The Black Nile: One Man's Amazing…

by Dan Morrison

Member:gregvogl
Title:The Black Nile: One Man's Amazing Journey Through Peace and War on the World's Longest River
Authors:Dan Morrison
Info:Viking Adult (2010), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:africa, travel, Egypt

The Black Nile: One Man's Amazing Journey Through Peace and War on the World's Longest River by Dan Morrison

Not a very well written account of the Author's journey of the length and breadth of the Nile from Uganda to Egypt.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
I received this book as an ARC. It has taken me much longer to review it than I planned, mainly because I simply could not get interested.

Mostly, I found the book irritating. What could have been a really descriptive account of an exciting adventure was, in actual fact, a list of complaints about poor sanitation, poor people, a ravaged environment (caused, according to the author, almost entirely by the "bad" westerners), lack of a boat, lack of transport, lack of sanitation, etc.

My main questions are:

1. Who in their right mind departs for such a place as Sudan, etc., without HAVING THE RIGHT PAPERS for travel? Such a serious lapse makes me question how much experience the author had, notwithstanding his listed previous travel in difficult areas. Sheer stupidity. And to endanger his friend, even worse.

2. Why did he go with a friend who had limited time, no experience to speak of, and an attitude that the poverty of the people they encountered was mostly of their own making and due mainly to laziness? Given the complete lack of facilities and education available to these folks, is it odd they are depleting the forests and overfishing the lakes? What's the next choice? Starve? Hungry people in the present have difficulty understanding conservation, I imagine.

I could go on, but I hate to throw bricks at the author. Sufficient to say, I wouldn't go anywhere less civilized than Paris with him, given his obvious lack of preparation. For Heaven's sake, he at one point mentions that his maps are years out of date. Has he never heard of buying up to date maps, using Google earth to see where he was going, anything?

The miracle is that he wasn't killed through his ignorance.

I hoped to learn a lot about the Nile, an area of personal interest; sorry to say, I didn't.
1 vote MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
I just couldn't get into this book. I made it about halfway through before giving up. There was nothing wrong with it - it just didn't grab me.
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670021989, Hardcover)

A spectacular modern-day adventure along the Nile River from Lake Victoria to the Mediterranean Sea

With news of tenuous peace in Sudan, foreign correspondent Dan Morrison bought a plank-board boat, summoned a childhood friend who'd never been off American soil and set out from Uganda, paddling the White Nile on a quest to reach Cairo-a trip that tyranny and war had made impossible for decades.

Morrison's chronicle is a mashup of travel narrative and reportage, packed with flights into the frightful and the absurd. Through river mud that engulfs him and burning marshlands that darken the sky, he tracks the snarl of commonalities and conflicts that bleed across the Nile valley, bringing to life the waters that connect the hardscrabble fishing villages of Lake Victoria to the floating Cairo nightclubs where headscarved mothers are entertained by gyrating male dancers. In between are places and lives invisible to cable news and opinion blogs: a hidden oil war that has erased entire towns, secret dams that will flood still more and contested borderlands where acts of compassion and ingenuity defy appalling hardship and waste of life. As Morrison dodges every imaginable hazard, from militia gunfire to squalls of sand, his mishaps unfold in strange harmony with the breathtaking range of individuals he meets along the way. Relaying the voices of Sudanese freedom fighters and escaped Ugandan sex slaves, desert tribesmen and Egyptian tomb raiders, The Black Nile culminates in a visceral understanding of one of the world's most elusive hotspots, where millions strive to claw their way from war and poverty to something better-if only they could agree what that something is, whom to share it with, and how to get there.

With the propulsive force of a thriller, The Black Nile is rife with humor, humanity and fervid insight-an unparalleled portrait of a complex territory in profound transition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

A foreign correspondent traces the four-thousand-mile plank-board boat journey he took with an inexperienced childhood friend along the Nile River from Lake Victoria to the Mediterranean Sea, during which he surveyed regional culture and politics.

8 wanted1 pay5 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible