Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare…

Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible

by Steven Furtick

The book is based around the verse in Joshua 10 that tells of how Joshua asked God to make the sun stand still, and God answered by having the sun stay up for a full extra day.

It's a good book. It encourages you to start believing God for the impossible in your life. Pastor Furtick believes that, if Joshua could ask God to make the sun stand still for him, and Peter could ask God to let him walk on water, then we can certainly ask God for the seemingly impossible in our own lives, too. Of course, that also bears reminding that we have to ask in line with God’s will… amongst a few other “conditions”, explained in the book. But, I think it’s all very sound, and so I’ve even asked God for my own “Sun Stand Still” miracle: I want a bookstore to open up here in my town within the next month, as my family needs provision (we need income), and I believe that my calling involves books, somehow, some way. SO, we’ll see… but, I’m also convinced that, if that bookstore doesn’t show up, God has a good reason for it, and my calling may come in some other form. I’m okay with that. But… I had to try/ask. ( )
  mizbooks | May 18, 2011 |
Steven Furtick, pastor of Elevation Church in North Carolina, invites his readers to step out in “audacious faith” in his debut work "Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible". Furtick’s challenge to pray boldly and courageously for the impossible is based on a study of the Israelites’ defeat of the Amorite armies in Joshua 10. In this riveting account of a major battle, Old Testament hero Joshua delivered a “gloriously unorthodox prayer”: He asked God to stop the sun in the sky, to “freeze time on behalf of his people” in order to defeat their enemies. And God grants Joshua’s seemingly impossible request. In a stunning show of His power over Creation and one of the Bible’s greatest miracles, God stops the sun in its place in the sky, and the Israelites are victorious over the Amorites.

Furtick’s passion to see the same kind of faith demonstrated in every believer’s life stirred a growing spark in my soul as I kept reading "Sun Stand Still". This author’s gift for teaching Scripture and making it imminently practical is rare. He simply, but eloquently, expresses the two Truths on which our faith stands and from which God-given visions are birthed: God is good and God is great. From here, we can tap into God’s desire to shine through us in the “impossible”. Broken relationships. A need in someone’s life we are uniquely designed to meet. Weaknesses we can’t conquer. A call to step out into a new career. Furtick’s excitement is contagious as he recalls moments through the years when he has seen God move powerfully through someone’s life in everyday circumstances.

Each chapter of this book is packed with nuggets of Truth that had me jotting notes and highlighting quotes. Mr. Furtick never strays from his confession that true faith is not based on our ability…but on God’s. “The unfailing faithfulness of God―not our capability or performance―is the solid ground of our journey in audacious faith.” He even took me by surprise when he confidently states “The size of our vision isn’t…determined by who God is.” He goes on to explain that what we believe about God is the most important thing about us. “The scope and impact of your vision will be determined by who you believe God is”. I found both great comfort and renewed hope as this author reiterated the basis for our belief: God’s faithfulness, His goodness and His power.

Lest we remain passive observers, however, this pastor also admonishes his readers to act on faith. He points out an easy-to-miss piece of Joshua’s story, the story of the day the sun stood still. In Joshua 10:9, we learn that Joshua had spent the night before his amazing prayer in an all-night march. Furtick warns us to be prepared, like Joshua and his army, to move, to act, and to take the next step in obedience when we ask God for the impossible. “Audacious prayer must be tethered to practical obedience.” His wise words call us to step out with action, initiating changes in our behavior and choices as we trust God to do the rest.

In his own words, Furtick’s book “invites you to believe that you were made to experience the miraculous on a regular basis.” He then proceeds to outline a solid, Scripturally-based blueprint to live as a Christ-follower beyond the ordinary. And his engaging style, coupled with genuine love for the Lord, His Word, and His people, makes the invitation all the more winsome. "Sun Stand Still" will ignite a genuine desire in you to be an instrument of His power, to impact the world around you, and to pray for the impossible! ( )
  jpogue | Mar 20, 2011 |
An exhortation to more authentic and "audacious" faith loosely based around the story of Joshua in the Valley of Aijalon.

In general, this is probably one of the best treatises on faith I have seen out there-- the author uses many stories, both Biblical and personal, to illustrate the nature of Biblical faith. His portrayal is very realistic and experientially based, and while the writing style is informal, it is rarely pedantic. The author does well at speaking authentically, realistically, and personally. My only qualms would be the insistence on the Protestant way of looking at faith. The author understands the imperative of obedience and works to have true faith while still trying to hold on to the "faith only" ideology.

The author creates many of his own definitions based on his experiences. He explains them within the book but they still may cause a little confusion for some readers. On the whole, however, this is an excellent book about the type of faith that believers in God ought to have and how they can find themselves empowered to do great things in His Kingdom through His power.

*-- book received as part of an early review program ( )
  deusvitae | Sep 26, 2010 |

Steven Furtick challenges you to believe that the audacious faith that we see in the Bible, the faith that caused a man to pray and see the sun stand still in the sky, is the same faith we can claim for ourselves today. --from publisher description

100 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,539,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible