Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book…

Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 8) (edition 2010)

by J. R. Ward (Author)

1,861946,612 (4.06)38
"Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark warrior cloth as her brother. Because she is a fighter by nature, and a maverick when it comes to the traditional role of Chosen females, there is no place for her on the Far Side ... and no role for her on the front lines of the war, either. When she suffers a paralyzing injury, human surgeon Dr. Manuel Manello is called in to treat her as only he can--and he soon gets sucked into her dangerous secret world. Although he never before believed in things that go bump in the night--like vampires--he finds himself more than willing to be seduced by the powerful female who marks both his body and his soul. As the two find so much more than an erotic connection, the human and vampire worlds collide ... just as a centuries-old score catches up with Payne and puts both her love and her life in deadly jeopardy"--… (more)
Member:soulfulldarkhunter
Title:Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 8)
Authors:J. R. Ward (Author)
Info:New American Library (2010), Edition: 1st, 528 pages

Lover Unleashed by J. R. Ward

English (91)  German (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (93)
hb
  5083mitzi | Apr 4, 2021 |
I'm not completely sure how i feel about this book. I didn't likely as much as previous books in this series. I don't know if it was because the writing changed, or if I've just gotten fed up with the writing style. I read something recently by an editor, I think, to the effect that writing shouldn't be so full of vernacular that it won't be understandable several years down the road. I feel like this book, even more than the others in this series, suffers from that. From slang (shitkickers, coffin nail, "true") to pop culture references (Al Roker?), to annoying spellings (veeeeerrrrry, niiiiiice, annnnnnnd, etc.), to a lack of question marks (I understand it was likely a stylistic decision, but it was a very annoying one) it very much feels like something that was written in 2010. Written in 2010 as an exercise in how to be clever.

Now, for the story. It felt very disjointed. As much as I love them, I thought the Qhuinn/Blaylock parts were unnecessary herein. Of course their story needs to progress, but it hardly made any progress in this book. The only major thing that happened with that storyline was that Qhuinn realized he loved Blay, and took up celibacy, exercise, and self-deprivation. Nothing that couldn't have been covered in their own book.

The storyline about the serial murders seemed like a cheap way to introduce a new character, de la Cruz's new partner. That line didn't do much for me, except to make me think that Veck was the killer. With his good/evil thing he has going, I'm sure we'll see more of him, for better or worse.

I totally knew BOOKS ago that Manny and Butch were half brothers. When V got that flash of "brother" when he was with Manny, and we learned about Butch's parentage, I figured that had to be it, since it was obvious that we hadn't seen the last of Manny.

I did like V's come-to-Jesus moment at Butch's hands. It was a long time coming, and I'm glad it did. It also reminded me of how much I wanted the two of them to be more than just best friends. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
I loved this book. I think Manny and Payne were a perfect match together. I had a feeling as the stories progressed and Manny kept being mentioned in passing, that he would be a part of the series somehow but this was a great integration. I loved the strength he possessed and was able to pass onto Payne when it was needed.

Excited Qhuinn and Blay are coming next. Now we just need Jose... :-) ( )
  ktomp17 | Mar 21, 2021 |
Okay, so normally, I skip some chapters simply because they're boring. But I read this from beginning to end, and really fell in love with the characters. I hope she continues writing this series.
  Booksunknown23 | May 18, 2020 |
Awesome book, so many things happening in this book it was amazing to keep up between the growing love of Payne & Manny, V & Jane and his issues that I'm glad he gotten over. But then bringing in new people such as xcor, vek, & David Craner (who I'm quite intrigued about to be honest). Oh then the forming of the love triangle between Blay & Qhuin & Saxton, but now the triangle forming between Qhuinn, Blay, & Layla so now I am sitting here torn between Qhuinn getting with Blay and Now Qhuinn getting with Layla, because let's face it Layla deserves a break this poor girl keeps getting passed over and passed over and all she does it give, and you can tell from herr description that she is beautiful, sweet, and deserving to finding someone, and yes I kinda hope it's Qhuinn. And then Xcor coming along to take Wrath's kingship OMG epic upcoming battle I foresee and lot's and lot's and lot's of more drama. And Vek what is his deal???????? and will Det. Jose ever get it figured out and become a part of the brotherhood world in a way or will he always be on the outskirts....and I must say I'm glad that this story didn't have the scribe virgin in it...it's nice to get a brreak from her too....AWESOME book can't wait for the next one. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |

J. R. Wardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frangione, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sjövik, MariaKääNt.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DEDICATED TO YOU: You, a "brother" indeed. I think you are right where you are supposed to be-- and I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Xcor saw his father killed when he was but five years past his transition.

Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, warrior cloth as her brother: A fighter by nature, and a maverick when it comes to the traditional role of Chosen females, there is no place for her on the Far Side… and no role for her on the front lines of the war, either.

When she suffers a paralyzing injury, human surgeon Dr. Manuel Manello is called in to treat her as only he can- and he soon gets sucked into her dangerous, secret world. Although he never before believed in things that go bump in the night- like vampires- he finds himself more than willing to be seduced by the powerful female who marks both his body and his soul.

As the two find so much more than an erotic connection, the human and vampire worlds collide … just as a centuries old score catches up with Payne and puts both her love and her life in deadly jeopardy.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,323,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible