The Dead by Charlie Higson

The Dead

by Charlie Higson

English (17)  French (1)  All languages (18)
The Dead by: Charlie Higson
It's kids V.S zombies and no one is playing nice. I liked this book because it's filled with nail biting action scenes, I would not recommend this book to squeamish people because of the gore. ( )
  Zennon | Feb 22, 2016 |
When a plague turns anyone over the age of sixteen into flesh-craving monsters, a group of teenagers escape from their infested high school and head for London with the hopes of finding a safe haven there.
  lkmuir | Oct 26, 2015 |
Written as a prologue to the first book because the first one was such an unexpected hit it explores the moments straight after infection begins to occur and adds some detail and colour to how the group we read about in the first one got to where they are today. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
The Dead was amazing. It just was. It didn’t matter one iota that we weren’t with the same kids as in The Enemy. I actually enjoyed reading these kids’ stories even more. And I loved these characters so much. So many wonderful and awful and amazing characters.

Full Review: http://ruthreads.tumblr.com/post/111119687140/review-the-dead-by-charlie-higson-... ( )
  cloudynight | Feb 15, 2015 |
Delightfully descriptive! Hooks you from the first page!Didn't want to put this book down! Fast-paced non-stop zombie action! Walking Dead fans of all ages will enjoy this book!

I like a book that grabs me, holds on tight, and will not let go.This is one of those books.

The words are brought to life on the pages.Charlie Higson takes you inside the minds of these characters with an incredible connection. He allows us to step into the minds of some of the characters who are changing into zombies and see what they feel as they are changing, how the disease effects their minds. It is wonderful! Charlie Higson has quickly become one of my go-to authors. I CAN'T wait to read the next book in the series!

I read the first book The Enemy about a year ago. It wasn't fresh in my mind so I couldn't remember exactly what it was all about. This second book The Dead takes us back to the very beginning when everything just started- with a whole different cast of characters.Even though this book takes place before the first book, after reading a few pages, the details of the first book all came flooding back to me. That's just how good of a writer Charlie Higson is. He makes sure you don't forget his stories.

My favorite character in this story had to be Chris Marker. He was a book-lover so of course he is going to be my favorite!

My favorite lines from the book:

...in a funny way the story he was reading became the real world for him, more alive than the world he found himself in when he lifted his eyes from the page, blinking and lost. Real life was nothing more than a tiny interruption to his reading. -Chris Marker ( )
  BookaholicBanter | Nov 6, 2014 |

The disease only affects people sixteen or older. It starts with the symptoms of a cold. Then the skin begins to itch, and spots appear--spots that soon turn into pus-filled boils. But the worst part is the headache, the inner voices that tell you that you need to eat them . . . the young ones.

When the Disaster strikes, the world turns upside down for Ed, Jack, Bam and the other students at Rowhurst School. The parents and older siblings they left back at home are dead--or worse. Once the teachers go on the attack, the kids know it's time to escape and make their way to the city. It's got to be better in London . . .or will it be worse?

Higson's terrifying, utterly compelling prequel to The Enemy introduces an all-new cast of characters and sets the stage for a dramatic third book in the series.

As a disease turns everyone over sixteen into brainless, decomposing, flesh-eating creatures, a group of teenagers head to London. Ed, Jack, Bam and the other students at Rowhurst School learn more about the Disaster, and meet an adult who seems to be immune to the disease.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,989,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible