An Ice-Cream War by William Boyd

An Ice-Cream War (original 1982; edition 1999)

by William Boyd

Member:Veej53
Title:An Ice-Cream War
Authors:William Boyd
Info:Vintage International (1999), Paperback, 408 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction - Literary

An Ice-Cream War by William Boyd (1982)

Africa during WW1, a farmer, some other minor characters - it all could have made for a very boring book. In Boyd's hands, however, the characters shine and we get a fascinating glimpse into another time. The marriage in the book is one that profoundly depresses me because it rings true for so many of the marriages I am acquainted with... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
An Ice Cream War is the story of American, German, and British lives in the little-known East African theater of World War I. As indicated by the book title, the British expected the campaign to be a joke. The action takes place mostly in the European colonies of East Africa and England between 1914 and 1919. Some of the characters expect war, and some doubt it will occur, but none of the characters have any idea how devastating the war will be to everyone, even those far from the battlefield.

The book draws four separate narrative strands together in an engaging novel of war, love and revenge. Walter Smith owns a farm in British East Africa. Just across the border, in German East Africa, are his neighbors, Erich von Bishop and his wife Liesl. Back in England Felix Cobb returns home from boarding school for the wedding of his older brother, Gabriel. Gabriel is a professional soldier, a captain in the British Army, but Felix is more of an intellectual currently dabbling with pacifism. For all their flaws, the important characters share a sense of humanity and fatalism in the face of hardship. Through the course of the novel some issues are resolved, but few if any are resolved in ways that the characters want or expect. Despite the beliefs they held concerning armed conflict between nations before the outbreak of war, their beliefs change, and they come to realize that no one anywhere is immune to the effects of war. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
For most of us, any mention of World War I conjures up images of trench warfare on the Western front in France and Belgium. However, there were other fronts, including East Africa. Boyd's novel examines the war's effects in East Africa through the experiences of an American resident in British East Africa, a German couple in German East Africa, and an English family whose oldest son was an officer in an Indian Regiment that was sent to East Africa. What appear to be separate stories eventually intersect.

The novel held my interest but failed to engage my emotions. I felt like an observer rather than a participant. I think the characters had a lot to do with that. The characters are all so self-absorbed that the war is merely a means to their own ends for each of them. The few female characters all seem underdeveloped.

One of the minor characters steals the scene each time he appears. Wheech-Browning is a government official in British East Africa before the war, and he holds various military posts during the war. He's so focused on following regulations to the letter that he's oblivious to the chaos and destruction that he leaves in his wake. Wheech-Browning is described as a tall and lanky man, and my mental image of him looks a lot like John Cleese. ( )
  cbl_tn | Nov 29, 2015 |
WWI was fought not only in Europe but also in East Africa, especially between the British and the German armies. This Anglo-German war provides the backdrop for the intertwining drama in the lives of an American, a pair of English brothers and a German couple.

Boyd's strength in this historical fiction is the satirical humor he manages to inject in what are some very horrific and tragic situations brought upon by the war. ( )
  cameling | Apr 1, 2014 |
This was my first book by William Boyd and it has immediately won him a place on my favorite author’s list. An Ice Cream War is a beautifully written story that delves into a corner of World War I of which very little has been written. Set in Tanzania, Kenya and England, the story follows a number of people of various nationalities whose lives are impacted by the war and who, during the course of the book, come to share unique connections with each other.

I found this a wonderfully readable story, both dark and humorous at times. The portions of the book that were set in England introduced one of the most dysfunctional families I have read about in some time. The American and German were both farmers and neighbours that were destined to end up on opposite sides, but they also shared in the stifled coldness of their marriages. One had a wife who never raised her head out of a book, while the other escaped both literally and mentally to her home in Germany. So many excellent characters were scattered throughout this book, including the unforgettable Wheech-Browning, a upper class British dolt whose appearance always brought disaster to someone.

An Ice Cream War is an excellent mix of satire, humor, pathos and great story telling. Both the multiple plot lines and the well developed characters made this a five star read for me. I am so glad that I have finally picked up a book by this author and I look forward to discovering more of his works. ( )
6 vote DeltaQueen50 | Sep 14, 2013 |
'What do you think would happen,' Colonel Theodore Roosevelt asked his son Kermit, 'if I shot an elephant in the balls?'

"Rich in character and incident, An Ice-Cream War fulfills the ambition of the historical novel at its best."
--The New York Times Book Review

Booker Prize Finalist

"Boyd has more than fulfilled the bright promise of [his] first novel. . . . He is capable not only of some very funny satire but also of seriousness and compassion."  --Michiko Kakutani, The New York Times

1914. In a hotel room in German East Africa, American farmer Walter Smith dreams of Theodore Roosevelt. As he sleeps, a railway passenger swats at flies, regretting her decision to return to the Dark Continent--and to her husband. On a faraway English riverbank, a jealous Felix Cobb watches his brother swim, and curses his sister-in-law-to-be. And in the background of the
world's daily chatter: rumors of an Anglo-German conflict, the likes of which no one has ever seen.

In An Ice-Cream War, William Boyd brilliantly evokes the private dramas of a generation upswept by the winds of war. After his German neighbor burns his crops--with an apology and a smile--Walter Smith takes up arms on behalf of Great Britain. And when Felix's brother marches off to defend British East Africa, he pursues, against his better judgment, a forbidden love affair. As the sons of the world match wits and weapons on a continent thousands of miles from home, desperation makes bedfellows of enemies and traitors of friends and family. By turns comic and quietly wise, An Ice-Cream War deftly renders lives capsized by violence, chance, and the irrepressible human capacity for love.

"Funny, assured, and cleanly, expansively told, a seriocomic romp. Boyd gives us studies of people caught in the side pockets of calamity and dramatizes their plights with humor, detail and grit."  --Harper's

"Boyd has crafted a quiet, seamless prose in which story and characters flow effortlessly out of a fertile imagination. . . . The reader emerges deeply moved." --Newsday

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:36 -0400)

Primarily a gripping story of the men and women swept up by the passions of love and battle, William Boyd's magnificently entertaining novel also elicits the cruel futility and tragedy of it all.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,049,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible