Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4) by…

Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4) (edition 2011)

by Seanan McGuire

Member:willowsmom
Title:Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4)
Authors:Seanan McGuire
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: paperback / softback, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:series, fae

Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire

Toby becomes a duchess. Then has to figure out who killed Lily and is trying to kill Luna. Oleander is killed and Rayseline is shown how whacked out she is. Toby's mom Amandine changes her to her true self and she learns she isn't half Daoine Sidhe. Looking forward to the next in the series! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I picked this book up expecting it to be another mystery of the week entry in the series, but what I found was a surprising development in the overarching plot that kept my heart in my throat but also left me dubious about the possible directions the next book could take.

The plot starts out similarly to the previous entry in the series. Someone close to Toby is in danger. In this case, it’s Lily, and she’s sick, slowly fading out of existence. Over the course of the book, others close to Toby end up sick as well, as it soon becomes clear (this is really not a spoiler, it’s revealed early on) that someone is poisoning them. When Oleander showed up, I nearly groaned at how obvious it felt that she is the one to blame for all of this. But it’s not quite that straight-forward, and there’s also a sub-plot of Toby possibly going crazy….which changelings are known to do in this world. The book then isn’t just about Toby trying to solve the mystery, it’s also about her trying to determine if her blood has doomed her to sink into insanity. This gives the plot enough depth to keep it interesting.

Long-standing characters receive more depth of character development and new ones are added. Toby cotinues to have the wit that keeps the book upbeat even when things are grim.

As for the plot twist, I can’t talk about it much without spoilers. The spoiler free review would be that I am concerned the big overarching plot twist moves things a bit too far into one hero to save us land, which isn’t a fantasy plot I personally usually enjoy. For the spoiler version of this, see the next paragraph.

It is revealed that Toby is not the type of Fae she thought, she is rather a very rare type of Fae. This type of Fae is capable of changing the make-up of their own blood. She can thus morph into more Fae, changeling, or human as she desires. It also turns out her mother is from the first born, which makes her kind of Fae royalty. My issue with this is one of the things I like so much about the series is that Toby lacks the magical powers to the extent the Fae have. She also doesn’t fit into the human world. But she fights for her right to be in the world she chooses to live in, and her value in the Fae world is due to how hard she tries and her brains, not her blood. This plot development feels like it’s making it all about her blood. Her power is due to whose daughter she is, not who she herself is. That’s just not a message I’m as fond of.

Overall, this is an action-packed entry in the series that visits another mystery with enough different sub-plots and twists to keep it interesting. Fans of the series will be surprised by the big overarching plot development toward the end of the book and will be eager to pick up the next one to see where this plot development goes.

Check out my full review, featuring quotes! ( )
  gaialover | Aug 8, 2015 |
I started this book a year or so ago and read it most of the way through. I quit, when Toby Daye, the protagonist, was beaten, exhausted and nearly dead, and was suddenly in a position where she needed to rush off and face down the bad guy. That was a pattern I had seen too often in this series, as a way that the author raised the tension, and I was tired of it. I just didn't have any interest in reading farther.

This time, I finished the book,and I have mixed feelings about the ending. After Toby rushes off into battle, weakened and underprepared, she does not manage to win against all odds due to her strength of will, blind luck, or the like. I don't want to give away a major spoiler, but she actually loses (!), and then her mother, insane and missing for decades, steps in. There are major revelations that follow logically from things in previous volumes. I give McGuire lots of credit for clearly having plotted this out. On the other hand, it does make some major changes in Toby that I'm not sure improve her as a protagonist. Mixed feelings, and I want to see where this goes before I decide what I think about it. ( )
  teckelvik | Feb 9, 2014 |
The first book in the series that really starts addressing the mystery of Toby's mother and the fish incident, and I find myself vastly appreciating Seanan Mcguire's ability to pace a series.

The most common types of series roughly fall into into two categories. There's the stable, loosely linked ones with no set endpoint, just a protagonist and their buddies having adventures and growing or not over time. Or there's the three to five book series with a set endpoint, but each book barely stands alone as a story in and of itself. Series that fall in between - that manage both the set endpoint and the standalone interest - are much rarer, probably because they're having to juggle two different story pacings at once.

I would have to say that this book convinced me that Seanan Mcguire may actually be one of the best writers currently writing that third type of series. Obviously, it will have to wait until she finishes a series that isn't a trilogy to confirm or deny this, but this book got me invested in the short term and long term story in a way that's rare for authors to really pull off. The last book in the series got me interested in what this series can do in a standalone book, but this one got me interested in where this series is going in a way that not many books manage. ( )
  trouthe | Sep 23, 2013 |
Late Eclipses (October Daye Series #4) RATING: 4 stars.

This one was actually pretty good. Loved the twists and find myself liking Toby a lot more after this book.

----------------

Portuguese review:

Foi o quarto livro, Later Eclipses que me cativou. Dei por mim a querer ler mais e mais, porque o enredo é mais intrincado e há um grande desenvolvimento por parte da October (que passou a ser "Toby" para mim apenas a partir deste livro). Neste livro sabemos mais sobre o passado de October e sobre a identidade da sua misteriosa mãe Amandine. Este quarto livro é mais trabalhado em termos de personagens, de história e de emoção.  ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend

No good to us: though the wisdom of nature can

Reason it thus and thus, yet nature finds itself

Scourged by the sequent effects: love cools,

Friendship falls off, brothers divide: in

Cities, mutinies; in countries, discord; in

Palaces, treason; and the bond cracked 'twixt son

And father...

-William Shakespeare, King Lear
This book is for Amy.
Everyone should have a fiddler at the crossroads.
The downtown San Francisco Safeway was practically deserted.

"The half-Fae private detective is once again run through the wringer when problems plaguing the San Francisco Fae community strike home on a personal level. First, in an unprecedented, unexpected move, the Queen of the Mists promotes Toby to countess. Given that the Queen hates her, it's quite obviously a trap, but not something Toby can refuse or avoid. Subsequently, several of Toby's closest friends are struck down through poison and illness, and she's accused of murder. Has an enemy from Toby's past resurfaced, or is she losing her mind? Physically, emotionally, and magically drained, faced with tragedy and despair, Toby's forced to deal with the long-hidden truth behind her Fae heritage."… (more)

75 wanted1 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,901,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible