Eona by Alison Goodman

Eona (2011)

by Alison Goodman

Power corrupts Eona. Lots of blood and guts. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This book lived up to the first one. I loved the story and how the author ended anyone who fell in love with Eon should definitely read the sequel. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
I'll admit readily enough that I enjoyed Eona more than Eon. About halfway through Eona I realized Eona didn't annoy me anymore--I found her whiny and emotionally unreliable through the course of the first book and first half of the second. (Yes, she's a teenager under a lot of stress and pressure, but not every teenager turns to drugs when they're under stress and pressure.)

I also came to appreciate Kygo as a more fleshed-out character. He got angry and possessive and wasn't to be fully trusted about some things. Ido's transformation from bad to good(-ish) and back to the bad guy was fun to watch, too--although I confess I didn't actually buy such an abrupt descent back into villainy. Good attempt on Goodman's part, one that was mostly successful.

The ending also stuck with me. Not the events of the ending, per say, but where the book left off. It also felt abrupt, but I've been thinking about it and I think it was the perfect place to end the book. It was the end of the story. The only reason it felt abrupt is because there was no fluff at the end. No hints into the future--beyond Kygo previously assuring Eona, Ido and the reader that she would always be his Naiso, of course, but that's not very much compared to what both YA and fantasy readers are used to these days. In that respect, it was an unconventional ending, and I respect Goodman for it. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
I am at a loss. Truly.

I loved Ryko. His quiet honor, and unfailing loyalty towards Dela made me like him instantly. His death was something I knew was coming, so when it came I was somewhat prepared. But it still hurt though. Poor Dela. Such a strong soul.

Eona and Kygo's love story impressed me. Their relationship was built on dangerous ground, but they somehow made it work. The inevitable revelations seemed a bit rushed, though, but that's probably just me.

Dillion's death was a tragedy. Such a cruel way for someone as innocent to die--caught in the holds of madness forced upon him by a power-hungry asshole.

I truly thought Ido was going to change. In the end, Eona's influence towards him came a little too late; he was too far gone inside his ambition that he couldn't see what's in front of him. I wish I knew why he became the way he was.

The dragon's rebirth was magnificent as expected. In the end, everything was tied up neatly. ( )
  eli_vin | Apr 16, 2018 |
This book lead me to believe one thing about certain characters or events before revealing the truth. Shocking, but pleasant surprises all around! ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Facing the ultimate battle for control of the land she calls home, Eona finds herself waging an internal battle every bit as devastating as the war threatening to break out across the kingdom.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alison Goodman's book Eona was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible