Eona by Alison Goodman

Eona (2011)

by Alison Goodman

This books carries off where book one ended, at the brink of a war for succession as Eona is unmasked as a girl and on the run as a fugitive.

This is a solid sequel, though I think the flaws are more apparent in this book than in book one.

I didn't like the love triangle just because it felt a little too YA girly and I didn't always trust Eona's emotions. Readers can never be certain if it's her own emotions, Kinra's lingering emotions, the emotions from her powers, or what. It makes for an unreliable narrator and frustrated me a little.

But again, Goodman is fantastic at writing subtle emotions. Very, very lovely scenes where we are given the space to imagine the emotions that move the character to slam a fist down or turn away from their loved one.

However, I do have to comment on something that I've mentioned about book one and say that there are just such few characters. There are only a handful of characters that matter - and if someone has a name, they are important. I guess it's okay, but it makes for a rather empty world. And it also makes for plot conspiracies to be less complex (and thus slightly less interesting) because there are only a couple of people's intentions conflicting.

Another thing I started noticing in the book is that the plot seems choppy. As if there are designated scenes that had to occur in order to move the plot along. There are very little transitions. In one chapter we're rescuing Lord Ido, and then all of a sudden we meet Eona's mom. It's not terribly jarring or obvious, but since this a slightly longer YA book, it becomes noticeable in the middle.

The ending was too quick. I tend to attribute that to the lack of transition, but ugh the quick battle and sudden aims of the characters to bring the book to the end felt false. There is no resolution to Eona's conflicts on controlling people she has healed. I mean, obviously the power to do so is gone, but she never resolved the ethical and moral conflict behind those scenes. We don't see the aftermath of what happens after the loss of dragon power. And what happens to controlling the elements and natural disasters? We don't get to understand Lady Dela's grief or see how the side characters are wrapped up. I just felt there was something lacking. Like an epilogue maybe.

Overall, a solid companion to Eon. Three stars because it was good with a couple of flaws. I don't think I would reread this series though.
Recommended for YA fantasy readers with a good female lead. Obviously read the first book first. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Not quite as good as the first, but pretty good. A little slower. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I think I came in the second part again, definintely getting part one! This one has it all. Dragons, romance, battles, storms, family issues, reunions, loss, loyalty, betrayal, it was sooo good! Can't wait to find out the beginning of the story. Eona and the emporer are well matched and I can't help seeing Mulan in Eona. I love that I can track back to my world civ classes and get a feel for the fuedalist times and have sort of an atmosphere. All of the support cast are really amazing at their individual stories are worth their own books! I would love to have Lady D get her own story. Then again maybe it is explained in the first book... I really need to read it. ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Mar 10, 2014 |
I have to say I really enjoyed Eon/Eona alot. Remember people, the book has a different title based on different countries. The US version is Eon/Eona while the UK version is different. Anyway I found Eona every bit as engaging as the the first book. I did kinda miss the city though. I really loved the architecture and Alison Goodman's way of describing everything through Eon's view. Like I said in my review for Eon I don't think I've ever read such a descriptive first person pov book before. I really liked Eon and loved her progression throughout the two books. Remember this isn't your standard YA fantasy. There are some major adult themes going on here such as Eona's dual nature, prostitution, A woman's soul born into a man's body type stuff. The ongoing themes are very adult too.

I see alot of people not liking Eona's character because she makes bad decisions and gets blamed even when it's not her fault. Personally I found it very refreshing. I get tired of all the goody goody too perfect female leads or even worse yet the goody goody I'm a victim and can't do anything without big strong and dumb to protect me and will just so like kill myself if he like ever leaves me. Sorry about that but honestly Eona very much represents real life. People screw up - ALOT! I make bad decisions everyday and guess what? If you make a decision and something happens that's bad because of your decision even if you didn't know that thing would happen you get blamed. It happens at work, at school, heck everywhere in the real world. That's why I loved Eona. She was real, she didn't know all the answers and much like real life she was kinda winging it as she went. I really loved her evolution from being a man in a man's world to finally rediscovering the woman inside of her. The world didn't need another man it needed Eona but she'd buried the female part of her so deep that no matter what kind of dress you put on her she'll never fully be a woman and I kinda liked that. She'd lived in both worlds and now resides somewhere inbetween. Oh don't get me wrong she's all woman but she's also very hardened. Will fight when needed and will love just as strongly when needed.

Sigh, I could go on and on all day. Read Eon/Eona. Don't pass on such a rich world with even richer characters who are very true to life. These books have so much to offer: Plot, characters, sights, smells and sounds are all in rich vivid detail. I could almost smell the Cinnamon :) ( )
  Jamiesbookblog | Feb 12, 2014 |

Facing the ultimate battle for control of the land she calls home, Eona finds herself waging an internal battle every bit as devastating as the war threatening to break out across the kingdom.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Eona by Alison Goodman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible