Late Eclipses (October Daye) by Seanan…

Late Eclipses (October Daye) (edition 2011)

by Seanan McGuire (Author)

Member:kgodey
Title:Late Eclipses (October Daye)
Authors:Seanan McGuire (Author)
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: First Edition, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Review Copies, Unread – Blocked

Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire

Recently added byMaddz, MaraBlaise, ladypembroke, QueenMargot, nwhyte, draecas, ecmross, private library, Bookishsimms

I finished this book in record time, also thanks to a rainy and cold Sunday, but I probably would have kept at it even if the sun had been shining.

This time the threats Toby must face don't just concern people she cares about, but are part of an intricate plot to hurt her: there is a heavy sense of impending doom (or rather, heavier than in previous novels) as Toby must suffer loss upon loss and become more isolated and helpless until the conspirators are able to strike the final blow.

Once more, as already happened in An Artificial Night, she is more than ready to sacrifice her life in order to avoid further harm to others: there is this almost-suicidal quality to her actions that clashes with her undeniable will to survive and the way she fights against foes and obstacles. This dichotomy makes me wonder if it's just a psychological trait or if it's something that goes hand in hand with her changeling (i.e. hybrid) nature. Whatever the reason, it makes for a fascinating character that grows with each new installment, to become more complex and layered.

Contrasting impulses also dominate her emotional attachments, where Toby's yearning for an old flame is at war with a new (and IMHO much more interesting) attraction that plays in a complicated dance that's nothing short of fascinating.

Together with the character-building there is an equally strong world-building that's firmly based in myth and fairy tales intersecting more or less seamlessly with our mundane world: the point of view of these creatures on our modern society offers many opportunities for intelligent humor that in its turn balances quite well the darker overtones of the stories.

For someone who has always been wary of serialized books, I have to admit that I've become an October Daye addict. And no, it's not a complaint....
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
Late Eclipses
4 Stars

When Lily, Lady of the Tea Gardens, and Luna, the Duchess of Shadowed Hills, are both struck down by a mysterious illness, Changeling knight October Daye must race against time not only to find a cure but to capture the culprit before she, herself, pays the ultimate price…

The first three books in the series are solid UF reads, but this installment takes Toby, her friends and her foes to a whole new level. There is some gripping action and suspense as well as a little romantic development (although not as much as I would like in a certain area) and some compelling revelations about Toby and her enigmatic mother, Amandine.

McGuire’s interpretation of faerie lore is a highlight of the series and this book is no exception. The focus in this one is on the fae women who have it in for Toby for one reason or another: the despotic Queen of Mists, the psychotic Rayselline Torquel, and the sociopathic Oleander de Merelands … Of course, the question an everyone’s mind is which one is sick enough to target those closest to Toby.

There is also some excellent character development both in terms of Toby learning more about her fae heritage and in terms of her personal life as the love triangle continues with the amazing Tybalt and the superfluous Connor. When will Toby see what is right in front of her face?!

All in all, the strongest book thus far and there is a definite sense that McGuire is building toward something significant. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
The series continues. Toby now gets to face the consequences of her actions from the previous books.

Primarily her problem is that she killed one of the Firstborn, and the fae don't like being reminded of their own mortality. This is exacerbated when both her high ranked friends start to sicken, and she's accused of aiding in their attacks too. Much to both May and Tybalt's dismay she nearly dies several times before managing to work out what's going on and who is behind it.

This was fun, but it felt short a very much a bridging novel, where the author realises they've got a series that can run, but now needs to set a few foundations that had previously been left speculative. Even if we're not quite sure, Toby now knows who she is and where she came from - it was quite a deux et machina, and I hope will subsequently be more explained. It also suffered from the common problem of having an enemy grandstanding about rather than getting on a doing the sensible thing. Toby spending large amounts of time not thinking clearly also didn't help move the plot along very much, and led to reactive responses, which is always a bit more dull than the protagonist being clever.

Will see how they progress. ( )
  reading_fox | Apr 13, 2017 |
This is deff the book that changed my mind about what this series is about. The writing is still stellar, but the direction that Toby is being taken in makes so much more sense. She is no longer a Fae PI with no direction... She has more of a purpose which gives definition to her actions. Lots of Tybalt which I loved, and too much Conner. Quintin is still growing and it's fun to see. May is introduced in this one too... I think. Can't totally remember, but I feel like this is the one about Toby's Fetch. Either way, much love for this series. I will be seriously put out when I have to wait for a new release. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I love October ( )
  mystic506 | Sep 3, 2016 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend

No good to us: though the wisdom of nature can

Reason it thus and thus, yet nature finds itself

Scourged by the sequent effects: love cools,

Friendship falls off, brothers divide: in

Cities, mutinies; in countries, discord; in

Palaces, treason; and the bond cracked 'twixt son

And father...

-William Shakespeare, King Lear
This book is for Amy.
Everyone should have a fiddler at the crossroads.
The downtown San Francisco Safeway was practically deserted.

"The half-Fae private detective is once again run through the wringer when problems plaguing the San Francisco Fae community strike home on a personal level. First, in an unprecedented, unexpected move, the Queen of the Mists promotes Toby to countess. Given that the Queen hates her, it's quite obviously a trap, but not something Toby can refuse or avoid. Subsequently, several of Toby's closest friends are struck down through poison and illness, and she's accused of murder. Has an enemy from Toby's past resurfaced, or is she losing her mind? Physically, emotionally, and magically drained, faced with tragedy and despair, Toby's forced to deal with the long-hidden truth behind her Fae heritage."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,740,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible