Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4) by…

Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4) (edition 2011)

by Seanan McGuire

Member:willowsmom
Title:Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4)
Authors:Seanan McGuire
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: paperback / softback, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:series, fae

Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire

I started this book a year or so ago and read it most of the way through. I quit, when Toby Daye, the protagonist, was beaten, exhausted and nearly dead, and was suddenly in a position where she needed to rush off and face down the bad guy. That was a pattern I had seen too often in this series, as a way that the author raised the tension, and I was tired of it. I just didn't have any interest in reading farther.

This time, I finished the book,and I have mixed feelings about the ending. After Toby rushes off into battle, weakened and underprepared, she does not manage to win against all odds due to her strength of will, blind luck, or the like. I don't want to give away a major spoiler, but she actually loses (!), and then her mother, insane and missing for decades, steps in. There are major revelations that follow logically from things in previous volumes. I give McGuire lots of credit for clearly having plotted this out. On the other hand, it does make some major changes in Toby that I'm not sure improve her as a protagonist. Mixed feelings, and I want to see where this goes before I decide what I think about it. ( )
  teckelvik | Feb 9, 2014 |
The first book in the series that really starts addressing the mystery of Toby's mother and the fish incident, and I find myself vastly appreciating Seanan Mcguire's ability to pace a series.

The most common types of series roughly fall into into two categories. There's the stable, loosely linked ones with no set endpoint, just a protagonist and their buddies having adventures and growing or not over time. Or there's the three to five book series with a set endpoint, but each book barely stands alone as a story in and of itself. Series that fall in between - that manage both the set endpoint and the standalone interest - are much rarer, probably because they're having to juggle two different story pacings at once.

I would have to say that this book convinced me that Seanan Mcguire may actually be one of the best writers currently writing that third type of series. Obviously, it will have to wait until she finishes a series that isn't a trilogy to confirm or deny this, but this book got me invested in the short term and long term story in a way that's rare for authors to really pull off. The last book in the series got me interested in what this series can do in a standalone book, but this one got me interested in where this series is going in a way that not many books manage. ( )
  trouthe | Sep 23, 2013 |
Late Eclipses (October Daye Series #4) RATING: 4 stars.

This one was actually pretty good. Loved the twists and find myself liking Toby a lot more after this book.

----------------

Portuguese review:

Foi o quarto livro, Later Eclipses que me cativou. Dei por mim a querer ler mais e mais, porque o enredo é mais intrincado e há um grande desenvolvimento por parte da October (que passou a ser "Toby" para mim apenas a partir deste livro). Neste livro sabemos mais sobre o passado de October e sobre a identidade da sua misteriosa mãe Amandine. Este quarto livro é mais trabalhado em termos de personagens, de história e de emoção.  ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Before the first book, October was turned into a fish for trying to rescue Luna and Rosalyn from the clutches of Simon and Oleander. But now, Oleander is back. A master illusionist and poisoner and a brilliant assassin, she is hunting October and those she loves.

As people she loves and values are brought down, October has to find a cure for the poison and catch Oleander before more people are lost. Or discover whether Orleander actually exists and isn’t just a figment of her own breaking mind?

As if an arch enemy poisoning people weren’t enough, her rival and other enemy, Rosalyn, ends up with unprecedented power in the Shadowed Halls. And the unstable and dangerous Queen of Northern California has her own vendetta against October – and is determined to settle the score. And here are these murders, ideal for framing.

And in the process, October learns far more about Amandine and herself than she ever imagined

As far as mysteries go, it was an odd one. There wasn’t choice of villains or really choice of methods. From almost the word go we knew it was Oleander, in the Knowe, with the Poison. There’s more detective skill goes into a game of Cluedo than that. However, I don’t think it was a mystery or a detective story per se – though there was a considerable amount of detection involved in finding the exact vector of the poison – so maybe it’s a different kind of detective story.

I think far more it counts as a part action book, part political intrigue. October doesn’t need to find out whodunit so much as howdunnit and how to stab whodunit repeatedly when we have Rosalyn and the Queen on her back and so little of her normal support network. And I liked it. I was curious as to what would happen next, I wanted to see how the political intrigue would developed and I was interested to see how they would actually find their way through the maze and actually resolve everything. I never really knew what was coming next or how the plot would resolve – and it was a fascinating trip to the end as October dodged the obstacles in her way to finally confront the big bad in true heroic fashion.

The world continues to be a fascinating mixture of so many different fae all with their own quirks and abilities and culture. I also love the big revelations we’re getting now – about Amandine and October and the sudden, completely unexpected twist the entire plot has taken

And Danny the taxi driver is fun and awesome and has pet monstrosities. Which sound deadly and cute – and I want one. Quentin, on the other hand, is a character I’ve not sure I like. I don’t find him unlikeable, but nor do I especially see what role he plays in the story.

I was less happy with October’s constant blaming of herself for various things – she does that a lot and it’s unfun. I also think the love triangle between her, Tybalt and Connor is going to vex me – but so far it’s handled well and not distracting to the story yet.

I can actually understand Rosalyn’s jealousy of October, and even her hatred – but I’m also extremely leery of Rosalyn being presented as dangerous and menacing because she is crazy. It’s been there since she first appeared and its only escalated – Rosalyn can’t be dangerous because she hates Toby or is conniving and power hungry or even just a malicious, evil person – no we have to bring out the crazy. This is even worse when we consider that the queen, with her hatred of October is, again, described as unstable and crazy. Even Sylvester is described as unstable and dangerous from grief. Add on that October thinks she’s going insane and killing people and crazy Amandine, the terrible mother – there’s a commonality of mental illness and danger here that I don’t like at all

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
The fourth book in the October Daye series begins with sad tidings and has Toby once again thrown into a much bigger battle than she's prepared for with old enemies returning and new enemies arriving. What make Toby make it through these (and other) impossible circumstances is not just her bravery and skills with knives, but the love and trust her allies have in her and their willingness to help. Actually, watching her friendships grow change and develop is one of the great things about this series.

Like most of the October Daye books, there's a kind of zig-zag pattern to the plot with Toby going from here to there and back again in a kind of manic trying to figure things out. Sometimes it's a little too much action, action, action without much retrospection.

But that's a minor quibble, because this series is so much fun and I can't wait to read the next book. ( )
  andreablythe | Jul 26, 2013 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend

No good to us: though the wisdom of nature can

Reason it thus and thus, yet nature finds itself

Scourged by the sequent effects: love cools,

Friendship falls off, brothers divide: in

Cities, mutinies; in countries, discord; in

Palaces, treason; and the bond cracked 'twixt son

And father...

-William Shakespeare, King Lear
This book is for Amy.
Everyone should have a fiddler at the crossroads.
The downtown San Francisco Safeway was practically deserted.

"The half-Fae private detective is once again run through the wringer when problems plaguing the San Francisco Fae community strike home on a personal level. First, in an unprecedented, unexpected move, the Queen of the Mists promotes Toby to countess. Given that the Queen hates her, it's quite obviously a trap, but not something Toby can refuse or avoid. Subsequently, several of Toby's closest friends are struck down through poison and illness, and she's accused of murder. Has an enemy from Toby's past resurfaced, or is she losing her mind? Physically, emotionally, and magically drained, faced with tragedy and despair, Toby's forced to deal with the long-hidden truth behind her Fae heritage."… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,649,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible