Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4) by…

Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4) (edition 2011)

by Seanan McGuire

Title:Late Eclipses (October Daye, Book 4)
Authors:Seanan McGuire
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: paperback / softback, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:series, fae

Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire

This is deff the book that changed my mind about what this series is about. The writing is still stellar, but the direction that Toby is being taken in makes so much more sense. She is no longer a Fae PI with no direction... She has more of a purpose which gives definition to her actions. Lots of Tybalt which I loved, and too much Conner. Quintin is still growing and it's fun to see. May is introduced in this one too... I think. Can't totally remember, but I feel like this is the one about Toby's Fetch. Either way, much love for this series. I will be seriously put out when I have to wait for a new release. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I love October ( )
  mystic506 | Sep 3, 2016 |
Toby becomes a duchess. Then has to figure out who killed Lily and is trying to kill Luna. Oleander is killed and Rayseline is shown how whacked out she is. Toby's mom Amandine changes her to her true self and she learns she isn't half Daoine Sidhe. Looking forward to the next in the series! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I picked this book up expecting it to be another mystery of the week entry in the series, but what I found was a surprising development in the overarching plot that kept my heart in my throat but also left me dubious about the possible directions the next book could take.

The plot starts out similarly to the previous entry in the series. Someone close to Toby is in danger. In this case, it’s Lily, and she’s sick, slowly fading out of existence. Over the course of the book, others close to Toby end up sick as well, as it soon becomes clear (this is really not a spoiler, it’s revealed early on) that someone is poisoning them. When Oleander showed up, I nearly groaned at how obvious it felt that she is the one to blame for all of this. But it’s not quite that straight-forward, and there’s also a sub-plot of Toby possibly going crazy….which changelings are known to do in this world. The book then isn’t just about Toby trying to solve the mystery, it’s also about her trying to determine if her blood has doomed her to sink into insanity. This gives the plot enough depth to keep it interesting.

Long-standing characters receive more depth of character development and new ones are added. Toby cotinues to have the wit that keeps the book upbeat even when things are grim.

As for the plot twist, I can’t talk about it much without spoilers. The spoiler free review would be that I am concerned the big overarching plot twist moves things a bit too far into one hero to save us land, which isn’t a fantasy plot I personally usually enjoy. For the spoiler version of this, see the next paragraph.

It is revealed that Toby is not the type of Fae she thought, she is rather a very rare type of Fae. This type of Fae is capable of changing the make-up of their own blood. She can thus morph into more Fae, changeling, or human as she desires. It also turns out her mother is from the first born, which makes her kind of Fae royalty. My issue with this is one of the things I like so much about the series is that Toby lacks the magical powers to the extent the Fae have. She also doesn’t fit into the human world. But she fights for her right to be in the world she chooses to live in, and her value in the Fae world is due to how hard she tries and her brains, not her blood. This plot development feels like it’s making it all about her blood. Her power is due to whose daughter she is, not who she herself is. That’s just not a message I’m as fond of.

Overall, this is an action-packed entry in the series that visits another mystery with enough different sub-plots and twists to keep it interesting. Fans of the series will be surprised by the big overarching plot development toward the end of the book and will be eager to pick up the next one to see where this plot development goes.

Check out my full review, featuring quotes! ( )
  gaialover | Aug 8, 2015 |
I started this book a year or so ago and read it most of the way through. I quit, when Toby Daye, the protagonist, was beaten, exhausted and nearly dead, and was suddenly in a position where she needed to rush off and face down the bad guy. That was a pattern I had seen too often in this series, as a way that the author raised the tension, and I was tired of it. I just didn't have any interest in reading farther.

This time, I finished the book,and I have mixed feelings about the ending. After Toby rushes off into battle, weakened and underprepared, she does not manage to win against all odds due to her strength of will, blind luck, or the like. I don't want to give away a major spoiler, but she actually loses (!), and then her mother, insane and missing for decades, steps in. There are major revelations that follow logically from things in previous volumes. I give McGuire lots of credit for clearly having plotted this out. On the other hand, it does make some major changes in Toby that I'm not sure improve her as a protagonist. Mixed feelings, and I want to see where this goes before I decide what I think about it. ( )
  teckelvik | Feb 9, 2014 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend

No good to us: though the wisdom of nature can

Reason it thus and thus, yet nature finds itself

Scourged by the sequent effects: love cools,

Friendship falls off, brothers divide: in

Cities, mutinies; in countries, discord; in

Palaces, treason; and the bond cracked 'twixt son

And father...

-William Shakespeare, King Lear
This book is for Amy.
Everyone should have a fiddler at the crossroads.
The downtown San Francisco Safeway was practically deserted.

"The half-Fae private detective is once again run through the wringer when problems plaguing the San Francisco Fae community strike home on a personal level. First, in an unprecedented, unexpected move, the Queen of the Mists promotes Toby to countess. Given that the Queen hates her, it's quite obviously a trap, but not something Toby can refuse or avoid. Subsequently, several of Toby's closest friends are struck down through poison and illness, and she's accused of murder. Has an enemy from Toby's past resurfaced, or is she losing her mind? Physically, emotionally, and magically drained, faced with tragedy and despair, Toby's forced to deal with the long-hidden truth behind her Fae heritage."… (more)

67 wanted1 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,785,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible