Seducing the Duchess by Ashley March

Seducing the Duchess (edition 2010)

by Ashley March

KOBO
KINDLE
SONY
  Talthor | Oct 19, 2013 |
Ashley March’s debut novel features a particular theme I really enjoy: second chances. When done right, it can be very satisfying to see two lovers come back to each other. I can say that Ashley March does it well.

Three years ago, Phillip’s best friend, Ethan, ran off with Phillip’s fiancée. In revenge, Phillip wooed and married Ethan’s younger sister, Charlotte. Phillip and Charlotte were friends before he set out for revenge and after one glorious night (their wedding night), Phillip told Charlotte that she was just a pawn and he used her for revenge. Since then, Charlotte has taken her revenge out on the oh-so-proper Phillip by dragging the Rutherford name through the mud with all her scandals. And now she wants a divorce. She can no longer stomach being married to Phillip. But she hasn’t noticed the changes in him, that he’s been trying to win her back. And even when he kidnaps her, she truly doesn’t believe his claims that he’s changed. Can Phillip win his wife’s affections back?

Phillip and Charlotte. Two very wounded people. Two very proud individuals that didn’t want the other to get the upper hand in their unfortunate marriage. I have to admit, I empathized the most with Charlotte. You see, she fell in love with her childhood friend and when she found out he didn’t love her, was only using her, it broke her heart. And it remained broken for three years. Even when Phillip changed the way he acted towards her, she knew better. She knew exactly how good he was at pretending and she had no way of judging if he had really changed or if this was another ruse on his part. So even though Charlotte still doesn’t trust Phillip for the majority of the book, it makes sense and I didn’t feel like she gave in too easily. In cases like this, the hero has to do some major groveling, and I was more than happy with Phillip and his actions.

And Phillip. Here’s a man who knew exactly how much he screwed up and was trying to make things right. Although he still had a ducal attitude about the whole thing, Charlotte more than gave him his comeuppance. And that’s why Seducing the Duchess really worked for me – Charlotte. She’s such a strong character!

I am giving this debut novel a 4 out of 5 and eagerly look forward to Ms. March’s next book. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
This book was just OK. The leading characters were just too angry for me. Charlotte was confused about her feelings for Philip and did the I-love-him-I-hate-him dance throughout the entire book. The conflict was not sufficiently resolved at the end. ( )
  doxiemomx2 | Mar 26, 2011 |
Seducing the Duchess (The Bridal Pleasures) by Ashley March
Historical Romance - Oct. 5th, 2010
5 stars

I often rate how much I enjoy a book by how emotionally involved I was with the 2 main characters. I was dazzled by this author’s story about a Duke who is determined to woo his Duchess even if she fights him at every opportunity! This fresh story was a fun and moving book that readers will love.

Charlotte, Duchess of Rutherford was young and naïve when she was seduced by her husband, Phillip who used his young and beautiful innocent bride in a cold game of revenge against her beloved brother. Charlotte had fallen in love with the man she thought was Phillip. But she that was before he callously left her after their wedding night and scorned her love. Broken hearted but audacious, Charlotte is a strong woman and soon vows to free herself and get her own revenge. She creates scandal after outrageous scandal hoping the unfeeling and dutiful Duke will divorce her and finally let her go.

It is years later and Phillip has come to the appalling realization that he loves his wife. But he knows Charlotte hates him. He longs for her company and is no longer willing to let her escapades go unnoticed. Desperate and starving for her attention, he kidnaps her in public and makes her an shocking proposition. If she will help him find another wife and teach him how to be a good husband, he will grant her a divorce. Phillip plays a deadly gamble and one he is determined to win but his wife isn’t about to lose and she will not let Phillip break her heart again.

I loved this story. At first I wondered if I would like Philip. His past behaviors were reprehensible. But as the author reveals Phillip’s desperate love for Charlotte and his sheer ruthlessness as he pursues her, you can’t help but admire his tenacity and understand why Charlotte cared about him in the past. And slowly I, too, began to care for him. The author also eloquently explains Phillip’s cold upbringing and what formed his character. He was raised to be a proper Duke by his unfeeling grandfather who coldly and brutally shaped him into a carbon copy of himself. Philip begins to realize he doesn’t want to be his grandfather. He wants love and laughter with Charlotte even if that means changing himself. His metamorphosis was enthralling to read. Another thing that makes this book so deliciously wonderful is the feisty and endearing heroine. She doesn’t make life easy for Philip and I adored her fighting spirit as she often out smarts him but also makes him see what is really important in life. Charlotte has such a caring heart and I wanted her to guard her heart from Phillip but as Charlotte learned to love Philip, I couldn't help but care for him too!

This was a sensational read! I became so emotionally involved in the 2 main characters. They were perfect for each other and I will definitely be reading any future books by this fabulously talented new author!! If you are looking for an absorbing story about 2 characters that you really can care about and their adventures along the way, then you will adore this book as much as I did.

Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club ( )
  BookaholicsReviewer | Oct 10, 2010 |
added by AoifeT | editDear Author, Jane (Oct 7, 2010)

To my mother, who never doubted my success or ability, whom I could always trust for her unfailing support and love. I miss you every single moment.

Alisa Tate, 1960-2010
She was exquisite, a sin to be indulged in and never repented.
Truly, she had quite a talent for swearing. He had never known his head resembled a horse's testicle. Rather a fascinating comparison, that.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451232364, Mass Market Paperback)

Love and marriage don't have to be strangers...

Gambling. Carousing. Flirting. Charlotte, Duchess of Rutherford, will do anything to escape her painful marriage and force her husband to divorce her. But when Phillip, Duke of Rutherford, promises a divorce if Charlotte will help him become a better husband for another woman, she wonders if she really wants to lose him...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:26 -0400)

Gambling. Carousing. Flirting. Charlotte, Duchess of Rutherford, will do anything to create a scandal large enough to force her husband to finally petition for a divorce. Once madly in love with Philip, she is now determined to escape from their less than civil marriage and the reminders of his betrayal. Philip Burgess, Duke of Rutherford, is not a man to tolerate regrets. He wed Charlotte for revenge, not for love or convenience, knowing she would come to hate him. But he never expected he would one day find himself craving her attention or desiring her company. Philip is no longer the cold, deceitful man she married years ago. And when he promises Charlotte a divorce if she will help him become a better husband for another woman, she wonders if she truly wants to lose him and if Philip may still possess her heart after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible