love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,323,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible