Eona by Alison Goodman

Eona (2011)

by Alison Goodman

2011 (7) 2012 (3) 2013 (3) action (5) adventure (10) ARC (6) Asian (3) Book 2 (3) dragon (4) Dragoneye (3) dragons (41) ebook (9) fantasy (81) fiction (13) high fantasy (4) library (3) magic (17) politics (4) power (3) read (5) read in 2011 (6) romance (6) series (8) sff (3) teen (6) to-read (33) war (5) YA (24) YA Fantasy (8) young adult (29)

I think I came in the second part again, definintely getting part one! This one has it all. Dragons, romance, battles, storms, family issues, reunions, loss, loyalty, betrayal, it was sooo good! Can't wait to find out the beginning of the story. Eona and the emporer are well matched and I can't help seeing Mulan in Eona. I love that I can track back to my world civ classes and get a feel for the fuedalist times and have sort of an atmosphere. All of the support cast are really amazing at their individual stories are worth their own books! I would love to have Lady D get her own story. Then again maybe it is explained in the first book... I really need to read it. ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Mar 10, 2014 |
I have to say I really enjoyed Eon/Eona alot. Remember people, the book has a different title based on different countries. The US version is Eon/Eona while the UK version is different. Anyway I found Eona every bit as engaging as the the first book. I did kinda miss the city though. I really loved the architecture and Alison Goodman's way of describing everything through Eon's view. Like I said in my review for Eon I don't think I've ever read such a descriptive first person pov book before. I really liked Eon and loved her progression throughout the two books. Remember this isn't your standard YA fantasy. There are some major adult themes going on here such as Eona's dual nature, prostitution, A woman's soul born into a man's body type stuff. The ongoing themes are very adult too.

I see alot of people not liking Eona's character because she makes bad decisions and gets blamed even when it's not her fault. Personally I found it very refreshing. I get tired of all the goody goody too perfect female leads or even worse yet the goody goody I'm a victim and can't do anything without big strong and dumb to protect me and will just so like kill myself if he like ever leaves me. Sorry about that but honestly Eona very much represents real life. People screw up - ALOT! I make bad decisions everyday and guess what? If you make a decision and something happens that's bad because of your decision even if you didn't know that thing would happen you get blamed. It happens at work, at school, heck everywhere in the real world. That's why I loved Eona. She was real, she didn't know all the answers and much like real life she was kinda winging it as she went. I really loved her evolution from being a man in a man's world to finally rediscovering the woman inside of her. The world didn't need another man it needed Eona but she'd buried the female part of her so deep that no matter what kind of dress you put on her she'll never fully be a woman and I kinda liked that. She'd lived in both worlds and now resides somewhere inbetween. Oh don't get me wrong she's all woman but she's also very hardened. Will fight when needed and will love just as strongly when needed.

Sigh, I could go on and on all day. Read Eon/Eona. Don't pass on such a rich world with even richer characters who are very true to life. These books have so much to offer: Plot, characters, sights, smells and sounds are all in rich vivid detail. I could almost smell the Cinnamon :) ( )
  Jamiesbookblog | Feb 12, 2014 |
Eon's secret that she is really Eona is out, mostly only to her supporters to keep her hidden as long as possible from Sethon's reach. But the lies and secrets in Eona's life are still ongoing. She holds back secrets that she's afraid would mean the death of her and is slowly losing herself. I could see Eona falling into the trap of believing her own lies and also having difficulty trusting her friends. It doesn't help that Lord Ido is corrupting her mind using her doubts to turn her against the people she should trust. Eona is keeping things about her ancestors from the new Pearl Emperor Kygo and feels betrayed when she finds out he's keeping things from her too. Eona as uncovered her femininity, she has come into her herself as Lady Dragoneye Eona but now in this conclusion of the series she has to learn to trust and earn trust and find out who she is as a person. I continue to be awed by the Asian influences and the epic world building. A very good concise series, not overdone or unnecessarily drawn out. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The follow up book to Goodman's amazing Eon did not disappoint. Falling back into the world of Eona and dragons that are dying out, unless one is willing to make a sacrifice to save them all. Eona must save the kingdom when she has no one that she can truly trust and limited ability to do the fantastic events that will be required of her. I loved this book and the world that Alison Goodman created. I am truly sorry to see it end, but what an end it was. ( )
  ELBrown | Jan 7, 2014 |

Facing the ultimate battle for control of the land she calls home, Eona finds herself waging an internal battle every bit as devastating as the war threatening to break out across the kingdom.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Eona by Alison Goodman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible